PCV removal - can this be done? YES! removed + catch tank fitted

VIKINGODIN

Oct 19, 2009
south wales
Pcv valve

Like a musroom with anothr stalk on its underside that connects to the y shape breather pip on crankcase?I thought that was a breather tank?But thanks man,Much appreciated :D

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
Here's mine:

01112009420.jpg

I adapted the relay box, moved them out of the way then used the relay box to make a bracket.

I removed the PCV system last weekend and fitted the catch tank. It took me most of saturday and I finished it off sunday afternoon. I took my time and didn't force any thing, but now I've done the mod I think I could do it in half the time.

Some pic's:

1yvhxw.jpg

Both looking good, Here's mine.

4330495332_15c0534b60_b.jpg

As mentioned earlier it needs to go back to the tip not vta.

Nov 29, 2007
Mansfield, Notts
I think this is one of the best mods I've done. Removing the spider of pipes that form part of the PCV has solved loads of my running issues.

The only thing is in this cold weather the tank fills up quite quickly and about once a month I'm emptying it. In the summer (or at least when it warms up) I plan on re-working pipes.

Jul 29, 2006
cumbria
www.facebook.com
Right guys,i think i follow this,just want to clarify one thing,the pipe running from your catch tank,that needs plumbed back into the TIP,am i right (probably not) in thinking that it would go into the port in the TIP which previously held the PCV valve(the black mushroom shaped one)

Nov 29, 2007
Mansfield, Notts
You can leave the black plastic connection on the TIP in place. PCV (positive crank ventilation) issues are due to the spider of pipes under the inlet manifold letting go, or leaky Y-breather.

I think the ideal solution is to vent to air so no moisture is pull back through the turbo.

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
I read an artical on Wikki about PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation); I know Wikki can be a bit dodgy but it does seem like a decent explination.

It is there to assist in crankcase pressure escape - but as long you vent it back into the TIP when the engine is under load it will be fine. The vac to the inlet manifold opens the valve fully to allow free flow under load. So removing it and going straight to the catch tank and then to the TIP should be fine.

As mentioned earlier, Venting to air will cause problems, if the catch tank is working properly nothing will end up back in the system.

Nov 29, 2007
Mansfield, Notts
As mentioned earlier, Venting to air will cause problems, if the catch tank is working properly nothing will end up back in the system.

Since that posting I've been looking at other vag owner solutions and installs for the catch tank. Although not common place some have vented to road/air. I fairly sure DPJ has his venting to road/air.

...but not to bothered because my car is still running sweet and my setup must be working because I'm getting a fiarly decent amount of oily water in the catch tank.

Vaughny

Mar 3, 2009
Gravesend, Kent
Where you are talking about the black plastic connection, do you mean the accumulator valve attached to the TIP. As the PCV valve is on the lower breather pipe from what I can see.

And did you leave the accumulator valve on or take it off?

Nov 29, 2007
Mansfield, Notts
I have left the accumulator value on the TIP in place because I struggled to get a suitable connector. So my setup has every thing removed apart from the plastics bend out of the crankcase and the accumulator on the TIP.

Nov 29, 2007
Mansfield, Notts
Cool. What size bolt did you use to block the brake pipe?

not sure mate. I went round a mates house and looked to an odds-n-sods draw in his workshop and found it for me. I can undo it and measure it if you want? I think its about 1/2 inch.

In the summer I going to replace the pipe with a slicon one.

Jul 29, 2006
cumbria
www.facebook.com
1yvhxw.jpg

I understand this part.........
1. tee off from crankcase,one end to catch tank,one to the pipe that goes down,and last pipe to the catch tank.
2. pipe from other port on catch tank straight into accumulator valve that sits on top of the TIP
but where is this brake pipe that needs blanking off:confused:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.