Power Steering Whine

mrurbanite

mrurbanite
Jul 7, 2007
Warwickshire
Hello peeps, not been on here for a while but have a problem with my power steering you may have had.

Turn the steering wheel and you get a horrible screeching whining sound. Is there a belt that I need to have a look at? It feels like the steering is slipping, as if a belt is slipping when under pressure from turning the wheel. Please don't be the pump!

Cheers! (Currently thinking of grabbing a car on the scrappage scheme, but can't!)

richypanic

Seat Cordoba 2.0 16v SX
Nov 8, 2008
Aldershot, Hampshire
That will be your PAS belt. Screech is usually worse in wet weather.
Just tighten it up. Easiest way is to take driver side front wheel off for more room and get to it from there. Quite easy job, couple of spanners is all thats required.

mrurbanite

mrurbanite
Jul 7, 2007
Warwickshire
Hello again, gonna have a go at this PAS belt on Sat, do i need to take out the wheel arch lining to get to what i have to tighten up? 2 belts, one round the alternator (serpentine i think) and a smaller one that sits in front of that, just not sure what i need to tighten up, not been messing with motors to long but saves me some dosh which is what its all about (quite fun as well when you know what to look for etc!).

Cheers!

vngtx

take cover off, loosen both the power steering bolts and push pump towards engine. take belt off, new one on, lever pump back into place and tighten bolts up, cover on, job done :D the bottom bolt has a socket shape behind it, if you turn that anticlockwise it moves the pump towards engine and vise versa. you will understand when you see it.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.