Mk3 radio problems, two things already tried

markster

Hi there!

I've been having radio problems with my Ibiza 1.4 cool. It's just a regular casette/radio which I've been getting poor/average FM reception and non existant AM\LW reception. In fact, the AM/LW reception just sounds like the car engine when I'm driving!

I've replaced the bee sting aeriel which did nothing and then I got advised to add a signal booster which I did myself. I could hear the cracking and slight improvement as I connected the power from the booster so I know I've installed it correctly. Unfortunately this is only a slight improvement in FM, but I still have no AM whatsoever and not keeping up with the sports is killing me! :D

has anyone any ideas what the problem could be and how to improve it? Is it the unit itself which needs changing?

regards

markster

I feel your pain, exact same problem

yep, I think it's a fairly common problem in the Mk3. The only advice I can find is what I've already done.

Plus I'm going to be driving about £15k miles over the next year and I can't handle no sports news :cry:

So are there any experts out there who can help please!?!?

Oct 31, 2006
Cambs
Mine was shocking so i tried a booster and not a sausage changed, so i changed the aerial base for a new one and hay presto radio is top notch now can't fault it!!!

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Thos things are not boosters you know that yeah? Theyre for powered aerials when using aftermarket head units. You have a problem elsewhere like a dodgy roof aerial connection or bad earth.

Richy88

where you guys get the base from and how much??

my local vw want £60+

Adamricko

MK3 1.4.cool/s
Jun 23, 2009
Manchester
In a 1.4.cool /s and my signal is pretty much perfect. Allthough I do have a problem with "telephone" cutting in on it. need to check the "Telephone mute wire" :confused:

leescupra

I'm in a cool s too an mines fine although I hav a cd changer aswell, but fm is good haven't tried the lw yet ....does anyone else hav subs running off the standard headunit?? it's pretty good and people are well surprised at how the 'standard' stereo sounds lol
I do have a problem though the volume button wen I try turn it up too quick it just goes back to zero any ideas???

Oj 89

Senior junior member
Aug 19, 2008
NW Kent
I'm in a cool s too an mines fine although I hav a cd changer aswell, but fm is good haven't tried the lw yet ....does anyone else hav subs running off the standard headunit?? it's pretty good and people are well surprised at how the 'standard' stereo sounds lol
I do have a problem though the volume button wen I try turn it up too quick it just goes back to zero any ideas???

check for loose solder joints on the MFD PCB, most likely its that or a dodgy pulser. Maplins will most likely do a replacement...I don't know as before I got all those problems, I just put a 7" DVD player in :D

DanielFaith

Jun 22, 2010
Ballymena, Northern Ireland
check for loose solder joints on the MFD PCB, most likely its that or a dodgy pulser. Maplins will most likely do a replacement...I don't know as before I got all those problems, I just put a 7" DVD player in :D

did u put the dvd into were the tape should be??

yeno the wee ribbind tape?? were can i get more of the and the wee connectors??

Oj 89

Senior junior member
Aug 19, 2008
NW Kent
did u put the dvd into were the tape should be??

yeno the wee ribbind tape?? were can i get more of the and the wee connectors??

Haha, yeah, take the cage apart, take the main PCB out, put the 1 DIN (<=Important) radio in, cut a hole in the fascia the right size for the radio face, and voile...oh, and double up the wiring loom so both radio and PCB have power. aaand don't put the PCB directly on to the radio...it's not pretty when they blow. I'll see if I can find the guide.

What, like this?

http://www.rapidonline.com/1/1/18-ribbon-cable-grey.html

tbh, you'd be better off hardwiring them to the PCB. much tougher ;)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise