Mk2 Ibiza 16V Hillclimb/Sprint car - 2014 Race Season begins!

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
Looking good now anodising done - 330x32 disk under 17x8 wheel, BIG caliper.....

946864_378541928930565_1092921454_n_zps1f84507c.jpg

970150_378541755597249_1424628426_n_zpsaa8776dc.jpg

Big thanks to Billo at Badger-5 for ace engineering skills - a well deserved reputation for doing quality work without the BS :thumbup:

Now to collect, fit, and test. Need a couple parts for the calipers while they are off the car so will be taking a trip to ABP in Cheshire to get spares.

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
Brakes now on car and will bleed them tomorrow, look massive on my ibiza - looked quite large on my A4 so on a much smaller car look immense.

As had previously run the Stoptech/APR branded pads on my A4, and was very happy with them with zero fade at the Ring and still working well from cold, decided to go with them again in their 'Street Performance' compound - claimed to have the heat capacity of the Ferodo DS2500 which on previous experience I can believe. But the best bit....£45 a set....would be over £100 for Ferodo and probably £150 for Performance Friction. Pad shape is same as late Porsche 928. Given the car is a lot lighter than the A4 and runs brake ducts, I reckon they might do the job.

http://www.modbargains.com/StopTech-Street-Performance-Brake-Pads-BMW-E46.htm

Also - thought I should probably measure the caliper piston sizes to see if the master cylinder would be up to the job - previous HiSpec calipers had 4x 38mm pistons, these have 2x 40mm, and 2x 36mm - so total piston area is almost the same - excellent! and a suprise given the massive increase in pad area. Nice to have the different piston sizes to equalise pad pressure and minimise wedge-shaped wear.

Interesting picture side by side with a Brembo - VERY similar, but the Stoptech has the better bolt-in bridge design

stoptech-stiffner%20bridge.jpg

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
Finally got the car running again and back on its wheels. As we are approaching GTI Inters, took the opportunity to set the geometry for dragging - zero camber, zero toe. Sticky tyres. Did a 13.8 quarter and 5.2 0-60 last year with loads of -ve camber, what turned out to be a busted rear shock, and some toe out. So are after a sub 5-sec 0-60 and a 12-something this year....cummon!

'Ave it!

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Sounds like fun. I remember meeting with the guy that built the Stealth B6 - which at the time was insanely fast in magazine tests....

One set up for the strip, another for track time, another for road testing

Worked though!

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
Need -ve camber for bends and a touch of toe out to make it turn, but as I found out last year, its not a good idea for drags, wheelspin galore

Will be on Dialynx stand again with monster daft glorious Quats

Last edited:

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
New front floor/splitter [B)]. Now with a larger surface area, extends further backwards, and also very easy to remove just with 2 bolts as found that needed to remove the floor for service and inspection. Old one was quite a cool design being flexible/moveable, but it was a pain to fit/remove. This one is dead easy. Also, makes it possible to remove for trailer loading, meaning also it can be lower than previous - 80mm off the floor now rather than 120mm previous. 80mm taken as being about the minimum desirable with these sorts of cars and spring rates (cheers Nige for intel!:thumbup:). Matches the side skirt depth of 70mm quite nicely but needs to be a touch higher as the front dives on the brakes.

Also - the flexible rubber I had as a rear wall to the old splitter used to leak pressure in places decreasing the effectiveness of the splitter. This time will be a vertical thin ali wall so much better for building positive pressure zone above the splitter.

Whole thing hung off 3mm ali plates fastened to the front chassis legs. It aint going nowhere.....and has every chance of transmitting any downforce into the chassis. If there is any :blink:

splitter_zpse7d19dda.jpg

Last edited:

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
Even better, attach with no bolts at all, clevis pin/ r-clip combo

13078.jpg

Would be even better still with an aero pip pin, but not at £18 apiece!

AERO_Measure_Ball-Lock-Pins_011346782461504644fd9535a.jpg

Last edited:

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
Fitted to car - looks 'right'.

Need a 160mm tall strip of thin ali now to make the upright wall, and make two detachable sections to give access to the support pins.

Not much flex at all in it :D :funk:

splitter2_zpsbeb671b9.jpg

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
The old one was too flimsey, but the main issue was it was a pita to take on and off. This version is better all round, whilst trying to minimise weight addition with it being stiff enough. Exotic materials can always be employed if it all works (kevlar / honeycomb).

I am anticipating a big improvement in aero effect.....

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
Hi - have been having some problems for quite some time starting my car - i think due to high compression - have tried new batteries, making sure fully charged etc etc etc, but have always been on the edge of the car starting or not, even with a slave battery. So got talking to a guy at Autosport earlier this year about geared starters - they have a reduction gear arrangement and spin the engine over much faster than a normal starter. So eventually got one made through CCW Tools - a WOSP item which is made from Denso parts. Went for a 2Kw reduction gear model which is almost double the power of the standard 1.1Kw Bosch item. Weighs approx 0.5kg more. Had to send them my old one to work from as there are many slight variations on a theme with VAG starters. They made me one in which the motor can be rotated around the head to get the most optimal fitting in the car. Wiring needed new terminals fitting but otherwise it went straight in.

http://www.ccw-tools.com/Reduction-Gear-Starter-Motors/c-1-599/

http://www.wosperformance.co.uk/products/starter-motors/

Have to say it is sensational! Turn the key and the engine fires round in a fashion similar to when a F1 engine starts, accompanied by a great gear whine! And then fires. Night and day better than the old Bosch item.

Bosch model replaced was 001 107 022, vag no 02A 911 023T. Believe this is actually a Passat item, but I had it fitted to my ibiza valver with 02A box.

starter1_zps48af5809.jpg

starter2_zpsed48c3a9.jpg

Fantastic mod!

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
Hiya - well Splitter Mk2 is nearly finished, only a couple small covers to make now. Well pleased. The whole thing comes off with just 2 cotter pins and R-clips, making inspection of front end and servicing a doddle. It looks daft low - 85mm so actually quite high compared with the allowed min of 40mm. Mate Nige reckons this is low enough for a car like this and might just about catch....so we will see.

splitter2_zps1d9f8715.jpg

splitter3_zpsc649b2b5.jpg

Needs a lick of paint and maybe some graphics......

IMG_8010.jpg

sigpic26710_3.gif

attachment.php

Also have fitted a small lightweight 5" Spal fan to the oil cooler and wired it into the headlight switch so I can drop the oil temps whilst queing in the paddock if required.

fan_zps22dc4bef.jpg

Cheers

Rob

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise