Newboy cupra question

sweedish

Hi Guys,

Hoping for some advice, i am after a cupra 2002 model, just wanna check, what traction control do these cars come with. It has TCS apparently, will it have esp as well or is this only an option and if it is whats the difference?
Many thanks!

andycupra

status subject to change
is this a leon or ibiza?

i assume a leon...?

TCS is traction control. As such it will detect loss of traction and reduce/cut engine power to correct this. Ie will stop or reduce the front wheels spinning.

ESP is Electronic Stability Programme. This has traction control, but also has the ability to brake individual wheels to control or correct the cars behaviour.
This system has lots of sensors that can detect, for example: understeer or over steer and calculates what is needed to correct it. This could include cutting power and braking certain wheels as certain times.
So using a combination of traction control and the ABS system it tries to keep the car under control.

Tiff did a test on tv where he had to swerve around a car at high speed with and without it. Th results / differences were amazing.

The car will have TCS OR ESP, not both. (although ESP has traction control incorporated in it)

As for whether the car 2002 car with have TCS or ESP. im not sure but i think ESP will have been a option for that year.

Last edited:

sweedish

Sorry Andy would have helped if i had said Leon, well as far as i can tell the esp does seem to be a rare option, did any cupra (non r models as i cant afford those) cars come with this as standard?

thanks Andy

andycupra

status subject to change
yes, some very early ones. like 2000 x reg or so.
this came with alot of other options also:

full leather, memory seats,
auto dimming rear view mirror
auto wipers
cruise control
6 cd changer

however they did not have the facelifted body kit.

i know of a 2000 blue leon cupra for sale with all these, 18" alloys and faceliftted...
39,000 miles

sweedish

ah ok, seems odd to have so many options, to tempt buyers i guess,
so what kinda price and condition is the cupra you know of?

jc2k

That model was the first Cupra and was a couple of grand more expensive than what we know as the Cupra today, which is really a rebadged 20VT Sport.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.