power steering resevoir

Bush020773

hi,

I have a mk4, 53plate, and the power steering light seems to come on when its cold and then go of when it warms up and i wanted to check the fluid level in the resevoir but i cant find where it is and there is no indication in the manual either, please can anybody help?

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
The power steering reservoir is located between the passenger side headlight and the battery (it's a round green cap). It's quite far down and is a right pain to undo unless you have really skinny arms!

jack_FR

I went to check mine the other day and was like :S hmm i really dont think my arms are going to fit down there!!!

Mar 16, 2008
Wiltshire / Bristol
how did the HID fitting go? dd you hide all of the wiring etc?

Yep, all hidden behind the bumper. Was a bit of a pain fitting the balasts, as I did high and low beam. The only bit you can see are the wires coming out the back of the covers as I used a HIDs4u kit which comes with gromets in so you place them at the back of the cover. Still, you wouldnt see them if you wernt looking for them.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Ah, the joys of running a petrol engine car, you can actually see the cap - my problem is seeking permission from the spiders that live down there before trying to get the cap off, after I had tightened it up too much first time that I checked it, I seem to remember needing to force an old radiator hose over the cap to give me enough grip - and height to get it off!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
hi,

I have a mk4, 53plate, and the power steering light seems to come on when its cold and then go of when it warms up and i wanted to check the fluid level in the resevoir but i cant find where it is and there is no indication in the manual either, please can anybody help?

I would think that your problem is not fluid level - as these systems should not "use" fluid unless a pipe is leaking or the steering rack seals are u/s. I'd reckon that either your battery is "not too good", or its the type of use the car is put to, ie short "hours of darkness" journeys, or the charging system is weak due to a weak alternator or a broken sense wire. Is your car TDI ? If so it could be the broken wire problem. One final thing, do you park with the wheels "ahead" and if so do you wait until the engine is charging before you demand lots of electrical power - ie lights heated + rear window + heater fan. These electic steering systems need a lot of power to run.

Bush020773

hi,

thanks for all your help, it turns out that the powersteering resevior is very low, i am not sure what fluid to use i have some Halfords GM6137M DII Fluid 1L which i used in my old peugeot any idea's as to the right fluid to use and can i use the halfords fluid?

Also in answer to rum4mo your right i have had a lot of trouble with my battery lately always when its cold i have tried a garage to get a new battery but he tested it and said the battery and alternator are working fine you dont need a new battery admitedly i do very short journeys to and from work bout a mile and half and in the dark and i would say that since christmas i have had to jump start it at least 6 times but as i say, always when its cold and to be honest im not sure where to go from here any idea's would be gratefull thanks...

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
for what it costs I would use VAG fluid, on the old systems there has been reports of nonVAG stuff ruining pumps, I think VAG-BM and MErc stuff is totally different to everyone elses. Is it a diesel?

Mar 16, 2008
Wiltshire / Bristol
Only use VAG steering fluid. It only costs about £8 for a boottle, so definatley worth it.

While your there have a look to see if there are any leaks, as the fluid has got to go somewhere.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
hi,

thanks for all your help, it turns out that the powersteering resevior is very low, i am not sure what fluid to use i have some Halfords GM6137M DII Fluid 1L which i used in my old peugeot any idea's as to the right fluid to use and can i use the halfords fluid?

Also in answer to rum4mo your right i have had a lot of trouble with my battery lately always when its cold i have tried a garage to get a new battery but he tested it and said the battery and alternator are working fine you dont need a new battery admitedly i do very short journeys to and from work bout a mile and half and in the dark and i would say that since christmas i have had to jump start it at least 6 times but as i say, always when its cold and to be honest im not sure where to go from here any idea's would be gratefull thanks...

As said already only use VAG steering fluid, are you sure the level is very low, the cold level is just on the bottom of the cap-stick and the hot level is a bit higher up (I seem to remember). Using a car repeatedly over short journeys like 1.5 miles is never going to work for long, if you can safely plug into a charger, you should buy one that is safe to use while the battery is connected and make sure that it can change from "high charge" to "trickle charge" when it needs to. There are some smart chargers out there - even in Costco or from an on-line trader - I don't think Halfords sell them though - well not the really safe smart chargers.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.