Need some advice/ help on Dump Valves please!

lfc4life786

Oct 2, 2009
Hiya guys, there might already be a big thread on this somwhere but i cant seem to find it so apologies in advance if im repeating something that might have already been mentioned a 1000 times.

Im in a bit of a dilemma guys, ive got an 03 plate Leon Cupra with a standard recirculating dump valve. I wanted to chuck in a nice LOUD HKS dump valve to really get the heads turning when i boost only to be told by a close mate of mine whos also a Golf Mk4 enthusiast that our cupras from my mark onwards cant run them kinda dump valves. Now it came as a bit of a shock to me as that was one of the first mods i was looking to do & the reason behind it according to my mate is because in the newer cars thers a sh*t load of sensors everywhere and if they pick up thats thers anything other than a recirculating dump valve fitted then it registers it as a boost leak, possibly even putting the car into limp mode which in turn drastically ruins the performance. Guys is this true? Can anyone please shed some light into how true these claims are? Now my mate is Golf mk4 genius so i take his word for it considering the Golfs Leons, S3s etc are near enough exactly the same under the bonnet but i need some clarification on the matter?

Can i change the dump valve, isit possible? Or will i just be creating a problem by doing so? Has anyone tried it with success and no problems (fingers crossed) or isit just a big no no like my mate is saying?

Thanks a lot in advance guys for your help, it comes much appreciated!

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
forge 007p with open cone, gives a nice whooosh, will never be a cossie though.

add a uprated tip and remap, will sound well then

atmospheric valves cause issues for some 20vts

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
you have a wise friend.
Open cone with a remap and a forge 007p is about the best.

And mate, you drive a leon so no need to get heads turning by making it sound like a bus;). youre already cool but if you need more change your turbo , get 300bhp running through it and you wont hear the dv above the exhaust anyway:D

Luke_buk

Sep 5, 2009
South Yorkshire
ive fitted a forge splitter valve on my leon cupra.

this does both its re-circ valve and a atmospheric dump valve too.

it works great. just make sure you install it correctly. it has be fitted the other way round to yur normal re-circ valve. (see forge website)

lfc4life786

Oct 2, 2009
Lol thank u so much guys, i luv these forums n the people on them. You lot are wicked, so just to confirm a forge 007p with an open cone induction kit will give me that whoosh im after without it being registered as a boost leak an fu*n up engine management?

Lol traumapat u have an excellent point there, its so true, the car is a headturner and its bog standard. Its just that the mate im talking about has a 98 golf Mk4 with the older engine management systems so hes done everything possible tuning wise and even fitted the bigger KO3s turbo off the newer golfs. Hes put a lovely HKS DV in his and u can hear him a mile off. Forget a MK4 Golf, it sounds like a flippin GTr-34 Skyline is making its way down to you. Really is a sound to die for.

Can anyone recommend the best place to get this forge DV?

Cheers guys

lfc4life786

Oct 2, 2009
ive fitted a forge splitter valve on my leon cupra.

this does both its re-circ valve and a atmospheric dump valve too.

it works great. just make sure you install it correctly. it has be fitted the other way round to yur normal re-circ valve. (see forge website)

Yeh johnnyjonjon mentioned that. What kinda sound u get outta that buddy? Also was it a pain in the arse to fit? U had any problems with the engine management or has it been perfectly fine. Ther going for around 120 quid, is that the kinda price u got urs for?

lfc4life786

Oct 2, 2009
Your mate knows his stuff, your car has an adaptive ECU and will indeed treat an atmospheric dump valve as a boost leak. This is a good compromise but can be a PITA to set up, check this link; Click here.

Cheers buddy this really helped, will this DV do both jobs aswell as give me a half decent 'whoosh'?

Luke_buk

Sep 5, 2009
South Yorkshire
Yeh johnnyjonjon mentioned that. What kinda sound u get outta that buddy? Also was it a pain in the arse to fit? U had any problems with the engine management or has it been perfectly fine. Ther going for around 120 quid, is that the kinda price u got urs for?

i got mine for around £100 off ebay.

it makes a nice sound. even sometimes without trying just going through the gears.
its not hard to fit and i have had no engine managment issues at all. just make sure sure you fit it the other way round to the original.

ive set mine up by turning it clockwise fully tighten the spring. then 8-10 clicks loose (anti-clockwise) seems to hold boost lovely and still get nice sound.

Last edited:

lfc4life786

Oct 2, 2009
Cheers Luke and Jonny, ur advice has helped no ends. I aint wasting no time on this, ive jus bn on the phone to my pal relaying what u'z have just told me. He said hes got a forge 007 sitting at home gathering dust. He used to run that before he bought his HKS dv. Im gona fit that onto mine in the next couple of days and see how it runs. According to him the forgre splitter dv doesnt come recommended as on some of the 20v t's it still registers as a boost leak and he advised me not to take the risk for a 125 quid. Its a fine line me thinks. If you've has no problems than fair play to ya but im gona start off with the 007p and take it from there. Again many thanks for all your help guys. Il keep you informed, cheerssss!

Luke_buk

Sep 5, 2009
South Yorkshire
Cheers Luke and Jonny, ur advice has helped no ends. I aint wasting no time on this, ive jus bn on the phone to my pal relaying what u'z have just told me. He said hes got a forge 007 sitting at home gathering dust. He used to run that before he bought his HKS dv. Im gona fit that onto mine in the next couple of days and see how it runs. According to him the forgre splitter dv doesnt come recommended as on some of the 20v t's it still registers as a boost leak and he advised me not to take the risk for a 125 quid. Its a fine line me thinks. If you've has no problems than fair play to ya but im gona start off with the 007p and take it from there. Again many thanks for all your help guys. Il keep you informed, cheerssss!

no worries mate. let us know how you get on.

J0N

Defected!

No probs. :)

Lodgey180

WoOoOoOsShH
May 3, 2008
Middlesbrough
www.mootr.co.uk
you do know this splittr valve aint gonna make it sound like your mates ?

i tried some different valves on mine .. the loudest i got was a dv26 off a astra gsi

worked for a few days then through the fault up and went into limp mode (7psi :( )

now i got a itg filter and a bailey dv30 and its just as loud but without the chavvy whistle

lfc4life786

Oct 2, 2009
you do know this splittr valve aint gonna make it sound like your mates ?

i tried some different valves on mine .. the loudest i got was a dv26 off a astra gsi

worked for a few days then through the fault up and went into limp mode (7psi :( )

now i got a itg filter and a bailey dv30 and its just as loud but without the chavvy whistle
ye obviously not but i just want it louder then what it is.