My car is at JBS for a GT3071R fitting.

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
EddyH said:
I'll get round to do a proper post at some point but for now; The boost has been upped to 1.3bar last Saturday and it's now much quicker. The haldex 4wd is doing a very good job of putting the power down although I've not done a full on standing start launch yet as I'm working up progressively to see how the drivetrain handles it.

Two line review is that it ;) .........is that really meant to keep us going :D

EddyH

Aug 9, 2002
Pontefract
Visit site
Ruddmeister said:
Two line review is that it ;) .........is that really meant to keep us going :D

Ok, I've got a few minutes to spare so here's a bit more:

Gearbox - The longer ratios and extra gear are a big improvement, combined with the extra capacity off boost cruising is very good. I had a Diesel Geek short shift fitted and at the moment I don't like it at all, very notchy and takes ALOT of effort to engage. I'm going to try and adjust it again now it's had chance to bed in but if it doesn't improve it's coming off.

Spec Single Mass Ali flywheel - revs up very quickly but is quite noisy at idle and if revved without load. The noise at idle has been partially overcome by adjusting the idle speed and the noise certainly isn't enough to make me regret fitting it.

Spec Stage 3+ clutch - Nice and light which is good but is a little strange in use and takes a little more control than normal when setting off gently. It seems to have no problem handing the power, however I've yet to try a full on standing start launch.

Noise - The 3" DP and decat have made the car louder and there's definetely more drone on the motorway. I think this small sacrifice is worth the increase in performance though.

How it drives (0.7bar running in map) - Quite rough at low revs but very smooth above 3krpm, nice kick just below 4krpm when the turbo kicks in and keeps pulling to the limiter at around 7.5krpm. Even at this level of boost performance was significantly better than when running the K03s (240bhp/280ftlb). Only on road comparison when running this map was an RS6 which I stuck to but didn't have enough to overtake, the driver wanted a chat afterwards and claimed to be running 580bhp (which I doubt) and commented that he didn't have his NOS switched on and I wouldn't have kept up if he did.

How it drives (1.3bar initial performance map) - Now much smoother at low revs very easy to pootle round town etc.. Turbo now spools a little later at around 4.5krpm but comes in with a much bigger kick and acceleration becomes what I can only describe as brutal, runs out of revs very quickly thus I'm hoping for a raised limiter on the next map. On the road I reeled in a 997 C4S very quickly and another occasion exiting a roundabout onto a dual carraigeway with a Fireblade on my bum I put my boot down and he couldn't get past with him only gaining slightly when I was changing gear (which takes too long with the current diesel geek).

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Just a note on the diesel geek - I'm happy with mine, it does increase the notchiness a bit, as you'd expect, but it certainly doesn't take ALOT of effort to engage gears. In fact when you're "on it" it seems to slip in quite nicely...

Sometimes when you're not "on it" and don't press the clutch right down it can be a struggle to get it in gear, so maybe it's to do with your clutch set up, but adjusting it is the right thing to try first...

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
EddyH said:
The work has been done to an excellent standard and under the bonnet looks very OEM apart from the blue boost hoses as the engine cover still fits and I've gone with an OEM airbox. I'll try to post some pics soon.

I was lucky enough to get my fat head under the bonnet of this beast last Sunday and i got to admit i was very impressed with how neat and tidy the engine bay looked.

EddyH

Aug 9, 2002
Pontefract
Visit site
Feel said:
Just a note on the diesel geek - I'm happy with mine, it does increase the notchiness a bit, as you'd expect, but it certainly doesn't take ALOT of effort to engage gears. In fact when you're "on it" it seems to slip in quite nicely...

Sometimes when you're not "on it" and don't press the clutch right down it can be a struggle to get it in gear, so maybe it's to do with your clutch set up, but adjusting it is the right thing to try first...

Yes, the notchiness isn't a problem and was expected, I bought the Dieselgeek because I tried one in GaryM's car and liked it, however his was an ultra and I'm not sure just how that differs from the Sigma which I have.

All the gears engage and I haven't missed any changes but they are slow and take condsiderable effort.

Hopefully it's just an adjustment problem.

EddyH

Aug 9, 2002
Pontefract
Visit site
Just a little update on the side issue of the Diesel Geek; I've had a look at the short shift mechanism and exchanged a few emails with Jim from Diesel Geek (who is very quick to reply). It seems that my problems are almost certainly being caused by manufacturing tolerances, I've been advised on solutions to these issues which I hope to sort tomorrow evening.

EddyH

Aug 9, 2002
Pontefract
Visit site
Still running the 1.2/1.3bar map and generally very happy. However after further adjustments to the Diesel Geek which did improve matters I still can't get on with it so it's coming off.

Yumann

May 17, 2002
Glasgow
I was speaking to Mike about your car a few days ago. Hows the lag with the 1.9? What kinda power you reckon once you get the finnal map?

The spec does sound impressive.

caney

Apr 24, 2005
come on eddy you made the big annoucement about your upgrades etc,posted a few comments and it's all gone quiet again! are you bored already;) we'll have to have a little head to head sometime on the old 1/4 mile :) mrc tt vs jbs octy-who will win:think:

GaryM

Golf GTI 1.8T 180
Feb 11, 2004
Nr Manchester
caney said:
we'll have to have a little head to head sometime on the old 1/4 mile :) mrc tt vs jbs octy-who will win:think:

I'd love to see that one though you being an acomplished 1/4 mile racer and having no fear when it comes to launching a car may just have it edging in your favour.
Eddy should be running more power so it would depend on how he gets it off the line.
What would the weight differences be between the cars?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise