Quick question...

rrpalma

Dec 24, 2002
Visit site
A friend that just came back from Spain tells me that SEAT is launching the R version of the Cupra (named Cupra R) this coming September.

Anybody knows anything about this?

Thanks

-- RRP

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
Is there a need for one in the current market anyway.

Not picked up a car magazine for a couple of months, but last I heard the Cupra was the joint second most powerful front wheel drive car anyway (behing the Mazda 3 MPS or whatever it is).

To gain significantly more power you are looking at either rear or four wheel drive (new Focus RS is supposed to be 4WD), yes I know people have 300 bhp+ out of their Cupra's but would that be suitable for the mass market?

So I reckon that if SEAT released a Cupra R then it would be 4WD, which is something they aren't really into.

I bet they me prove me wrong though...

owen lcr

orvil
Oct 10, 2006
montrose, scotland
if they brought out a 4 wheel drive cupra r i think i would cry as i would need to have one... i really hope for our sake that they dont bring out a cupra r as after spending all this money on a top of the range car i dont want them to bring out a better one. as i am sure most other people would fork out extra for 4 wheel drive IMHO

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
So I reckon that if SEAT released a Cupra R then it would be 4WD, which is something they aren't really into.

And you'd call the 4wd mk1 leon what then? :shrug:

If they were into it enough the first time round, i'm sure they will be the second time round, all the bits/parts are already available (r32 + s3 etc)

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
And you'd call the 4wd mk1 leon what then? :shrug:

If they were into it enough the first time round, i'm sure they will be the second time round, all the bits/parts are already available (r32 + s3 etc)

I stand corrected, didn't realise they did a 4WD Mk.1 Leon. Was that avaliable in the U.K?

If SEAT have done one, before then they could easily do it again. As you say the S3 and R32 are both 4WD.

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
lol Scott, I know how pissed off you would be but i'd still have to raise a smile and probably giggle, seat havent got as clue what area of the market they now reside, is it sports, is it economy or is it now the "im not sure, alfa were the same and have done ok" market area?

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
I stand corrected, didn't realise they did a 4WD Mk.1 Leon. Was that avaliable in the U.K?

If SEAT have done one, before then they could easily do it again. As you say the S3 and R32 are both 4WD.

No, was only ever a left hooker..

They also did a 2.8 v6 ;)

ghosty

Jun 14, 2007
essex
or seeing as it will be new it may even use the new vw 3.6 v6 engine to be used in the R36 passat and golf with the 4wd...:confused:

lozeree

To be honest though, that could really be the only difference is the 4WD part! I dont think they will get much more out of a Leon than what the Cupra is capable of. If Seat brought out a Cupra R, it would end up being quicker than the S3 and do you think that is likely to happen!!

By the way i'm saying this to reassure myself having just brought a Cupra and hoping they dont bring out something better!!!

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
lol Scott, I know how pissed off you would be

I think I only would be if it was the same price as the Cupra and the Cupra price dropped. I had to stretch things financially to get it and couldn't have afforded it if it cost any more. That's why I sold the R a year before I got the Cupra to try and save a bit.

Tbh - I must be getting old, but the Cupra is just the ticket for me now. I'm not even tempted to mod it, which I thought I would be. It's fast enough as it is. ;)

Scott

cmc

ohhhhh yes.
Sep 13, 2002
Glasgow
Visit site
I think I only would be if it was the same price as the Cupra and the Cupra price dropped.

Agreed re the pricing. I think Seat might struggle to hike of the selling price of a top of the range Leon much further (even if it was 4WD). They'd right up against the A3's and Golf's of the world then.

cmc

rrpalma

Dec 24, 2002
Visit site
Is there a need for one in the current market anyway.

Not picked up a car magazine for a couple of months, but last I heard the Cupra was the joint second most powerful front wheel drive car anyway (behing the Mazda 3 MPS or whatever it is).

To gain significantly more power you are looking at either rear or four wheel drive (new Focus RS is supposed to be 4WD), yes I know people have 300 bhp+ out of their Cupra's but would that be suitable for the mass market?

I bet they me prove me wrong though...

forgot to say that the cupra r was supposed to hawe 4wd.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise