The Leon has arrived :)

Bubbs

Jul 18, 2013
So, it's here.

1.4 FR 5 Door. Tech Pack. Convenience Pack. Winter Pack (for a toasty behind on frosty mornings). Oh yeah, and it's silver.

Only done the grand total of 35 miles thus far, but, for those who are waiting for theirs, and are curious...

The Good:
No rattles (yet).
Auto Wipers that actually work!
The SEAT Sound System. :whistle:
The Seats.
Coming home lights.
LED Lights!*
I have only seen one other one on the road in the past week.
48-point-something MPG on the 22 1/2 mile drive home, which is almost identical to what my old Mazda diesel used to do.
3/4 of a tank of fuel onboard :)

The Not-So-Good / Annoying:
The weather. (Raining all day [:@] )
Other cars getting in the way on the way home.
Seatbelt height doesn't adjust (never thought of this on the test drive).
HUGE blind spot over my shoulder on dual carriageways, cos I sit right on the thicker-than-most B pillar.
No cover on the cupholders a-la-Golf. ( = dust trap).

*Edit* = Plus, the base of the cupholder is not a textured removable rubber thing like in most vehicles, it's just a big plastic moulding which is non-removable. This means if you drop coins in there, they rattle around a lot.

*Edit* = The cubby hole thing in front of the gearknob below the heating controls doesn't have a rubber anti slip mat in it either, so stuff slides around in there too.

Washer 'Jets' rather than Fans (whhyyyy??).
The wing mirror adjuster joystick thing is fiddly. Plus, would be better if the mirror heating turned on when you turn the heated rear screen on. One less thing to faff with.
The 'Mode' light stays orange if you're in sport mode.

I find it almost impossible to see at-a-glance when I am doing 30mph by reading the analogue speedometer. Hence the MFD in the instrument panel will be spending most of its life showing me the digital speed readout. That is the single biggest niggle with the instrumentation.

*Edit* = It doesn't seem possible to de-activate the 'wipe when reversing' function (which activates the rear wiper when the front wipers are on and the car is in reverse). This has on more than one occasion lead to a big smeary mess on the back window, as occasionally it might just be damp enough to have the front wipers going but not the back...

Other Niggles:
Front number plate was delaminating, and the screws were in a different place on each side when I saw the car for the first time. Promptly replaced by the dealer before we got to the paperwork stage.

It was not as clean as it should have been upon collection. Bits of sticky stuff from the shipping wrap left on the paintwork etc. I thought there was a hair trapped in the laquer on the bonnet but it turned out to be more shipping-wrap smudges.

The cleanliness I can abide, just, because I will (if it ever stops raining) be sealing / waxing it anyway. Plus by the time I'd got the car back to work, driving behind a lorry, it was filthy anyway. But the smudges are just plain lack of attention by the valeter at the dealer. Still, I've bought enough cars in the past to know that this is almost par for the course. At least they didn't scratch the thing (like my last car).

Some other observations:

The * next to the LED lights is that they're, well... They look GREAT. But, I found the dip-beam-flip-up-when-switching-to-main-beam to be a little distracting. I'll get used to it I guess. But more than that, I've come from a car with HID lights, and, my initial feeling is that the LEDs just aren't quite *that* bright. I think this might be because the dip flips upwards when the main comes on, so you get a dark patch right on the nose of the car. Or it could just be that I was driving back on a night where it had rained all day, and for some reason, headlamps don't seem to be as bright when it's wet outside, maybe the light gets bounced around more or something.

Having said that, if you compare them to Halogen they are on a different planet. Plus, no more scratched hands or fumbling around in the dark on a cold winter morning/evening trying to replace lightbulbs. :)

The other thing I would say, coming from a diesel, is that it is WAY too easy to suddenly be doing 45-50 mph when going through town. This must be down to my being conditioned to accelerate until the torque runs out, then change gear and lift off. Oh, and the fact that compared with my old car it's dead quiet. Not Golf 7 quiet (I've been driving one of those for the last two weeks), but it is not far off.

The only thing I think I will REALLY miss from my old car is a proper heated windscreen (Mazda / Ford).

So priorities now are:

A) Clean it. Properly.

B) Get winter wheels & tyres for it.

C) Learn how to put it in the garage properly so that I don't have to squeeze in. (Or maybe I just lose weight).

