Really fed up with Suspension on my TDI 130 Sport

laurenh

Hi, I'm new to the forum & my reason for joining was to find out more about the suspension!
I have an Ibiza Cupra 1.9 TDI- the suspension is awful. I love the car & everyone compliments it, well until they get in it... It's embarrassing really. The nearside suspension has had alot of work on it & now the offside needs the same!
After reading this thread, I'm seriously looking into the KONI shock absorbers- does anyone have them? Are they worth a buy?

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
Hi, I'm new to the forum & my reason for joining was to find out more about the suspension!
I have an Ibiza Cupra 1.9 TDI- the suspension is awful. I love the car & everyone compliments it, well until they get in it... It's embarrassing really. The nearside suspension has had alot of work on it & now the offside needs the same!
After reading this thread, I'm seriously looking into the KONI shock absorbers- does anyone have them? Are they worth a buy?

I've seen the Koni shocks recommended again and again, so I'd assume they are good and worth the money, but they not cheap by any means.

On another note, I had the FR (only the Front so far) fitted yesterday and I have to say the difference is quite noticeable. The suspension is still quite firm, but the crashy feeling has gone which was annoying me, and my top mounts aren't making a noise anymore either :)

My original suspension has only done 65K, so either the FR suspension is a little more forgiving or my Cupra suspension is sufficiently worn enough to warrant replacement. Either way, all I need to do now is fit the rear suspension and let it all settle in, then pass final judgement.

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
Its the crapest ride known to man!

I've recently improved mine by changing the tired H&R springs and dampers to some cheapy JOM coilovers, with new top mounts, arb bushes etc. It's much better but still not great compared to most cars. I contemplated going for some decent dampers such as the FSD's and shorter springs to improve the ride further but it was down to cost in the end. I just need mine to do a job at the moment.

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
IMO (and i consider myself quite qualified in this field since I've tested every combo known to man :lol:) it always gets better when you change the suspension.
I feel like a lot of this is probably a placebo effect.
Everything I've tried has been good for the first month or so. But then it slowly starts to deteriorate.

Skinny tyres, stiff suspension, uprated bushes and arbs etc all just combine to making it worse than it really should be.

My problem has always been finding comfort, while still retaining some degree of handling.
New standard shocks and springs, new top mounts, bearings, with poly bushes, and NO arb was very comfy, but wasn;t ideal on the handling.

Stiff KW coilovers were good handling, but rattled your teeth out.

Its just one of the Ibiza quirks that we have to learn to live with :cry:

FR_MATT

Jun 2, 2010
For me replacing the old worn voided bushes with the Cupra ones had the most effect on my FR. Both in a positive way in terms of turn in feeling sharper but also in the negative way by making it a lot harsher/rattley.

John11367

May 20, 2005
Ordered koni FSDs for my cupra last night so will update when I get them fitted. Just gonna use them with standard springs for now not fussed on lowering it really. £450 lighter but tbh the ride was ruining the car for me so if it sorts it I'll be happy enough.

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
Ordered koni FSDs for my cupra last night so will update when I get them fitted. Just gonna use them with standard springs for now not fussed on lowering it really. £450 lighter but tbh the ride was ruining the car for me so if it sorts it I'll be happy enough.

I know what you mean about "ruining the car", I've seriously considered getting rid because of the ride quality, and only the ride quality. I love the car otherwise, and thats why I've just forked out £££ to try rectify this even slightly. In combination with my larger profile tyres, it's definitely improved the ride quality so far, so cross fingers the Koni FSD's will help even more.

Last edited:

John11367

May 20, 2005
I'm the same, it was either sort the suspension or start looking for a change for me too, and it seemed ridiculous to change it when there's only 30k on it, I cant afford to, and as you say the car is brilliant otherwise so all things considered I thought the outlay was worth it!

Next step is 45 profile tyres when they need changed and sound deadening to try and mute the road noise a bit, then I'll be happy..

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
I'm the same, it was either sort the suspension or start looking for a change for me too, and it seemed ridiculous to change it when there's only 30k on it, I cant afford to, and as you say the car is brilliant otherwise so all things considered I thought the outlay was worth it!

Next step is 45 profile tyres when they need changed and sound deadening to try and mute the road noise a bit, then I'll be happy..

very interested to here how you get on with the fsds. I'm on a mission to have the quietest ibiza and have done a substantial amount of sound deadening which has worked well.

smokeydominic

Jul 28, 2011
Oh my god the suspension in my car makes me scream. It's on 90k so yes its worse than ever. I find playing classical music very loud seems to help, that way people can't hear my swearing at the suspension. Seat ibizas must be built in a country where the roads are made of silk!

Spooky211

Dec 13, 2010
Glasgow

I'm the same also, i love the car but the ride quality is ridiculous, even more crashy than my mates old Type-r. It is literally the only fault i have with the car... i also blame the shitty roads we pay to drive on, anyone in the Glasgow area will know what i'm talking about.

As for sound deadening, how do you go about it? I've got rattles all over the place and dont really know where to start...

FR_MATT

Jun 2, 2010
The Spanish have given or dodgey ones or our roads are worse:

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/48192/seat_ibiza_cupra_tdi.html

The damping is fabulous too. It's firm, but not stiff-legged or crashy. Aside from really badly broken surfaces it was pretty supple. It's not perfect, though. The damping was caught out on a couple of occasions by repeated low frequency undulations which briefly had the car pitching vertically, though it quickly settled down. Interestingly, compared with the FR (Driven, 066), the Cupra has shorter, stiffer shocks, a lower ride height and slightly thicker anti-roll bars but softer springs.

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
I'm the same also, i love the car but the ride quality is ridiculous, even more crashy than my mates old Type-r. It is literally the only fault i have with the car... i also blame the shitty roads we pay to drive on, anyone in the Glasgow area will know what i'm talking about.

As for sound deadening, how do you go about it? I've got rattles all over the place and dont really know where to start...

Yeah the roads in and around glasgow are shocking! Sumertown Road in Govan is a joke, my cars literally shaking itself to bits going along that road. Also the Gorbals is very bad too.

As for the sound deadening it is really very easy. Just order the stuff from ebay then take all the interior out and stick it all over the floor plan and the rear quarters, doors and boot. Hairdrier over it and rub until its all stuck down properly.

The Spanish have given or dodgey ones or our roads are worse:

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/48192/seat_ibiza_cupra_tdi.html

I remember that review, there was a comment at the end that said they would need to test it on british tarmac because they were concerned about the road noise and the suspension might not be able to cope - which it doesn't lol.

laurenh

I've seen the Koni shocks recommended again and again, so I'd assume they are good and worth the money, but they not cheap by any means.

On another note, I had the FR (only the Front so far) fitted yesterday and I have to say the difference is quite noticeable. The suspension is still quite firm, but the crashy feeling has gone which was annoying me, and my top mounts aren't making a noise anymore either :)

My original suspension has only done 65K, so either the FR suspension is a little more forgiving or my Cupra suspension is sufficiently worn enough to warrant replacement. Either way, all I need to do now is fit the rear suspension and let it all settle in, then pass final judgement.

How much did the FR suspension cost you?

& John11367- please let us know what the FSD's are like :)

laurenh

In a sense these replies are giving me peace of mind that I didn't just get a bad egg- its reassuring to know i'm not the only one with AWFUL suspension but in the same token, gutted the suspension is so bad in the first place. It really let's the car down. Literally love my Cupra-160 bhp & averaging 40 to the gallon, perfect combo... Until you hit a bumpy road which in my car is most roads TBH

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
How much did the FR suspension cost you?

& John11367- please let us know what the FSD's are like :)

Approx £400, not cheap but it was all round, and includes all the nuts, bolts, bump stops, clips etc. did a 60 mile trip today, and it's a far better ride now.

Last edited:

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
Approx £400, not cheap but it was all round, and includes all the nuts, bolts, bump stops, clips etc. did a 60 mile trip today, and it's a far better ride now.

you got the backs on now too? If you think that's good now, i hate to think what the cupra suspension is like tbh!

AndyC567

Feb 28, 2006
Swap the springs (and possibly shocks) from a Skoda Fabia VRS?

Oversprung & under damped.

Typical SEAT suspension that just gets worse over time.

Best bet would be to get new dampers (Monroe etc) and either keep your OE springs, or as suggested from the better riding Fabia vRS

Don't get coilovers. They're stiffer, but have (sometimes) better dampers.

Well just won some springs from a Fabia VRS on Ebay..

Hopefully along with some new dampers, things will start to improve.

I thought it was worth a try before giving up on the Ibiza, love the car in many aspects but just can't put up with the awful suspension any longer.

So, dampers next, anyone know any good cheap places to source them from?

Cheers guy's

Red Panda

Apr 18, 2010
Not telling
You guys sound like you're having a complete nightmare with your suspension. If it was me I'd change cars if I hated the car's ride that much. I'm trying to think what close alternatives there'd be...maybe an Audi A3? I admit I haven't ever driven one but I bet it'd be a softer cushier ride.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.