Power Steering Issues?

chrisash32

Altea Driver
Oct 17, 2007
Hi everyone!
Just a quick one to see if anyone else has experienced any strange goings on with their power steering on their Altea???
I have a 2005 2.0 TDi Sport which i have had since October...

Now, i have found when i am steering the car at low speeds (less an 15mph) the power steering seems to intermittently pack up for a split second here and there..
For example, i can be pulling round to pull straight into my drive and as i turn, the steering will be fine, then all of a sudden it will go really really heavy (almost cannot turn the wheel, like its on full lock) and then after a split second it will release and i can continue to turn all the way to full lock in the same direction.

I must add that i never turn the wheel of the car when it is stationary (one of my pet hates!) and it only really seems to have started happening since it had the Twin Mass Flywheel sorted out on the recall.

Anyone else experienced this?
I think i might have to book her in for a check over.....

Many Thanks

Chris

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Does anyone ever find that sitting stationary there is a good bit of movement in the wheel without moving the wheels?

I havnt experienced the heavyness of the steering as you have but having problems with alignment and only thing i'm thinking of now is the steering.

Tabintab

Sep 15, 2006
Peterborough
Hi everyone!
Just a quick one to see if anyone else has experienced any strange goings on with their power steering on their Altea???
I have a 2005 2.0 TDi Sport which i have had since October...

Now, i have found when i am steering the car at low speeds (less an 15mph) the power steering seems to intermittently pack up for a split second here and there..
For example, i can be pulling round to pull straight into my drive and as i turn, the steering will be fine, then all of a sudden it will go really really heavy (almost cannot turn the wheel, like its on full lock) and then after a split second it will release and i can continue to turn all the way to full lock in the same direction.

I must add that i never turn the wheel of the car when it is stationary (one of my pet hates!) and it only really seems to have started happening since it had the Twin Mass Flywheel sorted out on the recall.

Anyone else experienced this?
I think i might have to book her in for a check over.....

Many Thanks

Chris

Never had this intermittent problem when i owned the exact same spec car, though i did find stearing heavy if i moved stearing wheel quickly when only just started engine & needed to get a move on, if u get my drift.

Tab

Tabintab

Sep 15, 2006
Peterborough
Does anyone ever find that sitting stationary there is a good bit of movement in the wheel without moving the wheels?

I havnt experienced the heavyness of the steering as you have but having problems with alignment and only thing i'm thinking of now is the steering.

No movement in mine at all, stearing always very positive & sharp.

Tab

Wilkip

Sep 14, 2006
I have had this last year !
Went to SEAT dealer and they replaced the steering rack !!!
The steering has been great although still feeling abit heavy at low speeds !

Get it checked out by the dealer !
I think this may have been a recall ? not sure though !!!!!

chrisash32

Altea Driver
Oct 17, 2007
Thanks for the prompt response guys! i didn't realise there were so many Altea owners on here!

(I did want to start my own UK Altea forum :p)

Right.... seems an odd one! but i am glad someone else has experienced it.
I have noticed that the steering wheel is not straight when i am driving in a straight line, its turning slightly to the left (although it does drive in a straight line just fine!)

Looks like i had best get the car booked in before the warranty expires!
Not that long left to go on it!

Other than that its a perfect car and i cannot wait to drive it to Germany in March!

Chris

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
No movement in mine at all, stearing always very positive & sharp.

Tab

I find i can move the whel and it feels very free doing so. Movement is approx. 1/8th turn each way without moving the wheels. Motorway speeds seem a bit hairy on it at times, always correcting direction. Could be something to do with the movment.

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Side wind is a problem, i have a Toledo so a big arse to catch the wind too:lol:

Had steering arms replaced not long ago and the knocking when moving the wheel has gone but the innaccuracy floating feeling still there.

chrisash32

Altea Driver
Oct 17, 2007
i sometimes feel a little unstable on the motorway, but i can forgive it, its such a nice car / taxi / van!! lol

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.