New Cat rqd - other options?

markarse

Oct 3, 2005
Hi all.

According to my trusty local garage I need a new catalytic converter as mine has a big hole in it.

I also need a new centre section, and most likely a new back box as well.

What (other than 100% standard) are my options?

Oh, it's a 1999 2.0 16V ABF Cupra Sport.

Ta,

Mark

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
No point in buying the standard cat because they so expensive, it's actually cheaper to get a sports cat instead unless you can pick up a second hand one.

Exhaust options, could have a custom made one by Pro Speed, Longlife, Powerflow etc... buy an aftermarket one made by magnex for example or do what a few people have done is pick up a second hand exhaust system off the Ibiza Mk3 20vT and that will fit straight onto the Mk2.

If you don't want a loud exhaust or worried about the sound best bet is to go for a custom built one because you can pick the sound you want or finding a 20vT exhaust.

ACH

Mar 7, 2005
Over there
Out of interest how loud would you think a 2.0 8v would be with a 20vt backbox?. The rest of the system been a decat and no centre box.

markarse

Oct 3, 2005
Sports cat

Is a sports cat going to make any difference to torque or power?

Std cat can be got for around £200, sports cat around £350.

If I'm going to spend the money is it worth the extra?

I will probably go for the MK3 cat-back option I think.

Oh, not too bothered either way about noise - as long as it's not silly... I had a Group N exhaust on a boxer-engined Alfa for a bit and that WAS silly. Too much interest from the boys in Blue! Just want to make sure that I don't have any (more) nasty surprises at MOT time.

Last edited:

TDISam

HoorayforCaptainSpaulding
Apr 21, 2005
Stourbridge
what you want is straight through pipe all the way from the engine to the back with a tailpipe welded on for decoration, works wonders for sound and performance and shouldnt cost more than £150 ;)

markarse

Oct 3, 2005
TDISam said:
what you want is straight through pipe all the way from the engine to the back with a tailpipe welded on for decoration, works wonders for sound and performance and shouldnt cost more than £150 ;)

Well if things get really tight... ;)

Dave Cymru said:
I paid £250 for my sports cat noticed a bit of a diference.

Do you happen to remember where it was from? Would be good to know! Also, what other mods have you done engine-wise?

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Got my sports cat from Pro Speed in cardiff I remember Longlife doing offers on them too. All I've done to my engine is Sports cat and system and panel filter wiv drilled air box, gonna be getting that TSR manifold in the next few weeks.

markarse

Oct 3, 2005
Dave Cymru said:
Got my sports cat from Pro Speed in cardiff I remember Longlife doing offers on them too. All I've done to my engine is Sports cat and system and panel filter wiv drilled air box, gonna be getting that TSR manifold in the next few weeks.

Dave, you are a legend. Thanks for your help.

Small phone call tomorrow am.

Cheers,

Mark

markarse

Oct 3, 2005
Dave,

Did they provide you with just the cat or did you get a complete system from them as well?

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
markarse said:
Dave,

Did they provide you with just the cat or did you get a complete system from them as well?

The complete system cat and the cat back system, most custom built exhaust companies should do it.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise