MK2 Leon Cupra - Clicking when torque applied and let off & apparent engine movement

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Guys,

I figure this is worth its own thread as the symptoms are somewhat different from that in this thread and in this thread here.

My noise is like a metallic clicking noise rather than a "clunk". The gear box mount bolt tensions are fine and ther CV boots are all still in good condition.

The "click" is coming from the front passenger side and it happens when any kind of torque is applied to the car - any change in speed gives the "click" and it happens in any gear including reverse, also sometimes when letting off.

Not sure if this is relevant or not, but when I compared my car with a MK5 Golf GTi, there was a fair bit more movement in my engine when you "shake" it by hand when switched off vs the Golf.

Ideas and suggestions welcome so I can get a heads up on it as I can't be arsed dealing with a Stealer on this as they will no doubt tell me its something like the aftermarket exhaust when it clearly is not.

Ta

Horace

tom-cupra

..that is normal, i dont now whay, but a lot of cupra owners have the same thing..i wouldn t worry about it...

Al

Aug 29, 2005
It's not something in the cabin is it? These things are often something in the glove compartment / storage bin rolling around - moves one way under acceleration and back again under braking...

Defo not that mate. Its something mechanical.

..that is normal, i dont now whay, but a lot of cupra owners have the same thing..i wouldn t worry about it...

Not sure about that but I will be getting it properly checked for sure.

warren_cox

Back from the dead
INteresting you should say this as I raised it with the dealer that I thought one of my mounts had gone as under starting I get quite a kick and noise from the engine, and under heavy acceleration 3rd sometimes is impossible to get when you're on the fly. Car is going into the stealers for another issue very shortly so I'll get them to check it again.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
does it do it while stationary mate when you rev it, or just under load?

Only when accelarating and let off.

The best I can describe the noise is a single metallic click although it is sometimes like a double click now, and on each change of power - ie it will not make the noise if it stays at a constant speed.

INteresting you should say this as I raised it with the dealer that I thought one of my mounts had gone as under starting I get quite a kick and noise from the engine, and under heavy acceleration 3rd sometimes is impossible to get when you're on the fly. Car is going into the stealers for another issue very shortly so I'll get them to check it again.

What kind of noise from the engine mate?

Al

Aug 29, 2005
I wonder though if the mounts are starting to fail if the engine is moving enough to bang in to something or something somewhere is flexing enough to get the noise? How much does your engine move by when you shake it out of interest?

warren_cox

Back from the dead
I wonder though if the mounts are starting to fail if the engine is moving enough to bang in to something or something somewhere is flexing enough to get the noise? How much does your engine move by when you shake it out of interest?

It does kick a bit, but the dealer assures me its normal. I'm off tomorrow so I'll have another look and try and film it and bung a link to it on here.

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland

it would do it while stationary and revving it then though.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
It does kick a bit, but the dealer assures me its normal. I'm off tomorrow so I'll have another look and try and film it and bung a link to it on here.

Cool. That would be handy. Will see if I can get mine to make the noise in film too.....

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland

take a look HERE at marks last time out at awesome. you can see how much it moves during lift off. marke's is the same, and mine is too although you cant see it on the vid.
its surprising how much movement there is.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Hmmm. Mark hasnt said he has any problems with noises either as I have spoken to him about this previously.

My engine moves almost that far with a push with my hands. I wonder how much it would move on the rollers....

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
i havent had any noises either, just trying to point out that the engine 'normally' moves what i would say was a considerable amount so dont let that take you down the wrong route.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
I know another couple of folk local with Cupras. Will compare mine to theirs when I see them next just to make sure. :)

I just thought it was weird that mine moved so much more than the engine in the older, higher mileage MK5 Golf GTi :confused:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise