Rear washer issues?

CHR15B

May 5, 2005
Scotland
Hey folks,

It's a very common problem at this time of year when rear washers fail to work to their full ability due to the frost etc.

This has been covered about a hundred times on this forum so I'm not going to bore you all with the details.

Basically mines stopped working, so I figured the pipe had popped off so I took off the boot trim to find it was perfectly intact... infact - it looks like the previous owner has made an amendment to stop it happening again...

01_Motor.jpg

So I checked as much piping as I could - all looked OK so put the boot trim back on, ran my rear washer and poked around... I found some water droplets at this part of the boot...

02_Water.jpg

So I investigated more, and removed the plastic panel above it to find a slightly loose join - split it apart and put it back together and the problem is solved.

The image below shows the join...

03_SplitPipe.jpg

And that was that - main reason for the post is I have not seen that join mentioned before on here and it caused my problem - so if you have this issue and it's not on the tailgate - check that connection out and you might have the same problem.

It's likely my own fault for not using screenwash, only water. So I filled up with screenwash and hopefully won't have that problem again!

air121005

Sep 28, 2006
Worcestershire
there is also another joint in the line within the engine bay under the ECU!!!!

had to take the airbox off to get at that one! ;)

i had all 3 pop off one after the other :(

glue and jubilee clips seemed to have done the job :D

Andybon

BOOYAH!!!
Nov 1, 2007
St Helens
I was wandering where the boot full of water came from, lifted my carpet up the other day to see a nice pond in there, will have to check this, add the hose out lver the back of the car checking for a leak and found nothing!

Deleted member 23080

hi cheers will check mine now as had this problem yesterday and broke 2 dam clips lol top left and top right

Is it easy to get that panel off?????

leon1p

XBL - dervturbo
Jun 30, 2006
Aberdeen
www.simplyrc.com
I have something similar on my Mk2 Leon I think.. Low pressure on the rear washer. Tested it outside just now to find water pouring out the bottom of the car behind the rear jacking point.. not sure where it is actually coming from yet though. Also seems like there has been moisture in the rear footwell behind the driver as there is some mould forming under the mat :( The boot/tailgate seems dry. The side panels and carpets are not so easy to lift as i found out when i was running hifi wires.

JPS3290

Dirty Diesel
Jun 6, 2003
Durham
Visit site
Mine stopped working this morning. Strange as it was working fine the past 2 days when I have seen -7.5c on the temp gauge, yet today it was 7c this morning.

I can hear the washer motor pumping but absolutely no sign of water anywhere. Washer jet is dry as a bone, inside the boot is dry everywhere.

Car's only 6 months old and goes it for a service in 2-3 weeks but i'm going to have to try and fix it before then as the rear window gets dirty so quickly!

Where abouts is the connection at in the engine bay? Easy to find ?

Last edited:

spyke85

I Like Cheese!
Oct 26, 2003
Bolton
Visit site
What's the best way to get to the one in the engine bay? I am forming nice puddles on my drive. Is it jack it up, take wheel off and arch liner?

The-Les

I sorted mine today took the arch liner off only to find it was leaking from the back! only took three hours

davea

Aug 21, 2006
Stickney
I'm having the same problem at the moment on my 1 year old Ibiza. Looks like my joining in the engine bay has popped out. Not the only thing to have gone wrong recently, Ah well its going in for a 20K service soon so they can sort everything out then.

the_fbi

'05 Fabia vRS
Jun 14, 2004
Northamptonshire
If its dripping down onto the nearside front, rear wishbone mounting, where's the pipe come off and whats the best way to access it?

ta
Chris

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members