Rear Wheel Bearing Change

Thev5

Keeping it unreal
Nov 19, 2004
www.gardensandhouses.co.uk
Hi All,

I have a noise coming from what I think is the rear nearside wheel. From what I can gather I think the wheel bearing is on the way out.

Would I be right in thinking that you have to replace the hub as well due to the bearing race’s being integrated? I’ve seen some on ebay for £35 - £40 each including delivery. Is that a good price?

I will more than likely do it myself. I will need to get a bearing puller or similar, but do you guy’s have any advice or hints on this?

Many thanks

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Yeah thats it mate. Piece of cake to do. You need a 30mm 12 point (aka triple hex) socket to remove the nut, then once the disc is off just tap it off the stub axle, normally comes off as one unit.

Thev5

Keeping it unreal
Nov 19, 2004
Cool. I saw that AVS do the hex socket for about £7. I'm tempted to do the fronts as well. Looks like I can get both rear hubs for £70'ish. I'm tempted to do the fronts as well. Are the fronts a complete unit, or is the hub and bearing seperate? I think I might spend a little time doing the work and do a guide for it as well.

Thev5

Keeping it unreal
Nov 19, 2004
Thanks. I might have a look into that one. I've seen the front bearings and hubs for about £90 all in. As the cars still on the original bearings/hubs and is almost 11 years old with 145k miles, reckon I'll do it. When I do and have some time, I'll post up a guide.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members