D) When it's a bit older (and I therefore do not care so much if I make a bodge of something), investigate whether MK7 Golf Heated Fan Jets will fit the space where the Leon Heated 'Pistol' Washer Jets are.

I haven't played with the media system nor the satnav, nor the phone bluetooth yet, so cannot yet comment, but from a driving point of view I am well happy thus far. :)

There will be pics at some point, when the weather improves.

Last edited:

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
Welcome to the small but elite Ice Silver club, Bubbs.

Shared thoughts:
Mine was valeted well. Just one number plate screw cover missing at the front. The salesperson was upset to have missed it especially as she went out that morning to dry it off after the valeter had worked on it the day before. After sealing and waxing, I have only found only 3 tiny dust specs under the paintwork on the roof, which look like the Matterhorn, of course. Doesn't really warrant a complete respray I suppose. Seriously, its the best car I have owned for fit and finish and that includes 3 BMWs.

Dealer nicely walked through all the gadgets including setting up my SGS3. It took seconds to sync contacts etc. She let on after I complimented her that they get a bonus if the is it OK call from SEAT UK is good.

Also noticed the speedo being on evens is annoying, snazzy but not a model of clarity and the blind spot made worse by the headrests I think at a much used junction.

I think the LEDs are just different and noticed in the dark dark they seemed much brighter than in the gloom. Someone has posted that there is a regulator upgrade on the software whether ours just delivered have it I don't know yet.

I am amazed at the level of personal adjustment to many features available on the Media system for a reasonably priced car. It's a SE.

I am into serious mods and so have ordered the good value SEAT tyre valve covers at £6 and the chromed Key cap for my key to distinguish it from the better halfs (£9 something) (Prt No, 5GO 837 599 A Kappe). Both of these mods will add torque and grip as we go into the winter months.

Am liking the DSG in this 1.2 TSI. It seems to be a good match. Smooth quiet and economical and scarily fast for such a tiny engine. Would have considered the 1.4 but no DSG. This weeks AutoExpress has a long term review of the same car and gave it a glowing report and 5*.

Now it's stopped raining I'm off for a long drive today :happy:

metomurti

Apr 26, 2013
Welcome to the small but elite Ice Silver club, Bubbs.

Shared thoughts:
Mine was valeted well. Just one number plate screw cover missing at the front. The salesperson was upset to have missed it especially as she went out that morning to dry it off after the valeter had worked on it the day before. After sealing and waxing, I have only found only 3 tiny dust specs under the paintwork on the roof, which look like the Matterhorn, of course. Doesn't really warrant a complete respray I suppose. Seriously, its the best car I have owned for fit and finish and that includes 3 BMWs.

Dealer nicely walked through all the gadgets including setting up my SGS3. It took seconds to sync contacts etc. She let on after I complimented her that they get a bonus if the is it OK call from SEAT UK is good.

Also noticed the speedo being on evens is annoying, snazzy but not a model of clarity and the blind spot made worse by the headrests I think at a much used junction.

I think the LEDs are just different and noticed in the dark dark they seemed much brighter than in the gloom. Someone has posted that there is a regulator upgrade on the software whether ours just delivered have it I don't know yet.

I am amazed at the level of personal adjustment to many features available on the Media system for a reasonably priced car. It's a SE.

I am into serious mods and so have ordered the good value SEAT tyre valve covers at £6 and the chromed Key cap for my key to distinguish it from the better halfs (£9 something) (Prt No, 5GO 837 599 A Kappe). Both of these mods will add torque and grip as we go into the winter months.

Am liking the DSG in this 1.2 TSI. It seems to be a good match. Smooth quiet and economical and scarily fast for such a tiny engine. Would have considered the 1.4 but no DSG. This weeks AutoExpress has a long term review of the same car and gave it a glowing report and 5*.

Now it's stopped raining I'm off for a long drive today :happy:

I looked up but I could not find. Would you please tell the published date of Autoexpress?

