Pro Alloy or Forge FMIC for your Leon?

HarveyGTI

happened to be looking on the jkm motoring website and came across these two intercoolers:

Forge FMIC - £733.95

seatleonfmic.jpg

OR

Pro Alloy - £675.00

seatleonfmic.jpg

Both well known makes. The Pro Alloy one looks taller, but also looks thinner than the Forge one

advantage is of course the Pro Alloy one is single pass, so less of a pressure drop

any views on this at all?

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
the bottom one isnt an lc cooler mate (lc has both pipes on driverside) you would need to see the lc verion to compare dimensions, another thing is the actual pipes on that pro alloy one look to have a small circumference compared to the forge version . (saying that I cant see it being a huge difference)

HarveyGTI

the bottom one isnt an lc cooler mate (lc has both pipes on driverside) you would need to see the lc verion to compare dimensions, another thing is the actual pipes on that pro alloy one look to have a small circumference compared to the forge version . (saying that I cant see it being a huge difference)

yeah thats what i thought, but the headlights and bonnet look very similar to an LC, you sure?

although thats the pic i took directly off the jkm site which was advertising the pic as a Leon Cupra, so presumed it was really

dam, thought i had found a single pass FMIC for the LC:cry: :D

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
Could still fit an lc but the pipework wold be uber long and useless as the ipe on the right would need to double back and run behind the fmic which would foul pretty much every moving part located there, belts and all.
My forge for comparison.
icupclose2sm.jpg

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Yes the bottom one IS an LC intercooler, looks like an unfinished development version. PA one has 60mm pipework, not a restriction at all, larger diameter pipework promotes lag. Larger single-pass Vs smaller but thicker twin-pass, Forge only rate theirs to maybe 300hp max., PA say theirs is 400+hp ... Songman's 360bhp IHI LCR runs the PA one!

PA is single-pass so the entire intercooler cools the charge down, the Forge only receives airflow on one half too and is twin-pass, so would be less efficient.

Last edited:

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
pipework must be a pain though rob unless the whole airways have been rejigged?
Id go so far to say that 400bhp is a pipe dream for most folk on here, 300 would certainly be enough for most. (maybe im a little biased though! :D)

HarveyGTI

Brendy as you said if it was a single pass, it would foul all the pipework/gubbings in the engine bay...but how have PA managed to make a single pass then?

just curious as of course, too long a pipework would cause a much further pressure drop than the forge kit...but somehow PA have managed to do it

Feb 27, 2007
Behind Wilko
so far i havent seen any info on the performance of the PA so i have nothing to go on. The forge intercooler is tried and tested with the results on show... I have been thinking about buying a FMIC for a while now but i am struggling to make a decision as to which on to go for with the info i have at the minute..

TBH i think if the Forge intercooler was a bit cheaper, there would be no contest for me and i would probably already have one sat on the front of my LCR

HarveyGTI

so far i havent seen any info on the performance of the PA so i have nothing to go on. The forge intercooler is tried and tested with the results on show... I have been thinking about buying a FMIC for a while now but i am struggling to make a decision as to which on to go for with the info i have at the minute..

TBH i think if the Forge intercooler was a bit cheaper, there would be no contest for me and i would probably already have one sat on the front of my LCR

thats only my query that nothing is on "paper" as of yet for the results to the PA kit, but the proof is in the pudding, and as the IHI or BT boys run the PA kit, then that says alot I think, they have no issues and the PA kit works very well for the high powered setups

thing is for a mildly tuned K03S - DP, exhaust etc, is the PA kit overkill?

EDIT: Just seen robdons post, nice results

Feb 27, 2007
Behind Wilko
i agree that if youre going IHI then you should definately get the PA but... with a standard or stage 1 LCR or LC i think i would go for the Forge..

RobDon

Pro Detailer
If Forge offered their LC and LCR kits for £200 less then I'm sure everyone would be all over them, I mean if PA can sell them for £594 inc.VAT and delivery for 10+ kits then Forge can too!!!

I believe Forge are working on a new intercooler kit just now.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.