Mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge

Mckellar

i've got this bit of kit to wire into the ibiza when i get a chance.

It comes with a wiring plug that looks as though there is a loom already built in behind the dash somewhere:

guages.jpg

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Presumably electric as it was part of the complete factory loom. I will get outside and take a picture of the sender unit and send it through.

Basically it is just a sender unit that has a seperate feed for oil pressure. (keeps the original oil temp)

Looking forward to seeing changes in oil temps with oil cooler. Did wonder if oil temp is checked before or after going into the filter.

If after the filter it is still going to read the same as without an oil cooler (temp, mfa) as back up to heat it was once fed back into the engine.

(sorry if considered jacking, just thought about it and is associated to the part you were wondering about!) :redface:

my oil temp used to range from 90 steady driving to 120 (higest one off reading) lapping nurburg ring!!! I fitted oil cooler and never goes past mid 90's now! would recommend to anyone!

i think i will look into additional gauges, i never take my eye off oil temp one as it is

Ste, where have u mounted you oil cooler to? and Ben where you going to munt yours??

Last edited:

Mckellar

Yeah Dave, its an OEM LHD part.

Its sitting in the car just now (just not plugged in) i'll get the part # tonight for you.

Grayboy

Jan 31, 2005
Beckenham
Oil pressure is one of the guages I miss from my 205, saved me from 2 rebuilds both ragging the pants of it when a pipe came away/spilt so noticed as soon as the oil pressure dropped rather than when the engine seized!!

Will be keeping tabs on this one!

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
i've got this bit of kit to wire into the ibiza when i get a chance.

It comes with a wiring plug that looks as though there is a loom already built in behind the dash somewhere:

guages.jpg

Round the ashtray area there should be a 4 wire (from memory) multiplug that connects to the back of those gauges

As for sensors Seat do a double sensor (i've just cashed one on ebay :rolleyes: ) that means you can remove the factory low pressure warning sensor and replace it with the VDO one that has both low pressure and 5 bar oil pressure sensors built in, there's a single wire with plug on the 8v & 16v in the engine bay that plugs into the sensor and then traces back to the multiplug behind the ashtray

Ben16v

Jan 8, 2007
Glastonbury
www.gmvw.co.uk
Roly's got it spot on, thats what i bought and have, couldnt get it from dealer and from what the dealer could say it was a fairly limited run part. the loom part comes from the steering colomn as i found out after stripping the ibiza down but is fed down to be behind the window switches or heater controls. one or the other!

Did well to get the pod there as well mate, thats a difficult thing to pick up iv found. would miss the pocket space though so i will keep mine in the drivers eye line!

With oil cooler, i was thinking low down by the bumper centre grill. plenty of air and wont take a lot away from the radiator.

Just maximum flow and air availability is what im looking for, saw 140 (thing the oil temp gets maxxed out at that temp) and water started getting very hot at castle combe last year and this is the next cooling upgrade to stop it happening again.

Ashley 4 branch to make fit as well so should be very close to getting your power figures dave. thats got to be where your few extra HP are coming from. i'd put money on it!!

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Ashley 4 branch to make fit as well so should be very close to getting your power figures dave. thats got to be where your few extra HP are coming from. i'd put money on it!!

You got a different cam set up to me as well, didn't know Ashley made a manifold for the 16v.

Next you will need is the 3.94 fd and lightened flywheel I've fitted lol

Shocked at you oil temps at castle combe, I rag the hell into it at Eurofest on the SCN session and think the highest I saw was 112.

Mckellar

I wouldnt put money in an Ashley Competition manifold.

Have you seen the quality of their 4 branches? I know 2 people who have them and they have split down the middles and on the welds because they cant cope with the heat (thats with being heatwrapped too)

F2 Ed

now has VAG com
Nov 5, 2006
www.superlite-wheels.com
my oil temp used to range from 90 steady driving to 120 (higest one off reading) lapping nurburg ring!!! I fitted oil cooler and never goes past mid 90's now! would recommend to anyone!

i think i will look into additional gauges, i never take my eye off oil temp one as it is

Something wrong with your car mate :lol:

My oil only get to 74 degrees after 3 hours on a motorway

Highest i have seen is 93

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Something wrong with your car mate :lol:

My oil only get to 74 degrees after 3 hours on a motorway

Highest i have seen is 93

Mine sits at 84 at normal driving but will go to 90 if it's warm out. 74 I would say is low, for my car anyway.... oil temps been like that for almost 4 years now.

Last edited:

Ben16v

Jan 8, 2007
Glastonbury
www.gmvw.co.uk
I think it was Roly, sure i got it of Roly. Lost the lead between the pod and plug in the centre that was made/bought and need to do some wiring. Also need to find out a bit more about your lightened flywheel as well dave!

*with regards to heat. It was running 187 bhp on standard cooling with no oil cooler and being a valver i was using second maybe more than it should be round combe!! Your highest of 93 oil temp was probably not the same sort of driving that track days is its a bit difficult to compare the two.

*With ashley manifolds, i think its like anything, you see people get good ones and bad ones and to be honest i think this one looks alright. They arent 16v ibiza specific but they are mk2 golf 16v. KR ports are the same so you've got no problems. Its just by the bulkhead that the manifold and bulkhead need adjusting. Look into F2 Stu's build thread for more info on that one!!

All in, oil temp, oil pressure and all info you can get is useful, the more you know the less can go wrong.

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
highest of 93 oil temp was probably not the same sort of driving that track days is its a bit difficult to compare the two.

And it's an 8v F2 Ed got,16v needs to be rev'd more and Ben the joy of the 3.98 fd.... 3rd gear was ideal for me around combe but i never hit the temps you did.

Ben16v

Jan 8, 2007
Glastonbury
www.gmvw.co.uk
I think i'll have to look into that, maybe LSD at the same time!

Maybe time to search!!

MAy have to wait for that and do it with the bottom end at the end of the year, be good to meet up and have a nose around yours to be honest, seems like a nicely sorted car you've managed to set up there!

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
I think i'll have to look into that, maybe LSD at the same time!

Maybe time to search!!

MAy have to wait for that and do it with the bottom end at the end of the year, be good to meet up and have a nose around yours to be honest, seems like a nicely sorted car you've managed to set up there!

I'm going to Performance Action Day at Castle Combe in april I think it is.

Been thinking of doing the bottem end but then that will mean tb's for me and I don't think I wanna throw anymore money into it. Maybe getting a new car within a year :( lol

Boi Ninja

16 valves of sweet shhhhh
Dec 23, 2005
Enfield, Shanktown
this is a pm i got from flapper as i was after them (and still am probably)

"front facia trim panel : 6K1 863 263

inner frame (holds gauges etc) : 6K1 863 253 B41

rear surround : 6K1 863 243 B B41

again ill try and get pics if i can get to my car in daylight

that console is left hand drive and needs adapting to level it up - not perfect but if you didnt know you wouldnt notice

not got prices to hand but from memory was about £25 ish"

Ben16v

Jan 8, 2007
Glastonbury
www.gmvw.co.uk
I'm going to Performance Action Day at Castle Combe in april I think it is.

Been thinking of doing the bottem end but then that will mean tb's for me and I don't think I wanna throw anymore money into it. Maybe getting a new car within a year :( lol

I'll be there, will find you somewhere!!

Have to see how it goes! Sure something will come out of it, its a good car you've built up, 200 could be cracked and that would be really good fun.

Sure it must be a suitable replacement.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members