Removing gear knob and gaiter?

croakey

Hey!

maybe someone can give me advice on how i go about removing the gearknob from my 06 sport...

long story cut short..have a cracking plastic noise occasionally and a refusal to change gear (normally 2nd)..have taken it back to seat..and being the nice guys they are..they charged 37quid saying they couldnt establish a problem

so what i'm wanting to do is to take the knob and gaiter off... remove the knob from the gaiter...and drive with no gaiter on there leaving the gear selector mechanism exposed..so i can see for myself whats making the noise and problems

then i can go back..punch the service manager.. and get my 37quid back :)

cheers guys

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
lol ^^^ if its like the cupra the section of plastic nearer the dash slides off to the right and simply unclip by lift the rest of the gaitor upwards then remove the knob. have they checked the gear linkage that sounds like it could be a possibility m8

davels

soon 2B 2 wheeler!
Jun 16, 2006
Norwich
:lol:
if it's the same on all mk4's as it should be grab the plastic at the base of the gaiter in front of the stick and pull it up firmly then it should just slide up with the lower plastic bit attached too, then you'll find a brass clip, bend this so it slides off the gaiter support ring (flimsy plastic clip that hold the top of the gaiter flush with the bottom of the gear knob) unclip the clip, twist off knob, remove gaiter replace knob and brass clip. be carefull with the meatal clip as i broke mine when replacing the gear knob :cry:
i think thats how you do it, it's been a while since i done it, just be carefull NOT TO BRAKE THE CLIPS right pain in the :censored: if you do

croakey

cheers boy..i'm gunna have to have a bash 2moro..
proper ****s me off i bought a brand new car and even though its wrong..they wont fix it under warranty as in the 10 mins they looked at it they could suss it!

davels

soon 2B 2 wheeler!
Jun 16, 2006
Norwich
cheers boy..i'm gunna have to have a bash 2moro..
proper ****s me off i bought a brand new car and even though its wrong..they wont fix it under warranty as in the 10 mins they looked at it they could suss it!

DON'T get me started on the dealers :doh:

croakey

aint had chance yet..been flat out with uni work and proper work..plus its been pissing it down..

gunna have a look tomorrow, but i suspect the linkage is either faulty or theres something fallen into it

either way i'm going to find it, sort it, then punch the service manager :)

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
file a complaint about the lack of intrest in finding the problem with your vehicle then things might start rolling with the seat main stealers!

croakey

i am indeed...letter went off yesterday to SEAT UK...takes the piss charging to look at something that is clearly not right from day one.

not a happy bunny with amethyst cheltenham :)

davels

soon 2B 2 wheeler!
Jun 16, 2006
Norwich
if anyone out there has a name of a decent SEAT dealership i would like to know, as all i have heard and with personal experiance is that most are SH**E

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
all crap down where i live bad service! there is aseperate forrum on this site where you discuss seat dealerships good and bad should take a look!

croakey

i might just do that... VAG build quality and name FORD customer service... infact Ford customer service is actually better

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.