Power Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cryptedvibe

Apr 26, 2005
Hi Guys. I've got a 1998 Ibiza TDi 90 BHP. The car goes relly well but if i push it a bit and take it up to about 3750 revs it looses all power and wont accelerate again until I drop a gear and then its back. This seems really odd to me. Any one else had this problem?? :confused: It feels like the turbo cuts out, but it wont do anything until i drop a gear o wait untill the revs go back down to about 2500.

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
Prolly better move this to the tdi section,,,

Do you have vag com to check for faults?
does that in every gear?

It ain't limp mode,,,

If you got vag com [or can find someone with it to help you], prolly worth to check the N75 functionality and do some maf reading,,,

Cryptedvibe

Apr 26, 2005
Just moved it to the tdi section now, cheers. I'll try it without the box tomorrow, see if it does it without the box. I havent got a vag-com, where could i find one? Ye i does it in every gear. I realised erlier that the revs that i cuts out increases when I decrease the power the box gives.
Cheers

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
So I'd place my money on the box,,,

I'd say it's obviously something about too much fuel,,, you maxin out the injectors seems too much for just a box,,, but who knows?
Never heard of such a prob,,,

You can buy vag com online, go to the specific section, there's all the info you need in there,,, oh, you will need a cable too.
Maybe it's faster for you to find someone local with it.

sssstew

Editing your spelling
hmm, 3750rpm hmmm, and its a 90bhp TDI, so thats a fixed vane turbo. To me it sounds like its working ok, i wouldnt expect much more after 4krpm on a 90 TDI.

Ive driven a couple of 90s and its quite noticable when the power drops off, compared to the variable vane turbos fitted to the 110 onward TDIs.

It might be the sign of the MAF starting to fail if it starts to die at about 3000 or so, a good clean with some electronics cleaner and test run to see. IF you have access to VAG COM then you can log the block for the MAF to see if its dieing, do you have access?

johndow

May 20, 2005
N ireland
I used to have a tuning box on my 90bhp TDI golf. When i had it set quite high it would sometimes go into safe/limp mode around 3,500 - 4,000rpm. When this happened, the revs die and i have to wait a couple of seconds, drop gear and then it will reset itself.

It happens on colder mornings more frequently when the air is more dense.
Oh, and you don't have to put the boot to the board either. This will happen under normal acceleration.

JD

H & H 2.3

Jun 20, 2004
Newcastle
Cryptedvibe said:
Hi Guys. I've got a 1998 Ibiza TDi 90 BHP. The car goes relly well but if i push it a bit and take it up to about 3750 revs it looses all power and wont accelerate again until I drop a gear and then its back. This seems really odd to me. Any one else had this problem?? :confused: It feels like the turbo cuts out, but it wont do anything until i drop a gear o wait untill the revs go back down to about 2500.

This sounds exactly the as my 2000 Ibiza 1.9 TDi (90bhp). I haven't long had the car and it felt a bit flat when I bought it - there wasn't anything after 3000rpm and it really had to be pushed to get it going. Had the MAF changed and it's like a new car - pulls really well and torquey all the way through the revs.
Have you tried disconnecting the MAF to see if it still runs the same? If it does then that's your problem.

scottuk

Oct 29, 2006
same

This sounds exactly the as my 2000 Ibiza 1.9 TDi (90bhp). I haven't long had the car and it felt a bit flat when I bought it - there wasn't anything after 3000rpm and it really had to be pushed to get it going. Had the MAF changed and it's like a new car - pulls really well and torquey all the way through the revs.
Have you tried disconnecting the MAF to see if it still runs the same? If it does then that's your problem.

Hi mines just started doing the same.. whats the maf?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.