Power loss Problems with 2001 LEON SE TDi

Rizwan.Din

Hi All

I purchased my Leon about 3 months ago and its been great:D

However, Now iv got some problems.

The first main problem is the power loss. I took it on the Dual Carriage way the other day and as soon as it 75mph, power went (as in the car stopped picking up speed). My foot was flat on the floor but still nothing. I stopped at the services and gave the car a couple of minutes and tried again but still the same. No Idea what it could be.

Secondly, I have to top up the Coolant reservoir at least once a week. I thought it might be a leak so I left the car running placed card board underneath but I could not see any leaks.

And finally when I am driving second or third gear for a long period of time, it starts to misfire.

Any ideas or resolutions would be deeply appreciated.

Thank you

Regards

Riz

Rizwan.Din

PLEASE HELP!!!!! Problems with 2001 LEON SE TDi

Hi All

I purchased my Leon 1.9 SE TDi about 3 months ago and its been great:D

However, Now iv got some problems.

The first main problem is the power loss. I took it on the Dual Carriage way the other day and as soon as it 75mph, power went (as in the car stopped picking up speed). My foot was flat on the floor but still nothing. I stopped at the services and gave the car a couple of minutes and tried again but still the same. No Idea what it could be.

Secondly, I have to top up the Coolant reservoir at least once a week. I thought it might be a leak so I left the car running placed card board underneath but I could not see any leaks.

And finally when I am driving second or third gear for a long period of time, it starts to misfire.

Any ideas or resolutions would be deeply appreciated.

Thank you

Regards

Riz

Rizwan.Din

No errors

The Airbag light on thats was when i purchased the car

Rizwan.Din

Its more like a judder.

I happens for a second then stops

brad1

Its more like a judder.

I happens for a second then stops

I had judders before on my standard turbo and eventually one day it just went dead, no power etc, a new maf sorted that out

Last edited by a moderator:

MATTCR

FR
Mar 6, 2007
UK
I will reply to you as im not sure people reply in help threads ( at least not mine )

Sounds like you have a few problems!

First one, not sure. Maybe needs the injectors replacing? (that may help no. 3 too) Maybe needs glow plugs replacing?

Coolant - last time on my old car I had coolant leak the head was cracked. Hopefully its not that.

Rizwan.Din

I had judders before on my standard turbo and eventually one day it just went dead, no power etc, a new maf sorted that out

Great my friend.

I'll give that a go over the weekend and let you know the progress.

Any ideas on the water leak?????

Rizwan.Din

I will reply to you as im not sure people reply in help threads ( at least not mine )

Sounds like you have a few problems!

First one, not sure. Maybe needs the injectors replacing? (that may help no. 3 too) Maybe needs glow plugs replacing?

Coolant - last time on my old car I had coolant leak the head was cracked. Hopefully its not that.

I hope it not the head too :(

you said the injestors may need changing?? Please forgive me but im not very machanic minded. Which injectors??????

kamalahmed1

hi mate just thought id give you some adive. i use to have a seat leon mark 1 cupra. i had problems with the power output and was loosing speed. most likely its the MAF. it may have a had a build up of carbon arround the valve flap. what you would need to do is to turn engine off and undo the battery. take the MAF off and get some electrical fluid from maplins bout 1 litre. submerge it in there and leave for couple of hours. remove clean and dry. use your finger and open and close the flap hopefully it woul be more better.
other reason why it my not give output is if the engine is not as warm. ideally i use to allow the engine to warm up befor driving. it may seem like a waste of time but its 1 way of ensuring your engine stays healthy.

Rizwan.Din

hi mate just thought id give you some adive. i use to have a seat leon mark 1 cupra. i had problems with the power output and was loosing speed. most likely its the MAF. it may have a had a build up of carbon arround the valve flap. what you would need to do is to turn engine off and undo the battery. take the MAF off and get some electrical fluid from maplins bout 1 litre. submerge it in there and leave for couple of hours. remove clean and dry. use your finger and open and close the flap hopefully it woul be more better.
other reason why it my not give output is if the engine is not as warm. ideally i use to allow the engine to warm up befor driving. it may seem like a waste of time but its 1 way of ensuring your engine stays healthy.

Thank mate.

There are alot of this to consider with this car. I have had no time to check anything yet but got a couple of weeks of in the new year so iv got alot to keep me busy LOL

Thanks again

ToledoNorthEat

Richy - Full member
Dec 17, 2009
South Shields
Hi All

Riz

I had the same problem with my 02 Toledo 1.9 TDI SE, Not sure EXACTLY what it was but the dealer sent the turbo off to some refurbishing place in derby! It was back within 2 weeks and sweet at a nut!.

LaurenW

Hi
I've had the same problem since i'v owned the car. Seem to be when the engine is put under load at prelonged higher revs. (70ish mph) I had a temp sensor and a boost sensor replaced at a local garage which seem to make a difference but its returned again.

Its like it goes into a limp mode but no warning lights are displayed. A MAF fault sounds logical, i tried cleaning mine with alcohol spray but no joy.

Any more idea?

willives

Apr 20, 2008
Wiltshire or Spain
When I first got my Toledo it did this. First of all it was driving up hills it would lose all power, then it happened on a dual carriageway, foot to the floor and nothing.

It was the sticking veins in the turbo. I gave it a good thrashing for a few days, and it has not been a problem for nearly 2 years now.

I think the problem was that it was driven on motorways from Wiltshire to Manchester and back 6 days a week from new, so the engine was never really exercised properly.

Had a ton of crap come out of the exhaust as well, must have been fairly clogged up.

As regarding the coolant loss, any contamination of the oil/water, discolouration/bubbling of the coolant. Possibly dodgy coolant cap?

The judder is possibly the MAF. I would start there before the injectors, and the glow plugs are nothing to do with the running of the engine, only to start it when cold.

Dangler115

Same problem with my 2000 Toledo, changed all valves egr turbo solenoid etc but no change. Changed maf but no change. Computer showing too much speed boost so next thing is to hollow the cat out. If no improvment then will check wastegate turbo. Dwayne.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members