Mk4 Bulb upgrades

dasmith83

Formerly "Dave FR PD130"
Jul 1, 2006
Kent
I have searched through a few topics on this and think i've found the answer, but before i commit to buy these i just wanted to check.

Am i right in thinking that the mk4 takes H7 bulbs? Is that the same for both the dipped beam and full beam or is the full beam different? I read somewhere its different, but can't find the post now :rolleyes:

Also, as i'm after a nice blue tinted light, will the bulbs in the link below be ok? I know they're not stated for the ibiza, but if they're H7 they should still work, right?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=160056445192&rd=1&rd=1

Thanks

J500ANT

Oct 20, 2006
Bristol
As ive said on another thread, Auto Express are doing a bulb test this coming Weds, maybe worth waiting for?

dasmith83

Formerly "Dave FR PD130"
Jul 1, 2006
Kent
ah...that'd be interesting reading. From past experience the Osram and Philips vision bulbs were pants in comparison to a set i got off ebay which were rated at 6500k. I went through about 5 sets of different types of bulbs and the best by far were the cheapo ebay ones.

gazjones

double reflector lights
dipped beam h7
main beam h3
hope that helps

gazjones

thats what the site is for passing on info i posted it a few months back then went to look in my handbook today and couldnt find it so search through posts and found it

boss1986

Oct 27, 2006
Leeds
replaced my H7's with some Halfords super brilliance ice white ones.
£20 a bulb but buy 1 get 1 free.

might have to replace my H3's as well if the offer is still on.

also picked up some cheap ones from Lidl I think, got one of there special offer things in the post £4 for 2 bulbs or something, had blue and 50% brighter white.
got a box of each since only a few pounds, put the white ones in the A3, there good but no where near as good as mine but still you cant go wrong for a few pound.

think in this case its you get what you pay for.

my lights are out of alignment though, car went in for some front end repairs after a drunk ran out into the road.
one light smashed but Skoda replaced both cause before it happen both were filling up with condensation and as you all know there not supposed to.
noticed a month ago that one light is higher than the other, they must not have set them up.
cant be bothered taking it back to get setup though.

Last edited:
double reflector lights
dipped beam h7
main beam h3
hope that helps

sorry Gaz, main beam are H1

i got 8500k blues in dipped beam, and osrams in main beam

and 6500k plasma rainbow bulbs in both dipped and main in the peugeot.

Nicest bulbs i've used for distance/colour are Halfords extreme blue. they're about £15 each, but they had a bogof deal when i bought mine.
The plasma bulbs came from Charisma, and the 8500k blues from ebay (USA) cost me bout £13 inc p+p :)

Stu

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
sorry Gaz, main beam are H1

i got 8500k blues in dipped beam, and osrams in main beam

and 6500k plasma rainbow bulbs in both dipped and main in the peugeot.

Nicest bulbs i've used for distance/colour are Halfords extreme blue. they're about £15 each, but they had a bogof deal when i bought mine.
The plasma bulbs came from Charisma, and the 8500k blues from ebay (USA) cost me bout £13 inc p+p :)

Stu

Dunno about yours, but mine are H7/H3 like Gaz's! Also H3 for the Foggies. Maybe they changed them in the facelift but i would doubt it!

R1ch85

1/4mile - 13.935 @ 100.54
Nov 9, 2006
Bristol
i got Philips Bluevision bulbs for all my front lights, definitely make a difference, tho compared to 6500K's or others i cant really say. I'd recommend them tho, got mine from powerbulbs.

here you are dave, not a very good pic so i'll get some more up soon for you
14112006120.jpg

Guess i stand corrected on the H1/H3?? must have been thinking bout a different car :shrug:

Last edited:

frboyz

Sep 26, 2004
I have Osram Silverstar for dipped lights = big improvement
Main beam I have PIAA 110w output 55w draw = massive improvement - safe for wiring but a little illegal in the UK - got mine on ebay..............had to remove bumper to fit them mind!

J500ANT

Oct 20, 2006
Bristol
Auto Express says:

for standard bulbs its Hella or Osram
for Plus 30 its Halfords Brilliance or Osram Super
for Plus 50 its Halfords Super Brilliance or Philips GT150
for Blue its Osram Super Blue or Philips Blue Vision.

It does say Philips X-treme Power are THE best but they couldnt test them against anything else cos there are no competitors. So Philips X-treme Power is it!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.