New Air filter = Petrol Smell inside car?

mickeykdan

Dec 19, 2007
UK
Afternoon all,

This afternoon i have removed air box and fitted an air filter cone in replacement along with a breather valve.

I am now getting a strong smell of petrol inside the car - I also had the problem when i fitted the cone filter directly on air box after removing interior filter.

Anybody else experienced this and what can I do to overcome this.

Thanks

mickeykdan

Dec 19, 2007
UK
Update..

Ive just run a cold air feed from grill close to the cone now and the smell seems to have lessened.

With regards to the first reply - Id like to go through what it could be causing it theoretically before completly removing.

robreidmotors

RobReid
May 10, 2008
Lancashire
Is the filter clean? If not then it could be restricting air into the engine, causing overfuelling and your petrol smell.

My crankcase hose is split at the moment, got one ordered, but i get a petrol smell from that, perhaps check all other warm air hoses, air hoses etc for cracks/splits.

Are there any hoses similar to above that would normally feed to the standard airbox that have been moved/blocked elsewhere?

mickeykdan

Dec 19, 2007
UK
from what i can see / feel, the filter is completly clean. no grit, residue or general mess on the filter at all..

the only hose that has been touched is the breather, which now has a a valve clamped ontop

robreidmotors

RobReid
May 10, 2008
Lancashire
Just read that you have to get the cold air feed right, makes sense as warm air is less dense, so with warm air you will get overfuelling.

It may take a bit of time for the ECU to get used to the extra air going in, or maybe disconnect the battery to reset the ECU, run the car for a day or so and see how it goes.

In fact maybe run the car and then check the spark plugs, they will tell you if it is overfuelling.

I would say it is either going to be the issue of warm air getting in, so maybe modifying the cold air feed, i dont know how by the way. Or double check all the original pipes that would feed into the original airbox and make sure they are plumbed correctly into your new kit.

mickeykdan

Dec 19, 2007
UK
Thanks for the input. The final reply makes sense. After fitting the cold air feed as i previously said, the smell seems to have almost gone. However, i will go over and check as you said.. Only one pipe in to the original air box and that now has the breather. I shall ee how it goes :)

I was thinking there must be somebody else who has experienced the same problem by putting a performance air filter on a 1.4 8V

mickeykdan

Dec 19, 2007
UK
i had an air filter on my 1.4... very distinct smell of petrol inside the car, id say it was a 'feature'

I was hoping to hear that..

P.S (Off-topic) how does your car handle with the 1.8t?

mickeykdan

Dec 19, 2007
UK
That pug forum thread is a good laugh, thanks :)

The person I got the filter from actually insisted iconnect to the original air box as this guys done haha..

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
mine was a pipercross foam type filter that sat on top of the carb, and i could always smell fuel, from the moment i put it on to selling it, never broke, never set on fire sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.......

with regards to how does my car handle now...
ive had crap tyres on since i put the engine in, so understeering is very frequent, but speed wise :D its awesome, tho its getting the k04 treatment soo :)

mickeykdan

Dec 19, 2007
UK
mine was a pipercross foam type filter that sat on top of the carb, and i could always smell fuel, from the moment i put it on to selling it, never broke, never set on fire sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.......

As is the case with mine. Straight off Carb.

Ive always wandered about the 1.8t engine in the Ibiza. Ive had this discussion before and alot of people seem to think the car will not handle at all but i expect you have done the full works..

robreidmotors

RobReid
May 10, 2008
Lancashire
The ibiza seemed to handle okay in its rally championships? Must have a heck of a load of power in that.

Its all about suspension and tyres with power, for example i had a cupra 8v, and now have the equivalent normal gti 8v, i can notice the difference in handling, the suspension must have been a different, and far better set up on the cupra.

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
The ibiza seemed to handle okay in its rally championships? Must have a heck of a load of power in that.

Its all about suspension and tyres with power, for example i had a cupra 8v, and now have the equivalent normal gti 8v, i can notice the difference in handling, the suspension must have been a different, and far better set up on the cupra.

tbh,
i think the suspension on the cupra is the same as on a GTi,
maybe the shocks were sha@@ed

robreidmotors

RobReid
May 10, 2008
Lancashire
re above, the shocks were different, although the previous owner may have updated them to sports shocks. My current suspension works as it should, but isnt stiff like sports shocks.

mickeykdan

Dec 19, 2007
UK
Im just commenting on this post again as I seem to remember seeing somehwere on the forum that somebody only had the smell of petrol come into the car when they were stationary.

I think this is the case as the breather filter (now an open vent) allows the fumes to exit into the engine bay area and then enter the car instead of being circulated back into the air box (as per the standard airbox setup)

Fairly obvious. This will have been already quoted on the forum I suspect.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.