Platinum Grey Leon FR TDI Hybrid - The End!

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Not fancying the coupe? Or is this more of a nod towards sensible family car?
The proportions of the "normal" coupe are all wrong in my opinion. The rear doesn't sit on the rear axel well at all. Instead of BMW making the rear end low and wide like they did with the M3 it feels like they just made it longer and thinner. This makes the interior feel a lot smaller than the Saloon and for my Mrs to noticed it (she is 5"1) it must be small. It is almost impossible for a full grown adult to get into the back because of the low roof line and when you do fall in the back you definitely cannot fit 4 full sized adults without them being really squeezed in. I prefer the touring car look the 4 door has over the coupe. Spent hours looking at both to make a decision, think the BMW lot got bored of me lol.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
End is near...

The end is near unfortunately. I have been at BMW today and done the deal to seal the purchase of a Black 335D (not sure I am ready for a black car with my detailing complex). The Leon will be traded in as they gave me a decent offer or rather one I was expecting however this was compensated with discount on the car so everything evened itself out.

The trip back was a wonderful one in the Leon and must admit I did feel really sad that she is going. Amazing car and one I will miss no doubt. DK, Tom and Slick are coming Thursday to take bits off the car before she goes to BMW. As least some of my car will live on in others.

Not really sure if I should start a new build thread but will certainly be sticking around, too many friends on here!. Dont really plan to mod the car but may do a few bits so might start one for old times sake. Picking her up hopefully on Sunday so let the sleepless nights begin.

cav

Nov 23, 2006
Wirral
Can't believe I missed out on this beast.

Are you sure I can't tempt you to sell it to me this Saturday?

Good luck with the new BMW anyway Maz, I'm driving an e60 530d at the moment ant that shifts. Can't imagine how well the 35d performs.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Can't believe I missed out on this beast.

Are you sure I can't tempt you to sell it to me this Saturday?

Good luck with the new BMW anyway Maz, I'm driving an e60 530d at the moment ant that shifts. Can't imagine how well the 35d performs.
I do apologise Cav. Thing is I am really busy from now to the weekend and I dont think you would want to buy a car blind. As my car is ready on the weekend it would be impossible to make a deal in such short space of time.

cav

Nov 23, 2006
Wirral
I spent hours reading your thread, must have been over it 3 times! I knew I wouldnt have a chance to view it then make a decision that's what's taken me so long. Judging by your excellent build thread I have no reason to believe the car is not in the excellent condition it is described. You sure you don't want a relaxing day on Thursday and sell the car to me on Saturday as is?;)

S.E.C.T.

kiss my face
Jun 14, 2009
The North
Not really sure if I should start a new build thread but will certainly be sticking around, too many friends on here!. Dont really plan to mod the car but may do a few bits so might start one for old times sake. Picking her up hopefully on Sunday so let the sleepless nights begin.

Bollocks to that, we want pics!

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
It's a shame your selling on but progress comes to all.
If I didn't have the Leon as a track car I would have moved on too.
I do like the idea of the BMW and the specs and the performance potential are great.
BUT
For me the BMW just doesn't have the visual appeal. It is a good looking car and it does look good.
Your Leon looked great and special. It had the ability to stand out from a crowd.
Not too sure the BMW ticks these boxes too, but perhaps that's a signature of BMW and growing up.

I'm sure you will put your personal stamp on this car as you have on the Leon.

Once you go black you'll never go back!!

For me there is only one car colour.
When you've worked your magic on this you will fall in love with black too.

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions

I wouldn't recommend black to anyone (due to its constant demands). However if anyone can look after it, for me Maz is probably one of the most qualified.

All I can say is good luck and I hope that it meets up to your expectations.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Nice one Maz. All good things have to come to an end, but at least you get to move into something else that aint too shabby either!!
Thanks Andy. Thanks for all your advise in regards to M3.

Bollocks to that, we want pics!
Ok ok :)

It's a shame your selling on but progress comes to all.
If I didn't have the Leon as a track car I would have moved on too.
I do like the idea of the BMW and the specs and the performance potential are great.
BUT
For me the BMW just doesn't have the visual appeal. It is a good looking car and it does look good.
Your Leon looked great and special. It had the ability to stand out from a crowd.
Not too sure the BMW ticks these boxes too, but perhaps that's a signature of BMW and growing up.

I'm sure you will put your personal stamp on this car as you have on the Leon.

Once you go black you'll never go back!!

For me there is only one car colour.
Thanks Willie. I considered a lot of options and scenarios before I made my mind up to change. Ultimately I am happy with the car I have ended up with (so far). Black will look lovely once detailed and I am sure I will keep up with it but there is no doubt it will be very difficult.

Once Maz has detailed it we'll sort out a photoshoot ;)
:)

I wouldn't recommend black to anyone (due to its constant demands). However if anyone can look after it, for me Maz is probably one of the most qualified.

All I can say is good luck and I hope that it meets up to your expectations.
Thanks Lee.

It's a shame to hear this Maz but like me, it all comes to an end eventually. Welcome to the BMW club...now lets see who can make their 335 faster, once again petrol vs diesel ;).
I think it will never go past a remap. Not going to touch it engine wise (famous last words).

4937Liam

Jan 12, 2010
Lakenheath, Suffolk.
A sad end to in my opinion the best TDi on here (Lets hope and prey whoever gets it next looks after it)! - Black cars are simply awesome if they are looked after properly so good luck with the new car mate I look forward to some fresh pics of the 335d.

Liam.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I took off the r32 wheel today ready to go to its new owner (they will love it as its one of best steering wheels I ever imo). The standard steering wheel feels so skinny and pants in comparison :(

A sad end to in my opinion the best TDi on here (Lets hope and prey whoever gets it next looks after it)! - Black cars are simply awesome if they are looked after properly so good luck with the new car mate I look forward to some fresh pics of the 335d.

Liam.
I know mate and the car is running sweet as at the moment. Certain parts of being taken off now before she is traded in but the core parts will remain. The auction house/buyer will have no idea what they are getting till they see the receipts in the folder that will go with it. btw do you want a ported pd150 cylinder head? :)

scottym

Diesel Powered
Sep 19, 2007
Ashford, KENT
Just spent a whole 2 hours reading this thread.

I am envious, and sad that you have moved on, and also annoyed that I didnt see the for sale thread due to lack of visiting the site in a while! I would have scrapped all of my mod plans and bought this at the drop of a hat!

The dealer that took part-x, will they be selling the leon from their forecourt? How does it stand at the moment on the line of mods etc etc?

Can you let me know, I would like to try and get up there to take a look at it once they take part-x and maybe sort some finances to buy the leon, and keep it in the SCN community!

Scott

Last edited:

Danzibar9

DERV POWER
Jan 8, 2008
South Oxfordshire
Maz i know i didn't know you. I bought your Milltek. I have just had it fitted (finally) and wow. Thanks very much. Hope your build thread stays up for a while as it is a useful source of information. (just wish i had the chance to buy other bits off you).

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.