Rain/Light Sensor Coding Mk3 FR

Andy1977

Jul 10, 2017
Can anyone please confirm that this sensor will be okay to use with the upgrade. The Ref number seems to tally but it would be good to just get confirmation before pressing the buy it now button.

Thanks

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
Look good pal, that's the same code sensor that I used.

Glad you decided to go this way and not with that cheap wired jobby.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MadeInYorkshire

Jan 25, 2018
Thanks. I'll get one purchased. I was on the motorway today constantly changing the intermittent wiper speed as the rain was coming down thinking I wish I had auto wipers!

Andy1977

Jul 10, 2017
Thanks. I'll get one purchased. I was on the motorway today constantly changing the intermittent wiper speed as the rain was coming down thinking I wish I had auto wipers!
Hmm I hope you won't be too disappointed when I tell you you'll still have to fiddle with that switch sometimes to get the speed just right.

MadeInYorkshire

Jan 25, 2018
Does the sensor change the frequency of the wipe depending on the amount of rainfall (as my Mondeo did) or does it just switch the wiping action on and off when it rains?

Andy1977

Jul 10, 2017
Does the sensor change the frequency of the wipe depending on the amount of rainfall (as my Mondeo did) or does it just switch the wiping action on and off when it rains?
The sensor changes the frequency but the little switch on the stalk still speeds up or does it down if your not happy, kind of like an override if that makes sense?

MadeInYorkshire

Jan 25, 2018
Ok I follow. Best of both worlds in a way I suppose. Maybe the auto function would not be quite as efficient as you'd like at times. It was like that on my Mondeo at times.

Andy1977

Jul 10, 2017
Ok I follow. Best of both worlds in a way I suppose. Maybe the auto function would not be quite as efficient as you'd like at times. It was like that on my Mondeo at times.
Either way it's still better than manual.
A quick note about the auto light switch, if you get a golf one it must be a Mk7 I'm sure the golf ones light up white and won't match your Leon interior, it bothers some folks not others. Mine came out of a polo Gti and lights up the correct colours.

MadeInYorkshire

Jan 25, 2018
I don't think it will bother me really. I'll get the sensor fitted first and then tackle the auto lights and coding later.

Andy1977

Jul 10, 2017
I don't think it will bother me really. I'll get the sensor fitted first and then tackle the auto lights and coding later.
Make sure to check that the new sensor has the clear gel pad with it (should do if new) and if so when you remove the old sensor make sure to clean all the old gel pad away with glass cleaner.

Andy1977

Jul 10, 2017
Last edited:

Stevan

Apr 8, 2017
Musselburgh
I got the 5G0941431AF and it was pricey. The others may have a different colour back light, to be OCD the Seat is red backlit.
see: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showpost.php?p=4633283&postcount=70

..and for info I also got the RLHS Sensor: 5Q0955547A
That works perfectly except for auto close windows when raining, despite managing to get the option to appear and enabled in car settings using OBDEleven. That apparently is a date of manufacture rather than a part number issue. Well I think so anyway after reading around on here.

Last edited:

MadeInYorkshire

Jan 25, 2018
Received my sensor this morning and have just fitted it into the Leon. I was surprised how easily the first part of the mirror housing came out but noticed that two of the small plastic clips may have already been broken prior to removal.
The sensor itself also came out very easily as there didn't appear to be any gel holding it after the two clips had been released.
I was going to try the auto wiper function this afternoon but typically the rain that we've had for the last 24 hours has gone!

Need to decide now which method of auto lights to use.

Last edited:

Andy1977

Jul 10, 2017
Received my sensor this morning and have just fitted it into the Leon. I was surprised how easily the first part of the mirror housing came out but noticed that two of the small plastic clips may have already been broken prior to removal.
The sensor itself also came out very easily as there didn't appear to be any gel holding it after the two clips had been released.
I was going to try the auto wiper function this afternoon but typically the rain that we've had for the last 24 hours has gone!

Need to decide now which method of auto lights to use.
Glad you got the rain sensor sorted mate, have you tried just spraying water on the front screen.

Coming home leaving home lights might be an issue with the wire in the switch not standard method.

Last edited:

MadeInYorkshire

Jan 25, 2018
Luckily the rain arrived again so had lots of opportunity to see the auto wipers in action. They worked well so I'm very happy with the mod.

One thing I did wonder about with the less elegant auto lights solution is whether the instrument lights will come on when the auto headlights do. I would think they would but have seen no mention of it.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.