Overtightened oil filter!

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
I would like to ask the world a question...

Who the hell put my old oil filter on?!

Just spend THREE hours trying to get the damn thing off with one of the belt removal tools, my mate who is a tank mechanic has been down to have a go, and neither of us can get it to come off!!

Don't really want to go down the route of slamming a screwdriver through it, as its a bit of a one way path!

Does anyone have any tips for getting them off, as I can't really get between the filter + housing to try and tap a screwdriver in there to crack the seal, as it is so awkwardly located!

The old filter now has a few dints in it from the removal belt being so tight round it, so another question is; if I can't get the old filter off, is it worth putting the old oil back in and driving to a garage on monday? How likely is any engine damage if the filter isn't working effectively?

Thanks in advance from a rather annoyed Ben!

sounds like who ever fitted your filter didnt put any oil on the oil filter seal then reffitted it really tight.
it might be a case of when you do get it loose the internal housing will come off with it as i had this happen when i serviced an octavia rs a thew years ago,personally id get the tool that fits over the top of the filter as that will get it off or the horrible chain type filter removers although they normally muller them if that fails then use the screwdriver trick.
dont let an oil filter defeat you.

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
Haha, like the sign off there al! I thought the same thing - the car had full dealer service history untill last service (presume the guy didnt want to give it the 'red carpet' treatment just before he sold it) so looks like the backstreet garage did like you said and never bothered to oil the filter before they put it on... either that or Arnold Schwarzenegger's left California to take up a job as a mechanic!

Yeah I have seen the ones that fit over the end of the filter, but the little motor shop round the corner only had the belt ones or chain ones... tried one of the chain ones on my last car and it just slipped round the filter, and like you said james, completely knackered the housing! Then tried the screwdriver trick which just ripped a hole round the filter and didnt move the top half at all!

Just forgetting about it for tonight, going to wait for some more daylight and leave the car jacked up and empty of oil for the night!

wayne lcr

bored of it now
Mar 5, 2009
doncaster
it would leak if they never put oil around the o ring rubber seal and over tightened it you already got a new filter so carnt see a problem putting a screw driver though it and you carnt get the filter remover that goes on the end becos theres no room

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
Halfords have got the oil filter cup tool only about a fiver i got one for my LCR and it works a treat there is plenty of room in there to get it on!!! i used a 6 inch extension on it to remove.

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
Not being insulting, but are you certain your are trying to twist it the right way? There is an epic thread on uk-mkiv's about someone who posted all sorts on there about how he couldn't do it. He completely knackered the filter and housing, finally gave in and called a mechanic out, which promptly twisted it the correct way and it came straight off.

Jun 26, 2008
Just round the corner.
Not being insulting, but are you certain your are trying to twist it the right way? There is an epic thread on uk-mkiv's about someone who posted all sorts on there about how he couldn't do it. He completely knackered the filter and housing, finally gave in and called a mechanic out, which promptly twisted it the correct way and it came straight off.

LOL,
I'm ashamed to admit that I spent 1hr trying to get my filter off my Calibra.
Stabbed it with a screwdriver, then frustrated I stepped and realised I was turning it clockwise (tightening up). Funny on the first attempt anti clockwise turned straight away.:rolleyes:

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
Yeah I am doing it anticlockwise! haha, the thought did cross my mind though I'll be honest! as for Halfords, the nearest one is about 10 miles away - cant drive there though!

Yeah I know i already have another filter ready to go on so it doesnt matter about knackering this one, but last time I tried the screwdriver trick it just ripped round the whole filter, leaving the top half of it still stuck to the engine!

I tried to spray a bit of WD40 round the top of it last night, in the vein hope that it might get through to the seal and help get it off, had another quick crack at it this afternoon but still absolutely wedged on there. I give up, going to be a wuss and take it to a garage tomorrow, see if they can get it off for us! I don't have the patience! haha.

They arent half in an awkward place though - dont understand why they tuck em away so much seeing as its gotta be the most replaced part on an engine!

adm013

Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
Dont stick a screw driver through it unless it is the very last resort, and if you do this prepare for a real headache of a job trying to remove what remains of it. All you need to do is get the seal cracked and it will unscrew, like it has been said that guy before hasn't put oil round the seal and it has just melted/stuck on.

I had this on a car before and heated the top of the filter up with a blow torch until it was just to hot to touch and got a couple of rags and did it by hand, took a lot of pressure to move it but it went.

If your not comfortible with the whole blow torch idea then you could use some loctite cold shock spray(cant remember the proper name) as it says it cools it down so will contract the rubber and porobably with a bit of effort will break the seal.

Andy

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
I would really avoid doing the screwdriver thing as mentioned earlier it can rip round and make it worse. its just been over tightened by a monkey!!

use the cup tool (made by lazer for vw audi filters) it will get the tightest of oil filters off, im sure there are some on ebay if halfords are too far away.

PlymLeon

You can get pipe grips designed for oil filters which work well. They dig right in on a few points so less chance of filter ripping

dan.r.m.mudd

Feb 18, 2017
sounds like who ever fitted your filter didnt put any oil on the oil filter seal then reffitted it really tight.
it might be a case of when you do get it loose the internal housing will come off with it as i had this happen when i serviced an octavia rs a thew years ago,personally id get the tool that fits over the top of the filter as that will get it off or the horrible chain type filter removers although they normally muller them if that fails then use the screwdriver trick.
dont let an oil filter defeat you.
Old post but you mentioned in here that the housing May come away with it also. This has just happened to me. The internal thread is stuck on the oil filter. Do you know what holds the filter housing to the engine, I'm hoping it's just the same thread that you screw the oil filter onto. Am driving £360 miles tomorrow night so hoping I've not cause a massive amount of damage :( was due an oil change so thought I would try and save some money and do it myself !!!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Rich-I-Am

Dec 8, 2015
Bedford
Try getting the engine hot before you try removing it. The rubber seal will soften and in theory making it easier to remove.

Rich

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members