Powerflex Bushes.... Problem

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Hey guys!

Fitted new lower arms with powerflex bushes this week, took the car out for a spin.... handling is better and you can feel there's no give on the front anymore.

BUT

Say I'm in a corner doing 30mph, driving normal with my foot on the throttle.... take it off and the car will pull left. Keeping the steering wheel in the same position press the throttle pulls back in!

On a straight take my foot of the throttle and the car will pull to the side, accelerate and pulls back in. Basically the best way to explain it is torque steer when I accelerate....

So had my tracking done today and problem isn't as bad but is still noticeable. I have been thinking what it can be and have no idea.... is it because there is no give on the powerflex bushes I'm feeling the smaller shaft pulling more than the longer one?

Any ideas will be a help!

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Yep camber is fine had the tracker and camber cheched yesterday, the tracking was out a bit but thats all. Triple checked and everything is tight underneath.

Went for a drive last night and when I'm off the accelerator the steering wheel is dead straight. Put my foot down and the steering wheel will turn to 11 o clock. I'm guessing its because of the driveshaft on the passenger side is shorter than the drivers side???

My theory is the passenger wheel will turn quicker than the drivers wheel, automatically pulling the car to the right and need to steer left to hold it straight? Am I right there?

What if I have the toe adjusted on the drivers wheel to compersate (sp) for it all?

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
You only need to post in one section. If you do it in two then one thread will either get deleted or they'll both get merged into one...

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
You only need to post in one section. If you do it in two then one thread will either get deleted or they'll both get merged into one...

Sorry only did it because I know the mk3 lot have probabaly done it more than us mk2 boys. I did say :)

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
No idea's? Any chance I can have this moved to the mk3 section, please mrcoyote? Because I know a few of the mk3 boys have fitted these bushes!

Grunter

If you have changed the lower arms then as far as i know there are only 3 other contact point to have an effect.

Steering rack
top mounts
tyres

there may have been a problem that was masked before you put the new stuff on
check play in rack rack mountings, if the track rod ends were shot they should have picked that up when tracking but dont bet on it. same for top mounts if camber was checked, also check tyre pressures, sounds stupid but sometimes its the little things that cause the biggest headaches..

HTH

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
I triple checked all the lower arm mounts, top mounts were changed when I fitted the coilovers, track rod ends and ball joints are about 2 months old.... think the next thing could be steering rack. Thanks fella :)

Grunter

which type of top mounts have you fitted, are they a 'one position' fit? just thought that the castor angles may be out between the two fronts if the top mounts are the spherical type.

Cant think of anything else at the moment mate.

hope you get it sorted

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Got my car on the ramps last nigt, how to spend a saturday night!

But found the problem! The front mount bush on one of the lower arms are too small by the looks????

Basically the bush is moving around inside the front mount hosuing on the lower arm! Got them from eBay, from Strickly Dubs selling Mk2 Golf lower arms with powerflex bushes already pressed in. So sent him an email see what he can sort for me! Not happy when I saw it mind!

Grayboy

Jan 31, 2005
Beckenham
Got my car on the ramps last nigt, how to spend a saturday night!

But found the problem! The front mount bush on one of the lower arms are too small by the looks????

Basically the bush is moving around inside the front mount hosuing on the lower arm! Got them from eBay, from Strickly Dubs selling Mk2 Golf lower arms with powerflex bushes already pressed in. So sent him an email see what he can sort for me! Not happy when I saw it mind!

Doesn't the Beeza have MK3 front suspension?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.