Power Steering Pump / Oil + others

crashpolo

Hi

Ok so I havent been here in ages so a few questions for you guys ...

1. I think my power steering pump needs topping up wth oil - how the hell do I get the cap off ?

2. Coolant (pink stuff ) seems to be running low sign of an issue ?

3. Its off for a service this week ... its done 73K FSH do I need the timing belt or cam belt doing ? I dont know if its been done already ?

1.9TDI SE Leon (52)

Cheers
G

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
Hi

Ok so I havent been here in ages so a few questions for you guys ...

1. I think my power steering pump needs topping up wth oil - how the hell do I get the cap off ?

2. Coolant (pink stuff ) seems to be running low sign of an issue ?

3. Its off for a service this week ... its done 73K FSH do I need the timing belt or cam belt doing ? I dont know if its been done already ?

1.9TDI SE Leon (52)

Cheers
G

1. Large flat headed screwdriver. There is a dipstick inside the cap.
2. There is a min/max line on the header tank - it looks low when its not. If you are loosing some where you park your car for drips. Could be a hose needing tightening or water pump gasket.
3. Cambelt every 4years or 60k (whichever comes sooner). If you are not sure if it has been done before, get it done to be safe, the expense of a cambelt snapping is not worth the risk

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
I cut a piece of 3mm thick perspex and rounded the end it fits perfectly in the slot.
I was recommended the vw hydraulic and power steering oil for mine its got a green lid cant remember the part number its on the shelf in all vag dealerships.
Top the system up to the max mark on dipstick when the system is cold.

Cam belt 4 years or 60,000 miles as mentioned

crashpolo

Cheers guys ill try and open it up when its cold

Havent noticed any drips but ill check again...can you buy the fluid ?

Ill get it changed then the cam belt that is or do I need them both doing
Are they expensive to get done when its in for a service ?

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
cambelt + waterpump are normally done together. They cost around £250 on the cupra r (fitted), but not sure about the diesels.

Coolant is just a mix of antifreeze and water. Halfords sell premixed stuff to make things easy:)

crashpolo

Thanks guys a normal service is gonna set me back £140 for the diesel..i dunno if thats a tad expensive

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
oil+filters service should be about £100. Try a skoda garage.. they are cheaper than seat :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members