Radio in mk5 - ISO block not standard !!

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Hi again,

Just tried to put a standard ISO SD/USB radio in my Mk5 Ibiza and found that the wiring block in the car wont fit a standard ISO radio !

I've taken pictures to show:

16ll7c6.jpg

oszbqh.jpg

20uvnuf.jpg

Does this mean i'd need an adaptor of some sort to fit onto this and terminate into ISO connectors ??. I don't want to have to cut wires etc.

Best Regards,
Andy

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Last edited:

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Thats because is a quadlock not an ISO connector, they dont come apart. The correct adapter lead will just plug straight into that.

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Or this one (still the same AIS2156), but £5 cheaper http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Celsus-ISO-Le...cles_Terminals_Cabling_ET?hash=item2a03c22dc3

But what's all this mean:
blue wire is ignition live NOT antenna control
Red wire - connect to ignition live
Orange wire - connect to side light switch (dimmer control)
Connect Red wire of AIS2156 to fuse box of vehicle. locate a Red/Yellow wire and solder Red wire AIS2156 to it. Always test before any connections made.

I simply want to connect a radio, not be doing anything with the fuse box / side light switch etc !!

Regards,
Andy

smartin18

On the radio subject, how did you get the radio out in the first place?

I'm looking at installing a Parrot bluetooth kit, will the ISO parrot kit fit into this?

ANy help would be great

jrallnutt

smartin18, I fitted a parrot kit (a mki9000) to my boca recently - turned out to be a bit fiddley to do properly. I can probably give you a few tips.

One thing you will hit pretty quickly is that there is no switched live (on when ignition is on) available on the connections at the back of the radio - you need to feed one from the cig ligther socket or similar. I fed mine from the fusebox in the end.

Most useful thing I found was to look at the pinout diagram stuck to the top of the head unit.
It sets out what you need to wire to what.

Let me know if you need any help.

Joe.

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
You'll need a number 20 Torx bit, easy to find, even in £1 shop!. Prise the plastic surround off carefully! (i used a plastic fork), it'll come off if you take care not to bend it too much. Then the radio had 4 x Torx screws. Unscrew them and the unit comes out no problem !

Andy

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Well not a great deal further forward. I bought some standard ISO block connectors and decided just to pull the pins out and match them up that way.

When i've looked to see which is live / neutral (on the Quadlock box connector on the car) it's not clear at all !!. Even looking at the diagram on the standard Seat radio, it's not clear as to which way up or which connectors it's referring to !

Back of radio:
73iemw.jpg

Front View of Quadlock Block Connector in Car:
ekm5c6.jpg

Rear View of Quadlock Block Connector in car (showing colour of wiring)
20uuyl0.jpg

Rearview of the Radio i'm trying to install:
t7ecyw.jpg

Do you think i'm going to be better biting the bullet and ordering http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ISO-VW-Seat-w...cles_Terminals_Cabling_ET?hash=item255767e7ec ??

I'm concerned i do something to the car's electrics if i mess on with the wiring as it is now (unless anyone knows the exact pin setup for the mk5 quadlock block connector ?)

Best Regards,
Andy

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
The rear view is a quadlock anyway????

Oh my god !! I think you're right !! how stupid of me. im gonna have another try tomorrow then in that case. i was so convinced it wouldn't be that i didn't even try!! so i assume both the new radio's quad and the cars quad should match up electricalwise without any issue with ? it won't set off the cars engine management light or anything Daft like that ? . . . cheers andy

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Just when i thought i couldn't get any more stupid !!!!! - that last pic (in Post #11) IS of the standard Ibiza Radio (which is why it looked like the quad-lock would fit...... because it obviously does !)

However...... the back of the radio i am actually trying to put in is now pictured below, and it's not a straight swap, i will need some kind of adaptor (this one ?? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ISO-VW-Seat-w...cles_Terminals_Cabling_ET?hash=item255767e7ec)

312zk87.jpg

Regards,
Andy

Last edited:

tur8o_boi

Aug 21, 2008
* VW & Seat original radio harness to ISO
* VW Polo 2007 model - blue wire is ignition live NOT antenna control
* Red wire - connect to ignition live
* Orange wire - connect to side light switch (dimmer control)
* Connect Red wire of AIS2156 to fuse box of vehicle. locate a Red/Yellow wire and solder Red wire AIS2156 to it. Always test before any connections made.

the above in bold.....

is this to make it ignition switched?

it kind of conflicts with what it says above it saying "red wire - connect to ignition live"

or is the red/yellow wire in the fuse box a switched live?

PLEASE HELP!!!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise