Power loss mk1 leon

DOUGIE.K

Oct 16, 2008
FIFE,SCOTLAND
Hi

I have a Leon FR 180 Petrol. While I am driving the car it will lose power. There is no warning lights and no throttle response. This will only happen for a few seconds and & then kicks in again. It is a intermittent fault but I have never come across this before. Can anyone help.

Thanks Dougie

danny20vt

going back to basics
It could be a couple of different things but if it sounds rough when you lose the power its more than likely a coil pack if not then I would say its your MAF that's on its way out but first of all check all your hoses for splits as this was the cause of my power loss which was as you describe but everything pointed to the MAF.

Seat Gooner

A.K.A Mark
Feb 28, 2009
Wisbech
mass airflow metre if you look under the bonnet to the top right you will see your airbox look at the plug sticking out of the pipe and thats the MAF

Last edited:

DOUGIE.K

Oct 16, 2008
FIFE,SCOTLAND
Hi, got a computer hooked up to car today but no further forward, no faults showed up, boost pressure fine, maf fine, turbo fine & no split hoses, been told it might be a loose electrical connection, can anyone help??
Cheers

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
Hi, got a computer hooked up to car today but no further forward, no faults showed up, boost pressure fine, maf fine, turbo fine & no split hoses, been told it might be a loose electrical connection, can anyone help??
Cheers

Have you actually logged the MAF?

Just saying its fine from looking at fault codes isnt enough :)

jamiebennett81

hmmmm

I personally would not say its coil packs, if there are no error codes or no stuttering, and I have never known a MAF to cause hesitation in boost, just a loss in power ALL the time

if you are loosing power, or if I translate it right, you are getting a "hesitation" in boost, correct?

this was an issue on mine. A well known cause is the intake hose onto the inlet manifold. Once these get very old, they are prone to collapsing.

So, you put your foot down for power....the hose collapses, causing the hesitation and lack in power, then goes back to its normal shape, and boost is restored

what year is your FR and how many miles? have a look at the intake pipe and squeeze it to see if it is mushy or collapses easliy

Also another point to check is your DV? what DV are you running and when was it last serviced? if it has not been serviced for a while it could be sticking, again causing a hesitation in boost. If it's the standard Bosch unit on your FR, then get rid. These are prone to failure. Forge do a nice simple upgrade for around £80-90 for a 007P recirculating DV

let us know...

greesha

Leon 1.8T on steroids
Jan 6, 2009
Slough
I have a flat spot at around 3k rpm. Seems like boost is going down and then back up again. Can this be related to this pipe leading to inlet manifold? Jamie have you used genuine hose or is there some silicone replacement available?

DOUGIE.K

Oct 16, 2008
FIFE,SCOTLAND
Hi Jamie thanks for the info mate, its a 55 plate 36k on the clock & its got the standard dv, i was going to upgrade the dv so i will look into the one you are suggesting. the performance center got back to me today they found a fault in a brake sensor, he says that is more than likely the prob as the sensor tells the engin that brakes are not working & cuts power at throttle, been out in car & seems to be ok fingers crossed.
cheers

jamiebennett81

I have a flat spot at around 3k rpm. Seems like boost is going down and then back up again. Can this be related to this pipe leading to inlet manifold? Jamie have you used genuine hose or is there some silicone replacement available?

blimey hello stranger! Where you been?

Your symptoms sound exactly like mine, flat spot and a lack power at low revs! Make up the pipes from a set of updated pipes from the forge website or similar supplier who provide proper silicon hoses. That should sort it

what happ to the karting as I was thinking about it the other day

Hi Jamie thanks for the info mate, its a 55 plate 36k on the clock & its got the standard dv, i was going to upgrade the dv so i will look into the one you are suggesting. the performance center got back to me today they found a fault in a brake sensor, he says that is more than likely the prob as the sensor tells the engin that brakes are not working & cuts power at throttle, been out in car & seems to be ok fingers crossed.
cheers

Ah ok cool mate. If it's the brake sensor does the tcs light not come on? Either way get the dv changed, you will notice a nice difference as it's recirculating it reduces lag andhelps spool of the turbo quicker on and off power between gears

greesha

Leon 1.8T on steroids
Jan 6, 2009
Slough
Thanks for the answer :).

I can sort out another karting event if there will be interest - in best price available of course :). They have recenlty changed track layout and its supposed to be much more demanding now. We shall see ;p .

I will put a topic in events in fe wminutes to check if we will have around 10 ppl to go :p

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.