Oiled Air filter BMC or K&N

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
I have used JR and K&N oiled panel filters over the years in different VAG cars. Haven’t found any debris / fine dust in the intake channel after the filter. I analyse it in detail!
What about BMC oiled filters compared to others? Where do they stand, do BMC filter smaller particles than K&N?

If BMC are better I will buy one ASAP. Have K&N now since a couple of months in my Cupra R.

E.g.Item no for for ea888 / Leon Cupra:
BMC FB756/20
K&N 33-3005

/Peter

Last edited:

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Have you seen any oil analysis' of engines using K&N? They generally show high levels of silicone, which indicates dirt contamination of the oil from less effective filtration. Check out "Bob is the Oil Guy" if you've plenty of time.

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
I put a k&n panel filter on a vectra vxr I had. Despite drying the filter by patting it with kitchen roll before fitting it filled the MAF/AFM with oil and the car ran like a bag of spanners, I just stick to genuine ones now.

PP Gareth

Forum Sponsor
Apr 2, 2019
No personal experience but we do sell a high number of MQB panel filters mainly VAGSport and Racing line. With no complaints

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
Ran a k&n panel filter on a stage 1 Vectra Vxr for 4 years and had no issues what so ever.

My dad had a k&n induction kit on a Volvo 850 t5 for years without issues

Also had a k&n on a Volvo s70 r, saab 9-5 aero and Mazda rx8 without any issue.

Currently have a k&n panel filter on my leon fr

I think the key is to remove and wash every 3-4k miles and re oil very very liberally every other wash.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
I put a k&n panel filter on a vectra vxr I had. Despite drying the filter by patting it with kitchen roll before fitting it filled the MAF/AFM with oil and the car ran like a bag of spanners, I just stick to genuine ones now.

Oil on MAF sensor – not an issue for EA888 gen 3 since it haven’t MAF. I was more interested of how small particulars they filter compared to OEM.

It’s nearly impossible to find a balanced review /test of how different filter alternatives filter micro “dust”.

Ran a k&n panel filter on a stage 1 Vectra Vxr for 4 years and had no issues what so ever.

My dad had a k&n induction kit on a Volvo 850 t5 for years without issues

Also had a k&n on a Volvo s70 r, saab 9-5 aero and Mazda rx8 without any issue.

Currently have a k&n panel filter on my leon fr

I think the key is to remove and wash every 3-4k miles and re oil very very liberally every other wash.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Yes cleaning about the miles range you do is a good habit ( I also do it).

/Peter

_Dejan_

Mar 20, 2018
EA888.3 Doesn't have MAF sensor like old engines where oil in air filter kill themn. First MAP sensor is after intercooler(and turbo) and before throttle body and there can get also engine oil and it do not kill MAP sensors...

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.