MkII Gti 16v MOT problems

Txspete

I recently took my car for an mot and it failed. I was told I need to get two new top mounts for the front suspension and the headlights appear to have dropped part of its aiming mechanism into the sealed unit itself.

As I am new to the group and was hoping someone may be able to point me in the right direction for parts and also give me a few pointers. I have a few questions below and if someone could shed some light on them it would be much appreciated.

Where is the best place to source two top mounts and how much are they roughly?

Does the whole suspension arm need dropping to get the top mount on?

As it looks like I will need two new headlights does it matter if they are not from a gti model?

Cheers

Daniel

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Top mounts either from the dealer, but you might as well go to Eurocarparts or GSF

I think each side is about a tenner, and you can change it without removing the strut IIRC - only change the rubber bush

However, most Ibiza's *could* fail the MOT on the movement with new parts, it's all in the eye of the MOT tester sadly.

headlamps from a non GTI will look different, they don't have the twin lamps

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
My 16v had the metal bit fall out on both headlights.

Didnt fail though, just got a picky tester i think.

(wasnt even an advisor)

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
My old Mk2 'failed' two years running on front top mounts even though it was same tester, same garage.. on the 2nd occasion, my mate (mechanic who used to work at said garage), took the car to his for an hour then took it back and the guy passed it !! so really just goes to show..

Txspete

He was supposed to be a friend of my stepdad's but he really didnt do me any favours.

Dan 'Orangemuffin' I know your car had that issus as it is your car im testing! Mot is still good until the end of the month but i just thought i would put it through early just in case anything did pop up.

Sounds like I had a whole lot of nothing brought up really. So could it still fail with new top mounts in? What did you mean by only change the rubber bush Mork, will i receive more than that from the dealer?

With regards to the headlights im guessing going to seat for them would not be the best idea would it?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
You might get the top bearing too in the kit... Bit it'll be the bush with the movement in

But it will still have movement.

SEAT will charge a lot.. but why not open up the lamps & remove the debris

Txspete

Cheers mOrk,

I didnt think the lights came apart but I will givie it a go to see if i can rescue it.

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
He was supposed to be a friend of my stepdad's but he really didnt do me any favours.

Dan 'Orangemuffin' I know your car had that issus as it is your car im testing! Mot is still good until the end of the month but i just thought i would put it through early just in case anything did pop up.

Sounds like I had a whole lot of nothing brought up really. So could it still fail with new top mounts in? What did you mean by only change the rubber bush Mork, will i receive more than that from the dealer?

With regards to the headlights im guessing going to seat for them would not be the best idea would it?

Good stuff, glad you regged up....Does seem odd that they would fail it on the headlights. Have been told the way to do it is wrap them in a damp towel and put them on a low heat in the over till they seperate.

Aug 22, 2008
cannock

ohhh its here the baby is back ( ;

Txspete

Yeah she's all good mate, we're having fun!

Cooking my headlights is a new one on me but I will give it a go. I imagine it shouldn't take too long for them to come apart. How about sticking them back together once I get what I need from them?

Aug 22, 2008
cannock
funny me and my chap were having the conversation about this today some prat drilled a hole in the ones i have i think it may of been for that reason lol

so r u enjoying your new toy ?

Txspete

Loving it to be honest mate. She was quite a find, a testament to her former owner. Yours looks mighty clean as well.

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
Good to see that your car is still on the Forum Dan. Would of been a shame if it had disappeared completely.

if i hadnt of spent so much doing mine up i would of brought that car ) :

Im the same, I would have taken his hand of for his car but I cant afford to run a valver just now and well work is still quiet and dont want to take any risks I dont need to at this time.

Maybe one day. [B)]

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.