Amigu

The LED headlights are really bright, but as with all lights you can't test it correctly when it rains. The light will indeed seem like it's less bright, because the light is broken up.

madduffyx

Dec 21, 2009
Nice little review Bubbs! Quick question....you mention the heated wing mirrors? How do you turn them on? I couldn't for the life of me figure it out the other day lol

Marve

Apr 20, 2013
Nice little review Bubbs! Quick question....you mention the heated wing mirrors? How do you turn them on? I couldn't for the life of me figure it out the other day lol

You twist the knob to control the wing mirrors round to the picture of the wing mirror. Top right I think it is. So top left folds them in, top right heats them, bottom right means you can adjust the right mirror, bottom left means you can adjust the left mirror (and will also dip left mirror when in reverse (depending on week of build(other way round on left hand drive)) and then bottom middle is neutral where nothing will happen.

madduffyx

Dec 21, 2009
You twist the knob to control the wing mirrors round to the picture of the wing mirror. Top right I think it is. So top left folds them in, top right heats them, bottom right means you can adjust the right mirror, bottom left means you can adjust the left mirror (and will also dip left mirror when in reverse (depending on week of build(other way round on left hand drive)) and then bottom middle is neutral where nothing will happen.

Thanks :D Driving in the North East will be all the more safer now.... :lol:

jpwharmby

Nov 1, 2006
Kingston, Surrey
Lovely review, thanks.

The pistol washers are annoying (again - WHY!?), I know on an old PUG I had years ago I could straight swap for a decent fan wash, are kind of hoping the same will appear for this.

Bubbs

Jul 18, 2013
Ta peeps.

@Madduffy - last night on the way home, I noticed that if you are sitting in the right (or wrong?) position, you actually cannot see that part of the mirror switch cos it's blocked by the mirror-adjustment joystick thing. I only knew that was how it worked as it's been that way on SEAT and VW group cars for as long as I can remember. :p

@Marve - I was getting ready to say the same thing but you beat me to it. :)

@jpwharmby My parents have a MK7 golf (MQB platform, just like the Leon). It's got fan washers, which - at a glance at least - appear to be exactly the same jet unit shape and size as the Leon. The only thing really is to figure out how to get them out of the underside of the bonnet. I've seen in the MK1/2 Leon forum on here that some other people have swapped theirs out for Audi/VW ones, so hopefully the same thing can be done this time around. It's more to do with getting a lot of water onto the screen before the wipers move, rather than looks - as the pistol types don't spread so well, so the wipers then run across dry parts of the screen, damaging in the long term both wiper and windscreen.

Dry on the way home last night, LEDs seemed a bit better, though was clear skies and almost a full moon so not totally dark! Oh well ! :)

Anyway once the fog lifts here I shall be cleaning today 'mit camera', in the meantime I need to sit and figure out the best way to set up the sound system and see if I can sort my seating position out. I also want to see if I can get the headrests to tip forward, though I have a feeling that they don't.

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
181916d1280974374-2000-es300-chrome-oval-exhaust-tips-useless-without-pics.jpg

:)

Scott

jpwharmby

Nov 1, 2006
Kingston, Surrey
It's all about the spread for the sprays. It was the only thing that bugged me when I was test driving, but not enough to not get one ;)

Hopefully next week my car will arrive too.

Bubbs

Jul 18, 2013
Well, was ready to spend an hour uploading some pics, once I had cleaned the car this morning... but then, disaster: The rear numberplate fell off when washing.

So, I've been to the dealer and they've screwed it on, as it should have been in the first place.

The problem is that you can get away with sticky pads if you're attaching to a painted surface, but the FR has that plastic stuff on the bumper, which is textured, and thus, not very good at having things stick to it.

Anyway, some more observations:

1. The right hand knob on the touchscreen thing will allow you to scroll through the menus, which is a whole lot better than trying to drive along and poke at the screen as your arm bounces around the place. Yes, it's probably in the manual but I've not read it ;)

2. The cup holder is not big enough to accommodate a Galaxy S2 mobile phone - not that I use it whilst driving anyway :ban: Nor is it big enough to accommodate a standard size bottle of wine - nor do I do that whilst I am driving either haha.

3. Late autumn afternoons confuse the auto lights. I think the guy in front of me thought I was telling him to get out of the way as I drove along, the Leon flashing at him all the time.

4. The instrument brightness seems to adjust itself if the sun shines into your face, which is quite cool. That must be linked to the dusk sensor with the auto lights I guess.

