Power Steering light

Jul 12, 2009
London
www.flickr.com
Just driving into work this morning, then without warning the power steering light came on, thought it may just be a faulty sensor as the steering felt fine. However when I got into town the steering did feel heavy.

Not had chance to look under the bonnet but at a guess i'd go with either fluid levels or maybe the pump? The light of the dash with a steering wheel and an exclamation mark is showing...

The car does need a 90,000 service in around 2000 miles as well.

Jul 23, 2008
Manchester - UNITED
Look under the car at the front coming off the starter motor i think, there is a little black plug and the wires break out of it. They are coloured so just solder them back together. I would recomend lengthening them at the same time so they dont pull and break again.
This is what it was on mine anyway.

Jul 23, 2008
Manchester - UNITED
Yeah same fix or it was for mine anyway.
Its part of the charging system for the battery. It wont charge properly if this wire is broken so as you drive along your electrical systems fail.
This was the problem on mine anyway.

Mal

I've had problems with mine on occassion. Its generally on start up though, especially if its cold. I'd say it happens 4/5 times a year. If I don't notice the steering light immediately it takes a few mins for the steering to go heavy.

If i switch the ignition off and on again, it goes back to normal and light goes off. I asked the garage to take a look but typically nothing showed up that day & they couldn't find anything. Mine appears to be an electrical glitch.

I found I could drive mine but at low speeds without the power steering was a mission to park. In fact it felt worse than a car without power steering.

If your light has stayed on obviously its a completely different matter.

Jul 23, 2008
Manchester - UNITED
Mal: your problem is definatly that!

dervpower: Mine once cut out all the electrics and locked the doors at night goin rather fast on some country roads and all of a sudden no lights or power steering! Scary stuff!

Only had a problem with it during cold weather but it was annoying me not being 100% confident in the car so i just fixed it. Took 20mins to do it properly.

Jul 23, 2008
Manchester - UNITED
Yeah mine only struggled when it was really cold like if it had been stood for a few days in the snow or whatever then it was fine all through the summer.
Its such an easy fix just have look for it honestly it might save your life.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.