Parts needed for aftermarket headunit swap!

Aug 11, 2008
Liverpool
Right, well the time has come to swap my headunit, and, after reading around I have decided on the headunit I want.

I'm planning on buying the Alpine W505R double din headunit with an Alpine Blackbird unit for sat nav purposes. On reading around I have discovered that the OEM bluetooth unit can be attached to this headunit with the Alpine KCE-900E unit which will switch over to the phone when it is rang.

What parts do I need for the fascia and surround? Also do I need some sort of adapter for attaching the headunit to the steering wheel controls? I've read that the output from the bluetooth is in mono, so do I need an RCA Y splitter so that it duplicates the signal into both channels when being plugged into the KCE-900E?

Thanks for any help!
Andy

n_olympios

greek member
I've got the exact same setup. In fact, I just got the Blackbird unit (PMD-B200P) today.

You will need a CANBUS adapter from Peripheral Electronics or equivalent, these are usually universal and you "program" them for the specific car brand/HU brand. I know mine did anyway. My own does the following:

a) give power to the HU (it shuts it down when you take the key off of the ignition)
b) make steering wheel controls work with the HU
c) (I think) produce a "reverse" signal (for using a rear camera or parking sensors)
d) override the "parking brake engaged" limitation, so you can enter the setup screen and watch videos whilst not parked (may be illegal in some countries, not to mention dangerous as well). ;)

Other than that and the KCE-900E, you don't really need anything else. The Blackbird unit comes with a GPS antenna (2, actually), one of which you need to install in the car and plug into the rear of the W505R. The KCE-900E doesn't need a Y-splitter, it takes the mono signal and transmits it to both channels anyway, it's that good. :)

Installation/fascia-wise, you have two routes which you can follow:

a) the easy one is get a 2-DIN fascia from Seat or Pioneer or other brand (Celsus etc) and install the Alpine with its own cage right away and be done with it

OR

b) get a 2-DIN Golf MkV adapter which looks like this:

afc5714.jpg

and a Leon II FR Multimedia HU surround and combine the two. Mind you though, depending on the quality of the Golf 2DIN adapter, it's not an easy job.

They say a pic is worth 1000 words, well here's a pic from ETKA as I'm bored to write in so much detail #12 is solution (a), #14 is solution (b):

ETKALeonIIdash.jpg

Of course you should order the RHD one. Don't forget to order the spring clamps, you'll need 9 of them.

And here's an awful pic of my KCE-900E during installation while I'm at it (you can also see part of the multimedia surround trim).

P1010008_resize.jpg

And here's a pic of the HU installed:

P1010046_resize.jpg

Last edited:

S2TTB

The fake K1...
Apr 28, 2008
Glesga
theres a lot nicer facia posted by someone up here ages ago....

its made specifically for the mk2 leon by seat and has a sort of recess to it.

I've actually got one sitting in my garage for when i come to change my headunit over.

same as this but its for the right hand drive models

02012009262.jpg

Aug 11, 2008
Liverpool
Wow.. Thanks for the post, thats exactly what I needed! :D

Just need to decide which fascia to get now. My Blackbird is arriving tomorrow, getting the same one as you. Will be ordering the rest of the bits, then getting the headunit in a couple weeks when I have some more cash! :)

ChrisMansell

Sep 4, 2008
I don't see why you'd ever want to go for option (b) of two separate adapters when you can just get option (a) as a complete, smooth looking fascia. . . .

people only used to got for option b when option a wasn't available, or at least, no one knew about it . . .

ye, so forget about option b

ChrisMansell

Sep 4, 2008
just one thing to point out, when you order the fascia for the double din unit from seat, you have to order the retaining clips as well, separately, because SEAT are so poo, they don't tell you that you need these clips . . which I found out the hard way. I hot-glue gunned mine in place at first until I realised that you had to order some extra clips . . .

n_olympios

greek member
Right on, forget about option (b). The less people do it that way, the more special it makes me feel (lol). :lol:

On a serious note, option (b) is for those not wanting their main console to have 2 different colours (the recessed surround rarely has the same colour in the rest of the dash plastics, especially in the FR/Cupras); also for those thinking that the space around the HU is needlessly big, and the multimedia surround helps hide that in a way.

Edit: yeah, I did mention the spring clips in my first post, but indeed it was the same over here, I ordered the trim and they didn't think to give me those as well.

Last edited:

ChrisMansell

Sep 4, 2008
ye, didn't see the spring clip bit . . soz. .

my stylance had the silver dash and matched perfectly with the option a, but I see what you mean if they don't have your colour . . .

DaveP

Small Member
Oct 3, 2001
Wiltshire
Visit site
I have a facia panel and golf double din adaptor if you are interested? and an aerial adaptor and wiring harness. Even have a NON canbus adaptor (but somehow I think you might want a canbus one).

Aug 11, 2008
Liverpool
MAJOR CORRECTION:

The interrupt module is NOT, I repeat, NOT the KCE-900E.

The correct part code is NVE-K200, found HERE!

Thats a good job you posted that! :)

Its slightly cheaper too.. Didn't realise those can bus adapters were so expensive, cheapest I can find is £85.

Am going to get all the parts and fascia ordered tomorrow then get the headunit on payday next week.. :)

Aug 11, 2008
Liverpool
Street, the NVE-K200 is not a CANBUS adaptor, it's what you use to extract the audio and interrupt signal from the BT unit. :)

Yeh, I didn't word it very well! I meant that the K200 is slightly cheaper than the 900E and that the can bus adapters were quite expensive too! :)

ktulumike

Jul 9, 2008
Banbridge, N Ireland
just one thing to point out, when you order the fascia for the double din unit from seat, you have to order the retaining clips as well, separately, because SEAT are so poo, they don't tell you that you need these clips . . which I found out the hard way. I hot-glue gunned mine in place at first until I realised that you had to order some extra clips . . .

Chris, is there a part number for these clips or where did you get them? My fascia doesn't have them and i'm concerned in case it pops out.

Deleted member 35811

Here's what Sere told me:

The correct trim is definitely 1P2858063N87 for aftermarket head units. All UK models up to MY 2010 have the N87 trim code (ona silver)
Clips 3B0867190 may also be required.

I presumme the clips are the same code.

mliley01

Nov 26, 2006
Solihull
Here's what Sere told me:

The correct trim is definitely 1P2858063N87 for aftermarket head units. All UK models up to MY 2010 have the N87 trim code (ona silver)

I thought trim code N87 was brilliant silver, and 47V was ona silver. I was told by the parts bloke at the dealers that ona silver was only on cars from 2005, and brilliant silver was since then.

Aug 11, 2008
Liverpool
I orderd the N87 one.. Will find out on Tuesday if its the right one for an FR! The parts guy asked if I needed clips for it anyway.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.