5. Oh yeah, and you can't raise the wiper arms without putting them into the 'maintenance' position. This makes cleaning the windscreen a bit of a faff, as the wipers swing up towards the driver's side A pillar, which means, once you have cleaned the screen, you then have to put them back down onto your (clean) screen, and then have them sweep down, dry, back to the park position, dragging any little dust specks with them.

Bubbs

Jul 18, 2013
Photos :)

And, cos I know Syphon was getting impatient :p

Some (lots of) photos, of dubious quality.

Washing mode.
20131018_124505.jpg

Wipers in that annoying position.
20131018_141126.jpg

100 Acre Wood

20131018_165913.jpg

20131018_165906.jpg

m6Ac-0sZqDZ2o3msFNPZAeJaBuC5Rtd2Ld8VboeWlQ=w441-h518-no

20131018_165927.jpg

Orange Mode Button (when in sport mode)
20131018_164053.jpg

And for those who have not sat in one yet, some views from the driving position. I like how the windows run beyond the wing mirrors, makes visibility when turning right much better. These are pretty much exactly what I see from where I sit.

20131018_163943.jpg

20131018_163933.jpg

20131018_163905.jpg

20131018_164108.jpg

20131018_164003.jpg

20131018_164124.jpg

Right, so now I've done that, I shall await news that the photo links do not work :whistle: :rolleyes:

Kali

Sep 7, 2013
Scotland, U.K.
Well, I got a 1.4 mk1 so maybe wanna swap? ;>
And seriously - very nice car. Really love how they done a sport and a premium look in not high class car.

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
Hi Bubbs you must be near me with GU and 100 acre wood. I'm GX and WSx. Remember we are in the exclusive Ice Silver club. So cool [B)]
Guess who got heated seats then?
Have you found the on/off radio button? That's right there isn't one! Not if you want the screen to show anything other than date and time. Just turn down the volume. The manual refers to a Mute button but I've only got one on the steering wheel.
Could you check your front inside parking sensors for me. I have a 1mm bulge from inside to outside just above and through the sensor. Only noticed it the other day. Not a knock as from in to out. Maybe misplaced sensor as it can be pushed in 1mm. Pleased to know if it's a "feature , sir"

Bubbs

Jul 18, 2013
Kali - I nearly bought a Mk1 FR just as the MK2 was coming out, but didn't have the dosh, went for a Ibiza FR instead (this was in 2005). Then left SEAT land for 6 years, but am back :D

Dephead2004 - Next time it's out of the garage and daylight I'll have a look, though the sensors seemed ok earlier when I had my face up close whilst waxing it.

I spend most of my time driving up and down the A22 / 264 Crowborough to Crawley at 6am/8pm - one reason for getting Silver was that it was easy to keep clean (country lanes etc) :)

A roadtrip to Northumberland is on the cards, cos the roads up there are stunning. Need to wait until spring though!

The 'Mute' button is actually there on cars which don't have satnav. Rather than have one blank button, they all get moved around, and the mute button goes where 'Voice' is (or might be 'Menu', I can't remember).

Though it is the same on the Golf too, you can't turn the radio off and have the display on. Golf gets an analogue looking clock, Leon gets a digital style one.

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
Thanks for that info. That explains the handbook and non existent mute
I agree about silver taking longer for muck to show.
I only caught sight of the "ripple" after I had washed , sealed and waxed and caught the light just right.
Nice ride. I make the opposite journey from south of Crawley to Crowborough to visit the outlaws.
Who was your $tealer? Mine was Lifestyle Brighton. Pretty good on the whole with SEAT UK CS filling in the gaps.

Bubbs

Jul 18, 2013
I got mine from CDG Crawley Down, mainly cos I work at Gatwick, servicing easy etc, though whether I will actually use them for servicing remains to be seen. Westerham garage never once let me down in nearly 8 years, so I might make the journey there for when the day comes.

I bought my last car from Lifestyle Mazda Eastbourne - if they had had their SEAT dealership there I'd have gone straight back, no question (plus, well, not sure if he's still there or not, but one of the Eastbourne sales guys is a friend of a friend).

Brighton was a long way to go though 'on spec', particularly as it was late one afternoon when I hauled the Mazda over to Crawley. The local dealer is Caffyns Tun Wells, 7 miles away, but they were completely disinterested when I tried to arrange a test drive, everything was too difficult, or not on this day, etc etc.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise