petrol cupra and fr manifold bolts.

have read on here a while ago that the manifold bolts come loose.
im just wondering if mine have come loose.
i had a forge tip fitted last week so it might just be a new sound im experiencing but underload going up hill in say fourth or fifth at 30 to 40 mph i get what sounds like a blowing sound or a kind of hissing sound its hard to explain.
it might just be that i have an open cone filter and forge intake pipe :blahblah:

anyway now ive finished waffling on im wondering has anybody had this happen on there petrol cupras or frs and at what mileage also whats the tell tail sign without checking the nuts??

EB20VT

Feb 5, 2005
West Yorkshire
Loose manifold bolts make quite a distinctive sound, like a really loud rasping noise when under load. They came loose on mine after about 30k. On mine though it wasn't until the engine had warmed up then it started. I'm pretty sure that they were only hand tight when it was sorted under warranty.

Loose manifold bolts make quite a distinctive sound, like a really loud rasping noise when under load. They came loose on mine after about 30k. On mine though it wasn't until the engine had warmed up then it started. I'm pretty sure that they were only hand tight when it was sorted under warranty.

when you say distinctive is it a loud sound? do you know straight away?
mine has done just over 18k i cant imagine mine have come loose but im intrested to gather up a bit of info on the topic for future reference.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
When I had my old mk4 FR petrol I read about these bolts and thought I would have a look. I didn't have any noise but I had a free day and I was twiddling my thumbs at home.

I found 3 loose bolts even though I had no nasty noises :shrug: tightened them up and there was no difference.

When I had my old mk4 FR petrol I read about these bolts and thought I would have a look. I didn't have any noise but I had a free day and I was twiddling my thumbs at home.

I found 3 loose bolts even though I had no nasty noises :shrug: tightened them up and there was no difference.

any idea how many miles it had done at the time of tightening them?
always best to tighten them as they would have probally got so loose they come off.

your old ibiza still hasnt been sold by bartletts yet from what i saw in the weekday.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
any idea how many miles it had done at the time of tightening them?
always best to tighten them as they would have probally got so loose they come off.

your old ibiza still hasnt been sold by bartletts yet from what i saw in the weekday.

I tightened them at about 18k, that car only ever did short trips about 10 miles at a time with the odd long trip every 6 months of about 100 miles.

It only has about 19.5k on the clock now and nobody wants it..................... Probably the wrong fuel in the tank.

EB20VT

Feb 5, 2005
West Yorkshire
when you say distinctive is it a loud sound? do you know straight away?
mine has done just over 18k i cant imagine mine have come loose but im intrested to gather up a bit of info on the topic for future reference.

You'll know about it if it is the manifold bolts its a loud, raspy, screeching noise. The turbo is quite easily accessible from under the car so it shouldn't be too hard to check.