Power problem when turbo hits 0.5 bar please HELP

Random1989

FR MAD
Feb 9, 2010
cleckheaton
Please help me yesterday i replaced the the sparkplug with iridium plugs and i must have dispurbed something and now the car looses power and sounds very strange when you get near 1 bar boost :think: i replaced the vacuum valve and blow through it and it seemed to be working right to my knowledge of its workings is there anything else that could make this problem.

Last edited:

R1ch85

1/4mile - 13.935 @ 100.54
Nov 9, 2006
Bristol
Did you check the gaps on the spark plugs before fitting them? I've no idea what the proper gap should be, but if they're not right then your car won't run all that well.

Random1989

FR MAD
Feb 9, 2010
cleckheaton
went to check the n75 valve this morning a visual check really and i noticed the turbo side of the tip pipe wasnt on right the clip was on the pi ss looked at the other side and the pipe was only half on cause air to be sucked in by the boost and bypassing all the sensors and the filter, getting long nose pliers and putting it right! and then i'll let you know

Random1989

FR MAD
Feb 9, 2010
cleckheaton
Put the tip on properly and no change but i also tried disconnecting the plug going to the maf now i expected it to be totally messed up but it was the same do you think this means the maf isnt actually doing anything and is actually broken ?

R1ch85

Nov 9, 2006
Bristol
Well now you've checked for anything obvious, your best bet would be to get Vag-Com on your car and see if any fault codes are showing. This should give you an indication as to the problem. If you haven't got a copy of it yourself, post a thread in the Vag-Com forum and hopefully someone local to you can help you out for some beer tokens :)

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
Hi mate did the car run fine before you changed the plugs? Try the old ones back in?

R1ch85

Nov 9, 2006
Bristol
yeah i can see it going that way aswell how could i get vagcom myself is there a way without paying 200+

Theres a freeware version from ross-tech. You'll need to buy the correct cable, available from ebay for a tenner or so, can't remember. You don't get all features seen as its freeware, but it gives you the ability to scan for fault codes and do logs.

Random1989

FR MAD
Feb 9, 2010
cleckheaton
Bought a cable and downloaded the freeware lastnight thank you.

Change the plugs back i was thinking this on the way to work this morning i just dont see why they would be a problem though i have still got the old ones though so i might do to see what happens for the sake of 10 mins worth a shot eh.

Thanks lads i appreciate any help you can give me ;)

Yosh

Logical steps to try find the problemo:
1. Easiest: VAG-Com it...
2. Put old plugs back in...
3. Test N75: disconnect the plug going into it and run a log in VC: 003+115+118...If you are getting approx 0.35bar of boost (after ambient correction) then the N75 & wastegate are ok...
4. Plug N75 back in and run another log of 001+031+118 to check fuelling...
5. check 032 at idle to check fuel trims...

These should have helped eliminate most issues...Keep us posted bud

Random1989

FR MAD
Feb 9, 2010
cleckheaton
fixed the car and just let you know it was the sparkplugs i installed denso iridium power spark plugs only thing i can think of is that the new ones were pulling too much current from the coils and the ecu didnt like it.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise