Rear window de-mister problem?

DJXFM

Hi,

Have just had my 20,000 mile service on my Leon FR. I have noticed during this cold snap that one de-mister strip on the rear windscreen is not de-misting. I asked the service people in the Stealers to have a look at it, and lo and behold, they are not going to fix it under the warranty.

Apparently part of the strip has "burnt out". They claim it was caused by an umbrella or something. (Of course, they didn't tell me about that when I bought the car off them 6 months ago!). I do not remember scraping the window with anything from the boot and I have not found any damage along the strip during my own investigations.

Anyone had any other problems with the rear windscreen de-mister?? I'm thinking the dealership is pulling a fast one to avoid shelling out for a new rear window - any ideas appreciated!

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
If you go to Maplins you can get a little bottle of conductive paint with silver in it. you mask off and paint a little over the blown bit and it bridges the gap. Only cost you a couple of quid.

Here, I found some on Ebay but it's a little bit expensive. clicky

Last edited:

DJXFM

Thanks for your ideas. I'll try another stealers but failing that I think I've got some of that conductive silver paint stuff hiding away in a box somewhere! I knew it would come in handy one day!

Cheers.

Mr Cellotape

AKA Mr Ribbed
May 9, 2006
Warwickshire once.
Thats a load of tosh they are feeding you......on Friday of this week my rear window was completely replaced under warranty due to a couple of bars on the heated windscreen not working.

They even had to take the K1 spoiler off to do this, at which point they found the spoiler had been incorrectly fitted prior to delivery and was sitting over the third brake light and had broken it.

Its going in next week to get the rear light changed as well.

PS Ask them why if they knew an umbrella had done this damage they did not disclose this at the point of sale??????

Last edited:

DJXFM

I'd like to say thanks to everyone for their advice about this thread (some time ago now!) because after avoiding Lookers Stockport following their shabby service last year, the generous bunch at Manchester Seat gave me a great deal on a service and MOT and also are replacing the rear window under warranty without any bother at all.

Worth going in knowing your beans!!

Cheers.

Wire_Gal

Sep 20, 2010
Warrington, cheshire
Ooh thanks for resurecting this thread.. I too have the same problem with one of the bars not working.. Its in at the stealers today so think I will mention it.. and my alloys.. and the headlight misting up... Lol :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members