Private Plates Question

Hi all - hope this is the right place to put this!

Just wanted to know how people buy private plates and how they choose a company to use?

Bit of research really. I didn't realise how cheap they can be if you're looking for something simple-ish.

All feedback very welcome!

old 'uns

Modern Life is Rubbish...
Mar 20, 2003
walsall
Visit site
just keep looking at as many sites as you can, prices can vary by a lot for the same number.
the Irish one i got was £275 + transfer, on another site it was £400 + transfer, quite a bit on a small amount

the Irish one i got was £275 + transfer, on another site it was £400 + transfer, quite a bit on a small amount

This is because they don't always "own" the plates they are advertising - My mate saw a plate on pistonheads for £310, he offered the guy £290 and got it. The guy had said he had it valued at about £750 so my mate went online and checked and sure it was advertised at about £750-
£1000 on a couple of sites. He got a call back from one company and they asked if he wanted them to contact the seller and see if he would sell it for cheaper! Obviouslty knowing he already had it in the bag for £210 my mate kindly declined!

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
so far any i have seen/found that are available at DVLA have been 10-12% cheaper than a dealer overall as they include the fee + vat etc so watch out for that but shop about a bit for sure

Deleted member 20376

mine was £500 from the dvla that inc vat and the £80 signover fee.
they other thing i had to pay for was the plates to be made.
i got mine about 4 years ago when they were expensive ive noticed they have come down. but on a plus note, i had it valued and its worth £600 now.

i only went through the dvla as you see a lot of these on the side ones and adverts and was sure about them just thought would be better if i go direct.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Got mine for £245 all in. Plates cost me another £20 and i had about a weeks wait whilst the paperwork went through.

First time i've ever had a private plate and i'd use the DVLA again as they were no bother / hassle at all.

blackcupra180

Aug 4, 2009
fife
most private plate sites dont actually own the number plates they only advertise what dvla have got then if you buy a plate from them they then buy it from dvla and make profit for doing sweet :censored:all

AdeR

Something I'm having a look at doing now. Going to get new pressed plates if I get a private reg soonish.

scarface

Oct 27, 2005
West Midlands
Auction is today! Already submitted by absentee bid online with the dvla auction site which is very easy to use and gives you the actual price you will pay including fees etc.

Question, if i win, what happens next? how do i get a plate made?

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
I don't know about the online auctions, bu the proper auction routine is as follows.

I assume that you've left card/bank details to register. The main auction its 10% from the details supplied on the day and then if the balance is still not cleared they'll take the remaining balance using the same details.

Certificate of entitlement will then be issued.

Good luck online, I missed out on the last main auction by £600 (res £2900, bid £3300 and went for £3900) Ball park £5k all in. Wasn't desperate so didn't go in with a bid too high of reserve.

Not bidding on anything this week (Wed - Friday) at the main auction.

scarface

Oct 27, 2005
West Midlands
Well auction is over and i missed out! am gutted, was my perfect plate, date of birth and initials.

reserve was £1900, my max bid was £2300, it went for £2400! with the fees to my max would have been £3k, at £2400 it would be approx £3152.

I specially requested this plate and put an absentee bid in, the winner also had an absentee bid and must have bidded after seeing it in the catalogue, which makes it worse!

Wish i had bid a lil more, but theres guess theres no guarantee the other bidder didnt have a much higher bid in.

Thinking about trying for a diff dateless plate instead now. numbers 1-12 with my initials are already sold though!

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
Don't worry about it, you set your stall (that's why I like absentee online bids and no worries about getting carried away with a real auction) and it didn't happen. Like ebay, you set you max figure and bang it in at the appropriate time. If you loose, someone wanted it more than you then let them have it imo.

Initials plus birth date would've been a special one.

Time to move on.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.