Motorsport Ibiza with plastic rear windows?

Hi all!

has anyone got an close up pics of any Ibiza's fitted with plastic (i.e. Lexan etc) rear side windows?? Might be a tricky one as most race / rally championships require you to keep the original glass ones. i'm trying to work out how best to fit mine. It's more difficult that it looks because the original rubber seal, which is bonded to both glass and the window appiture spaces the glass out by about half and inch, and crucially allows the tailgate to sit flush with it. just screwing the new plastic window into the rebate means that the boot now sits proud along the back of the window, which 1) looks ridiculus, 2) probably is V. draggy and terrible for aero perf!

suggestions welcomed!:confused:

ta,

paul.

Revo Kev

www.onlyrevo.com
Feb 24, 2003
www.onlyrevo.com
I cut off the standard fittings from the glass windows and put a couple of wholes in them and bolted then to the windows... did the same with the rear fixing, but I've never dared open it as my guess is it'd take all of any buffetting over 50mph to crack it. I'd use the two existing front mounts and bond them to the windows then fabricate a bracket for the rear mount. Bear in mind I've retained the window rubber though!

andy_dea

Aug 9, 2003
north east
Visit site
ive been looking into this at the mo,

is it not possible to use a low spec ibiza window rubber and bond them in, as the 1.2 ect did not have the push out mechanisms and where fixed

Cheers guys,

The windows need to be fixed shut, i invesigated using the std closure rubber from the cars without opening rear windows, but it's bonded on and just about impossible to remove without mullerin it!. Best plan so far is to fit the window with a number of stainless counter sunk bolts, fitting nylon spacers/washers between window and the steel rebate of the body shell. The fill the gap with black sealant. I might paint the inside of the window black to about an inch from the outside edge of the plastic so as to effectively hide the sealant etc.

well thats plan A anyway, plan B to follow if required! lol:p

andy_dea

Aug 9, 2003
north east
Visit site
max: surely its possible to buy the window rubbers from low spec cars new, bond them in then in turn bond the new poly window into the seal like the low spec cars do with the standard 3/4 windows???

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
id say

A: paint an edge around the inside and have them bonded in as usual

B: use opening window style catches front and rear

C: if theres a panel lip use a std window rubber and make the glass smaller - would be sunk in though but various types available to make it less obvious

http://www.scottsoldautorubber.com.au/catalogue.htm look through the glass seals - bet theres a double one that will do it

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.