Pro Alloy FMIC Fitment - Help?

HarveyGTI

Me and a friend are currently fitting the FMIC, and it is turning out to be a nightmare, and I dont think I have been supplied with the right set of pipes

right now the car is in pieces, usual bumper off etc

can anyone please help me in regards to what the Pro Alloys kit should include?

also we are trying to fit it to a 2001 LC, but we simply cannot see how the pipework is supposed to run

can anyone please please help, otherwise the car is going to be wheeled into the garage and no car for a few days:cry:

HarveyGTI

here are some pics of its current state

Inlet side

DSCN0663.jpg

Outlet side

DSCN0662.jpg

Top of Engine

DSCN0661.jpg

More outlet side

DSCN0665.jpg

Pipes I currently have

DSCN0666.jpg

I am thinking that we are short of pipes, or we just cannot possibly see how it all fits together

DSCN0661.jpg

The MoffMeister

Half Hoff, Half Moff.
Apr 4, 2006
colchester
bottom left of car you need 2 90's and short pipe that runs up to TB and using the original pipe from the TB to the original smic

the right is same and use long pipe which runs underneath the DV and in between the battery and engine you should have more parts also will look

DSC00130.jpg

Last edited:

smoothuk

SmoothNAV
Aug 26, 2005
Essex
i take it he hasnt discovered the reversed pipe on the inlet to the turbo, and the re-routing up the right hand side of the engine bay..

Oh Harv..watch out for the coolant pipe you need to cot..its a bi*ch to do. Id say that was the worst bit of the instal. looks like your missing two hoses or are they on the intercooler already?.

smoothuk

SmoothNAV
Aug 26, 2005
Essex
na think he is missing some parts smooth

humm, whats your guess rob, i just assumed he took of the left over bits on the floor and had left the 2 hoses on the intercooler. Cant see what he is missing tbh mate?

he clearly hasnt taken the pancake out and all the pipework that needs to be thrown away.

HarveyGTI

lol thx guys

OK, the car is not complete and in bits still

we managed to sort out the pipe work, and got all of the pipe work done apart from the main pipe which feeds onto the turbo...why?

because the pipe would simply not fit onto the standard hose, despite the fact we tried for an hour, greased it, cut it a bit etc, it was NEVER gunna fit

the other major issue was the pipe supplied by PA in which the SMIC sensor fitted onto, the hole was too small to screw it into, so we spent an hour re-drilling that and then the original screws did not fit, so luckily I had some screws and some washers to fit into it

we started work on this at 11am and finished at 10pm.....still in incomplete

not annoyed, but disappointed, as this is not a piece of kit, as every stage of the install was simply a stumbling block. The kit is clearly designed for the face lift or LCR version of the LCR

SO.....the situation right now, is the car was wheeled into the garage and can go no where right now

I will be phoning PA tomorrow to see how we can move forward with this together

HarveyGTI

humm, whats your guess rob, i just assumed he took of the left over bits on the floor and had left the 2 hoses on the intercooler. Cant see what he is missing tbh mate?

he clearly hasnt taken the pancake out and all the pipework that needs to be thrown away.

yeah took the pancake out, but have not taken out the remainder of the pipe yet, as at this point it was getting dark and started to rain, today has been a disaster really:cry:

watch this space - things will be sorted:D

wilksy

tfsi
Aug 13, 2005
oxford
yep seems to be a common trend now! these GB parts being made for later leons and this is why im glad i pulled out! lovely looking FMIC but to much hassle thrown in, i think the best thing to do if you got a pre facelift/phase 1 cupra and havent put a kit on then get a lcr FMIC from forge and custom pipe it all which i will hopefully do in a few months time.[ baby due this month so gotta stop spending for a mo].

