New Cupra TDi Arrived at last!

Trickthedick

Nov 10, 2007
Nippy little things aren't they?

Not got anywhere the initial urge of our Mazda nor the grip levels naturally but on the few miles done now I'm impressed.

Gotta read the manual now though, fund out what all these new fangled gadgets do...how to switch on/off driver aids and find the ones that work for me as left foot braking seems to confuse it. :shrug:

Only other downside I've found with her is the width of the B post...it's rather wide and make it visually difficult to position the o/s front wheel but I'll learn to drive around that. (Trick tip: pay extra attention coz it's wide enough to hide a biker and being a biker too that worries me a littel)

Trickthedick

Nov 10, 2007
Yeah, just read the manual....guess I have to downgrade my driving skills and put my faith in computers....Shame.

Mind you I still got the Mazda to keep those skills refreshed...hope it snows soon

Gazb

Mar 6, 2007
Lisburn, Northern Ireland
I've only done about 200 miles on my Cupra TDI so far. It feels like the engine is starting to free up a bit, though its still pretty easy to stall when cold. :rolleyes:

If anything I find the PD160 to be alot smoother than my FR 130 was, power doesn't come in with a bang then tail off straight after. Ofcourse I can't tell for certain as I've only put he foot down a couple of times (takes abit for the turbo to spool up then smoothly pulls with a slight kick at 3k rpm up to 4k), I'm going to run he engine in with 2 or 3 tanks of fuel before properly playing with the power.

Only mods so far as the K&N panel filter and Seat Sport Strut Brace, next up is getting the rings around the air vents and around the gear lever. After that probably a miltek exhaust.

Last edited:

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
It works because the transmission is still driving the engine and so forcing the cylinders to compress and convert the kinetic energy mainly into heat. You don't need the fuel to do this.

The brake pedal will override the accelerator whether it is pressed or not :(

pauliepaul

stop making my car dirty
Aug 19, 2007
cornwall
It works because the transmission is still driving the engine and so forcing the cylinders to compress and convert the kinetic energy mainly into heat. You don't need the fuel to do this.

The brake pedal will override the accelerator whether it is pressed or not :(

yeah discoverd this yesterday when i left foot braked, dabble dthe accelerator and bog all happened ;)

then i realised i was in gear, automatically shoved my left foot in on the 'clutch' and BANG. i stopped :redface:

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
lets be honest left foot braking isnt essential is it! the miniscure of a second it takes to swap your right foot onto the accelerator isnt going to make you late for work ;)

im not convinced about this fuel cut off malarky :confused: how does the car come to a slow stop and still tickover?

pauliepaul

stop making my car dirty
Aug 19, 2007
cornwall
lets be honest left foot braking isnt essential is it! the miniscure of a second it takes to swap your right foot onto the accelerator isnt going to make you late for work ;)

im not convinced about this fuel cut off malarky :confused: how does the car come to a slow stop and still tickover?

i think it just cuts the accelerator off, so the engine ticks over but you can't make it rev. so if you're braking without the clutch down, you can't bugger things up by hitting the accelerator too. kinda makes sense really

but probably not with that explanation ;)

Trickthedick

Nov 10, 2007
You guys never raced did you?

I did and use those skills in my daily driving, left foot braking is something I'll let you read about (there are 2 variations) but for the Seat I have to remember not to use it. To make the most of the Mazda it's very effective as is heel and toe...;-)

Trickthedick

Nov 10, 2007
1988 323 4x4 Turbo

You can find pics using the post I did today about posting photos where it appears the more "unsociable" forum users have gone bonkers!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.