mk2 beeza rally build

nog986

Mar 14, 2008
N. Ireland
SP_A0086.jpg

Ok here goes, looks a bit like a rally car but it isnt.:shrug: so the the plan is to convert it.

SP_A0094.jpg
First job was to strip it and I mean strip it

SP_A0130.jpg

Stripping of the body seal :cry:has been a pain under the arches, along the seams and even trying to get the sound deadening off. Its a nightmare but should be worth it in the long run

engine came out dead easy:)

SP_A0131.jpg

SP_A0127.jpg

For those of you who beleive in underseal and waxoil note the rust I found behind it. I Thought it was a really sound motor but it looks like the damp can still get past the sealer:(
SP_A0129.jpg

nog986

Mar 14, 2008
N. Ireland
Beeza Build

Ok so some more pics to show the progress, though excuse the colour of the paint over the seam welding, its only temporary to keep the surface rust off!!!
I have modded the front turrets to accept roller top mounts and strengthened the area were the fuel lines come up through the chassis legs and seam welded the front front chassis legs, subframe mountings, front and rear turrets.
SP_A0141.jpg

SP_A0142.jpg

SP_A0143.jpg

SP_A0140.jpg

:happy:
Waiting on my cage to arrive now, its due next week I think. Custom cages multipoint weld in.

nog986

Mar 14, 2008
N. Ireland
beeza build

:redface: Yeah your right. Its a mk2 golf. A cunning plan being implemented in my garage. The golf is an ex-works car used in the british championship back in 1987, I bought it 97 in a poor state, restored it then developed it a bit further had some good success with it and now its going to be a donor for my beeza. Only some parts will be used though.
2nigel.jpg
courtesy of pacenotes

Last edited:

Chris Eyre

The Voice of Reason
Apr 2, 2003
researching
Visit site
:redface: Yeah your right. Its a mk2 golf. A cunning plan being implemented in my garage. The golf is an ex-works car used in the british championship back in 1987, I bought it 97 in a poor state, restored it then developed it a bit further had some good success with it and now its going to be a donor for my beeza. Only some parts will be used though.
I wonder if the car's worth keeping as complete as possible - being ex-works, someone might be interested in having it.

Steve Davies in Wales (on of the four who drove them in 1987) expressed an interest in his old car when I spoke to him sometime in 2006, so this car might fit the bill.

I can dig out his contact details?

Might be worth getting the thread moved to the motorsport section by one of the mods, btw.

nog986

Mar 14, 2008
N. Ireland
The golf has been developed that much that very little remains of the ex works stuff. The exhaust was re-done, the kevlar bag tank was out of date so I made an alloy replica, Front shocks where uprated, the rears where changed to 2way adjustables, the alloy cage has been replaced due to regulation changes, the i injection was binned and replaced by twin 45 dcoes to improve drivability. Brakes where changed, some perspex added. At the end of my build I would say there will be a shell with cage, glass, perspex, rear rose jointed axle, dash, clocks, wiring loom, and cross members left. Im for selling the bottom end of the engine, carbs and what spares I have gathered. Overall I think the beeza will have more potential with the engine department and should even cost less to run. 4mpg at full tilt in the golf was hard to pay for. Hoping to get bout 10mpg from the abf on injection.

nog986

Mar 14, 2008
N. Ireland
For sure chris it probably will be. I am hoping to keep as much as I can with it so I can get some cash to develop the beeza. Totally amazed by what all will swap straight over though. was nearly thinking of contacting the guy with that 6n we have been talking about to see what vw did in the rear end dept.

nog986

Mar 14, 2008
N. Ireland
Worries me too. LOL I have another beeza as a daily driver I hope its ok!!!! Yeah the car was on ebayaround christmas time and on pistonheads around october or november. Still on ebay from time to time with a guy selling lamp pods. I bought it in january and only really started work on it towards the end of march. More work coming in the next week or so as the cage arrived today. Just like a big jigsaw. Lot of neat welding required.

Chris Eyre

The Voice of Reason
Apr 2, 2003
researching
Visit site
was nearly thinking of contacting the guy with that 6n we have been talking about to see what vw did in the rear end dept.
I never did find out what they did with the S1600 6N rear suspension. Possibly time to start asking around t'up north?

I presume you've seen the pics of the Ibiza works rear axle posted elsewhere? Replicable in a simpler format I'd say, similar to a Mk3 Golf kitcar.

nog986

Mar 14, 2008
N. Ireland
Looks like i have my engine and carbs etc sold. Just waiting on a deposit from the buyer. Yeah I have considered doing the mk3 golf type setup, just dont know what grade of steel to do the arms in. Any ideas?????? Im not into metallurgy. The welding up would be no problem just knowing the grade is the difficulty. Also thought about going the harry hockley route and using his universal rear wishbones and going fully independant. Would also mean I could wide track if needed. Got the axle on the floor last weekend and stripped the tank out. Struggled all day sunday with the roll cage. Just cant get the windscreen bar in place yet. Nightmare!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Chris Eyre

The Voice of Reason
Apr 2, 2003
researching
Visit site
i'm guessing but i think this might be of a little help to ya then ? :) drawings wise at least ?

http://www.bildon.com/catalog/about/Katalogs.cfm

sorry no polo listed though

Golf 3 Kit Car
Golf 4 Grp N (TDi)
Golf 4 DTC (Similar to Speed World Challenge)
Golf 4 Kit Car Catalog
Neu Beetle Cup Catalog
It's no coincidence they're all on www.vwmotorsport.com/cataloge/index.asp either - and I think they landed there first, before I ran the content side.

The backlog of future downloads will be watermarked ;)

I have considered doing the mk3 golf type setup, just dont know what grade of steel to do the arms in. Any ideas?????? Im not into metallurgy. The welding up would be no problem just knowing the grade is the difficulty.
The Mk3 kitcar manual shows M12 rose joints. Steel-wise, I've got some CDS of around 25mm which I've started and will finish at some point.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.