HarveyGTI

yep seems to be a common trend now! these GB parts being made for later leons and this is why im glad i pulled out! lovely looking FMIC but to much hassle thrown in, i think the best thing to do if you got a pre facelift/phase 1 cupra and havent put a kit on then get a lcr FMIC from forge and custom pipe it all which i will hopefully do in a few months time.[ baby due this month so gotta stop spending for a mo].

tell me about it

me and my mate tried so hard and persevered pretty well yesterday, and we thought we finally had it, but the kick in the teeth was the hose not fitting onto the charge pipe, it was a simple case of it was never going to fit, and at that point we realised we could do nothing more. Also we were exhausted......and I am sure aching today

its a shame really as it is a fantastic piece of kit, but in hind sight, it is not made for the earlier model Leons

I am not sure what to do really, as the car is undriveable right now.

I will see what Wayne says later today and take it from there really

did anyone else not have the same issues with the original hose off the turbo not fitting the charge pipe? also when it does fit (with the correct pipe), it is SERIOUSLY tight for that pipe to feed past the DV and then by the left hand side of the battery and then down:blink:

HarveyGTI

well the car is now being trailored over to PA first thing in the moring to sort out the whole kit and fit everything back on the car....

PA have been very helpful and also pleased to have the car in for inspection of the kit. It should be done over the next few days

to be continued.........

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
Am I being silly in wondering why that kit doesnt just have both inlet and outlet on the one side (driverside), routing all that extra pipework back round the engine is just making things akward and longer than need be.
My forge on the other hand.... LOL Im not going to start! :)

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Am I being silly in wondering why that kit doesnt just have both inlet and outlet on the one side (driverside), routing all that extra pipework back round the engine is just making things akward and longer than need be.

:lol:
Surely the distance down the right of the engine down to the intercooler is the same as the distance of the existing LC charge pipe across the back, down and forward + pancake etc.

HarveyGTI

indeed, twin pass Vs Single pass.....

Thing is with that Forge kit, it still keeps the same pancaked pipe on the outlet, which the PA kit removes, all be it some tricky fitting and routing of pipes around the engine

The car is now being trailored over to PA for the whole kit to be fitted properly and revised, as speaking with Wayne it was meant for the face lifted versions, hence why it did not fit properly:rolleyes:

oh well, it will now be sorted over the next few days:)

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
the squashed pipe can still be done away with though.
For most of us, we never or rarely get the car onto the track so the difference between single and twin is not really applicable, for the likes of bill et al, maybe I dunno. If the kit is not the one designed for your motor then good luck and hope its rectified soon, if its actually designed like that then Im glad I went forge and the easy fitment which I did on my own.
It would be interesting to see what vagcom makes of a single vs a twin pass on the normal road.

HarveyGTI

the squashed pipe can still be done away with though.
For most of us, we never or rarely get the car onto the track so the difference between single and twin is not really applicable, for the likes of bill et al, maybe I dunno. If the kit is not the one designed for your motor then good luck and hope its rectified soon, if its actually designed like that then Im glad I went forge and the easy fitment which I did on my own.
It would be interesting to see what vagcom makes of a single vs a twin pass on the normal road.

without big modifications I think the difference would be marginal - perhaps slightly lower intake temps from the better efficiency of the single pass? dont know and wont know without doing proper data logging.

I have to say though, the PA kit does look very impressive

Just worried a little that it is all going to work out ok when it is shipped down to PA:headhurt::headhurt::headhurt:

When we got to the point yesterday by where the charge pipe would not go onto the hose on the turbo, I could have cried, we had been working from 11am and at this point it was now 9pm:cry: darkness and exhaustion was setting in by then

I am still so so tired today as well

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
Getting at the turbo single handedly is a pain even at the best of times, the cool side is the most difficult to get at but thats only offset by the fact you dont have to have it as tight as the hot side (which is the subject here)
Ive asked my powerflow bloke (who did a damn fine job of my cupra) to look into fabbing a new downpipe which wll mate onto a doctored std cat and replace the squashed pipe too, I was even going to suggest two slightly smaller pipes (but with better flow) one above the other merging into one pipe entering the fmic pipework but without testing I have no idea whether itll be a help or a hinderance.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.