Platinum Grey Leon FR TDI Hybrid - The End!

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
congrats maz

perhaps when they do the review , you could state the lack of help from the tuning world to help out the diesel scene , i,e forge & Ic pipework etc

perhaps , the companies then will see theres interest there not just from 1 site etc

let us know

i also replied in marks thread on my **** list :) :(

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
congrats maz

perhaps when they do the review , you could state the lack of help from the tuning world to help out the diesel scene , i,e forge & Ic pipework etc

perhaps , the companies then will see theres interest there not just from 1 site etc

let us know

i also replied in marks thread on my **** list :) :(
Yea - they havent got back to me since the phone call but the weather doesnt make for a good shoot/feature so will ring when its all calmed down. Maybe next year now but it should happen.

Now these figures I want to see!!! :p
Me too :)

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
General Update

My spare wheel has been refurbished so will replace the front drivers side wheel which is a tad poorly round the wheel cap lacquer wise.

Front 2 falkens are nearing end of there life 3 or 4 mm of tread left so next month or two will get 2 new Toyo T1Rs. Looking forward to trying these out and giving a little review on them.

Going to H&S after I pickup spare wheel to track down this exhaust vibration as its driving me insane.

Ordered replacement machine polishers - two to be exact. Elitecarcare done me a good deal on these.

n11tht

Mar 17, 2009
under the bonnet
General Update
Front 2 falkens are nearing end of there life 3 or 4 mm of tread left so next month or two will get 2 new Toyo T1Rs. Looking forward to trying these out and giving a little review on them.

Firstly Maz love the car, if i had the money to throw at mine i'd be following in your footsteps.

Secondly ive got T1Rs on mine although only 17s and have t say they are fantastic. really good in the wet and in the snow there not to bad.

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
General Update

Going to H&S after I pickup spare wheel to track down this exhaust vibration as its driving me insane.

You sure it's from the exhaust? I had a bad vibration which was caused by resonance in the intercooler piping. Some rubber grommets between the h&s bolts sorted it.

If the noise happens on rev (while car is at a stop, mine happened between 2 and 3k), get a mate to touch/hold parts of the intercooler piping from the engine bay. When he/she touches the right part the sound will go away. ( well hopefully )

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Firstly Maz love the car, if i had the money to throw at mine i'd be following in your footsteps.

Secondly ive got T1Rs on mine although only 17s and have t say they are fantastic. really good in the wet and in the snow there not to bad.
Thanks for the nice comment.

I got them on the rear currently and was just waiting for the falkens to finish before getting my next lot. Slick has them on his and they work amazingly well. Wet performance has always been a question mark, the regular users say their wet performance is just as good as the other top brands, others say they are worse.

Maybe t1r users can comment?

You sure it's from the exhaust? I had a bad vibration which was caused by resonance in the intercooler piping. Some rubber grommets between the h&s bolts sorted it.

If the noise happens on rev (while car is at a stop, mine happened between 2 and 3k), get a mate to touch/hold parts of the intercooler piping from the engine bay. When he/she touches the right part the sound will go away. ( well hopefully )
Yea cause even on idle you can hear it in that area coming around from the rear box. It is unlike any other vibration I ever had in the engine bay.

Staszek20vt

Aug 19, 2009
PL/BE
www.leonclub.pl
Thanks for the nice comment.

Yea cause even on idle you can hear it in that area coming around from the rear box. It is unlike any other vibration I ever had in the engine bay.

Maz, check this piece of exhaust which is above the rear axle. Your car is lowered and probably this is the vibration is coming from. Go under your car and listen where it's coming from.

Oh, and I'm sorry about your stuff... :(

Are you planning your trip to Europe? ;)

Staszek20vt

Aug 19, 2009
PL/BE
www.leonclub.pl
And BTW,

after you have changed the DP and exhaust system you need to do correction on the program or you will need to adjust this screw near the turbo. (I don't know how it is called in English - actuator?) New exhaust causes this engine light. Check logs for overboost.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Maz, check this piece of exhaust which is above the rear axle. Your car is lowered and probably this is the vibration is coming from. Go under your car and listen where it's coming from.

Oh, and I'm sorry about your stuff... :(

Are you planning your trip to Europe? ;)
Hi Stan :) yea we have and its not that touching. Thats why I think its the baffle in the rear box.

And BTW,

after you have changed the DP and exhaust system you need to do correction on the program or you will need to adjust this screw near the turbo. (I don't know how it is called in English - actuator?) New exhaust causes this engine light. Check logs for overboost.
Not sure why boost levels would change with a bigger exhaust Stan? Actuator may need a little tweaking as I havent done logs since the last tweak (lazy). Got any info on it?

Oh and dont you dare sell your Leon!

Staszek20vt

Aug 19, 2009
PL/BE
www.leonclub.pl
Not sure why boost levels would change with a bigger exhaust Stan? Actuator may need a little tweaking as I havent done logs since the last tweak (lazy). Got any info on it?

Oh and dont you dare sell your Leon!

Well Maz,

I can't explain this in good English but I know that it matters. I will talk to my guys and I wlii let you know exactly. Do logs it will help you - really :)

I going to sell him, because like I told you I'm after A4 B7 3.0TDI Quattro S-line (285HP and 546Nm of torque - chipped only) :D:D:D

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Well Maz,

I can't explain this in good English but I know that it matters. I will talk to my guys and I wlii let you know exactly. Do logs it will help you - really :)

I going to sell him, because like I told you I'm after A4 B7 3.0TDI Quattro S-line (285HP and 546Nm of torque - chipped only) :D:D:D
Cool - interested in what they say.

Boo - keep the Leon.

greesha

Leon 1.8T on steroids
Jan 6, 2009
Slough
If i remember correctly when you have a bigger better flowing exhaust that causes no restrictions in exhaust system then turbo spools up easier and quicker causing boost spikes because gases are flowing much easier. Something connected with the backpressure. Im not sure if that is correct so dont quote me on that. Its just a suggestion maybe for others who know better :) ..

Last edited:

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
3" DP and Rear Brakes Update

Gave the car some stick today and didnt get any MAF errors coming up so seems a one off. Done a good 2.5 hours of motorway driving and motorway performance is awesome now with the new DP. 5th and 6th gear seem to have a lot more torque and many of the rude cars trying to tailgate couldnt keep up with a blip of the throttle.

Brakes have bedded in fully finally. Note to anyone who ever got used discs and pads even if they are nearly new, it takes a while to bed in. There is a definate improvement over the OEM cupra setup. I would say that as the rear brakes bite better and actually help stop the car, the front brakes have less work to do and become more efficient. Car stops much more level now and seems to stop a quicker as a result. A must upgrade to aid anyone who doesnt want to go further than their 312mm setup.

EDIT: forgot to say some cheeky sod stole one of one pictures for their ebay listing. Thanks to Bobby the SCN member who gave me the heads up!

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise