Purchased car - poor condition!

mikesndbs

Apr 3, 2010
West Sussex UK
www.youtube.com
LED sidelights are legal AFAIK, I have a set from Ultraleds.co.uk which I'm pretty happy with, were about £11 delivered. I had no trouble getting a Halfords bulb kit for mine, although I'm sure it'd be cheaper to just buy the bulbs separately from elsewhere, Halfords aren't known for their good value...

In fact, if you particularly want the bulb kit then I can probably just post it to you. I've now changed to LED sidelights and HIDs, I'm going to change the main beam bulbs for some less yellow ones so tbh most of the kit doesn't apply to my car anymore anyway (and I have all the original bulbs from upgrading as spares if I ever needed them). I'll have a look tonight and see if I've used any bulbs out of it (I think the ones I have used have been replaced) and let you know.

That's most kind of you :) are the LED side lights just a like for like swap?

mikesndbs

Apr 3, 2010
West Sussex UK
www.youtube.com
Thanks, yes there they did a good job I think.
Just wish the new pads and discs would bed in soon, horrible sqeek when I brake sometimes LOL
Done 130 miles so far.
The ABS thing did kick in again once today at low speed! don't understand it, its far, far better than it was however, maybe the sensor itself is a bit iffy?
Ah well, main thing is it runs nice now.

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
Thanks, yes there they did a good job I think.
Just wish the new pads and discs would bed in soon, horrible sqeek when I brake sometimes LOL
Done 130 miles so far.
The ABS thing did kick in again once today at low speed! don't understand it, its far, far better than it was however, maybe the sensor itself is a bit iffy?
Ah well, main thing is it runs nice now.

Take it back again till they fix it!

mikesndbs

Apr 3, 2010
West Sussex UK
www.youtube.com
Headlight cover off (easy job), sidelight bulb holders pop out (mine are easy as I've gone through a higher than average number of sidelight bulbs over the past few years, yours may be a bit more difficult but once you've found it you just pull it straight back out of the light unit to "pop" it off), remove old wedge filament bulbs (easy), push in new wedge LED bulbs (easy), put the sidelight bulb holders back in (again mine have slightly worn lugs so are easy, yours may be more difficult), headlight cover back on (easy).

edit - I'll PM you about the bulb kit as I can't put my hands on it right now, but if you're interested and just want to cover whatever it costs me to post it (shouldn't be more than a few quid I'd have thought) then it's yours...

Hi and thanks :) can I find these LED side lights on ebay or via a on-line site?
Yes, I am all for recycling so yes please I'd like the set when you find it :)

mikesndbs

Apr 3, 2010
West Sussex UK
www.youtube.com
I've got 6000K HIDs to replace my dipped beams, and am on the lookout for some white main beam bulbs. As for the rest, since they're coloured anyway I don't see the point in replacing them really, they're fine the way they are. I've just never really liked the yellow colour on the headlights when driving in the dark, the white of HIDs looks much better IMO and lights up the road better.

OK thanks, I am looking at this not only for effect but also the greatly reduced energy costs of running LED's v normal bulbs.
Got to be good to petrol consumption that :)

crazybrumi

Mar 13, 2010
Hall Green, Birmingham
yeh i had a look at my front disc last week when i had to change the tyres as it was flat and was shocked at what i saw. as in the first picture of the brake disc on the 1st page there was rust built up on the top of the disc that went all round, it and some even on the surface where the break pad met, however when i got to the garage and took spare of and replaced the original back there was some improvement on surface but not huge. so i think thats me having to save up again for the car instead of a holiday

mikesndbs

Apr 3, 2010
West Sussex UK
www.youtube.com
yeh i had a look at my front disc last week when i had to change the tyres as it was flat and was shocked at what i saw. as in the first picture of the brake disc on the 1st page there was rust built up on the top of the disc that went all round, it and some even on the surface where the break pad met, however when i got to the garage and took spare of and replaced the original back there was some improvement on surface but not huge. so i think thats me having to save up again for the car instead of a holiday

Hi, I think a surface rust after a period of no use is normal, its the pits and scores that are a problem.

mikesndbs

Apr 3, 2010
West Sussex UK
www.youtube.com
Just one more question to make sure my new car is OK please.
What should the engine sound like when starting up?
Mine does a good impersonation of a diesel, then settles down.
Maybe I should post a sound file for you to check out?

Not knowing these cars at all I just want to check

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
They can sound a bit Diesel like from cold start up. But this should settle down after a min or two.

How are the tyres? If youve one thats new or different to the others it can cause the T/C to activate the abs prematurely. Just a thought.

Pleased they`ve sorted it for you. :)

mikesndbs

Apr 3, 2010
West Sussex UK
www.youtube.com
They can sound a bit Diesel like from cold start up. But this should settle down after a min or two.

How are the tyres? If youve one thats new or different to the others it can cause the T/C to activate the abs prematurely. Just a thought.

Pleased they`ve sorted it for you. :)

Ah good stuff, that is another worry ticked off [B)]

Tyres look OK, by no means new but a lot of miles left yet.
This ABS thing is only at very low speed, like when braking and turning.
In fact it mostly happens when braking and turning right!
Someone suggested it could be a sensor cable that has been rubbing and is shorting to earth randomly! I'll have a good look at the cables.
When I was with the seller he plugged the car into a vag com thing and this confirmed which sensor was unhappy.

They replaced the hub, sensor disc and wheel bearing, this very much improved things and its now very infrequent, it did it just twice on the way home from them (40 miles)

I don't think its unsafe is it? just a bit of a pain!

mikesndbs

Apr 3, 2010
West Sussex UK
www.youtube.com
Doesn't sound particularly diesel-y to me. I'll record my actual Leon diesel one day, you'll soon realise how bad they are ;)

LOL yeah I thought that when I made it! must be behaving as it knows its on show :p

I must say this forum is stunningly responsive!

leonEngine.jpg

I have cleaned the bay and bits since this pic was taken! missing plastic nut bottom right of plastic cover (bit with writing on) and top left the cap on top of what I assume is the top of the suspension strut seems to be missing, maybe a visit to the local scrappy will sort those two out.

mikesndbs

Apr 3, 2010
West Sussex UK
www.youtube.com
Hi, well I guess I should stop this thread soon but as your looking :) can I ask about engine oil please?
I have looked at the other threads but have got myself confused.
I have some part synthetic 10W 40 engine oil will that be OK or do I need something else?

Then I looked at the petrol threads! in my cap it says 95/91 so just normal petrol then?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.