Replacing bulbs confusion and HID questions!

Aimez

last night i fitted new chrome indicator bulbs, i didnt remove any fuses before but they worked fine, when i got to work at 5am someone at work told me that one of my lights has gone. A few questions!

1.Just checked and driver side i think its called main beam blown?? see pics!! anyway is this because i didnt take a fuse out last night fitting the indicator bulbs?

2.I wanted to buy an HID kit but am not sure if these get through the MOT as they can't be adjusted and dont have washers?
Or should i just replace the bulb and forget it?

3.i have no idea what fuse to remove when i change the bulb as in the manual all the pics are upside down from the way you look at the lights and i dont know anything about fuses?!:doh:

Last question!
4 The manual say a few light options One reflector lights and double reflector lights i have no idea what my car has so can't buy the bulbs listed?!

Please if anyone can answer some of these questions id be happy as i drive very early in the morning in the dark and no how annoying it is when someone drives with a light gone!

davels

soon 2B 2 wheeler!
Jun 16, 2006
Norwich
well in regards to 4) this is nicked from another headlight question page but the little diagram below explains the difference between the single and duel headlights very well

it depends if you have double or single lights, single are H4 and double are H7 for dipped, you can tell by how they look.

If you are looking at the front of your car

Double are Oo (s) oO

single are ∞ (s) ∞

there are also pics in the owners manual too :)

Aimez

CIMG0031.jpg

IS it 43??

CIMG0030.jpg

CIMG0029.jpg

davels

soon 2B 2 wheeler!
Jun 16, 2006
Norwich
they are doubles :) so H7 for dipped beam and i think it's H3's for main not the H1 peeps have said on hear before iirc, and i have never removed fuses when replacing light bulbs :redface: , you normally find other bulbs go if you change 1 of them probably something to do with the change in voltage/ampage a new bulb uses :shrug:

Last edited:

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
nothing to do with not removing a fuse so don't feel bad

you may have banged it a little and they are quite delicate

you have bouble headlamps in the pic BTW

doubt it's a fuse, remove the bulb and check the filament, it should look like a coiled spring, if its all black and there are little bits floating about inside the glass then it has failed

Last edited:

Aimez

yep for doubles the handbook says H7 and H3, its the large light in the center thats gone is that called main beam?

Just seemed weird it went after i fitted the indicator bulbs where i didnt have to remove the plastic cover where that bulb is.
I never removed fuses on my old car when i replaced every bulb!

Looking at the bulb now it doesnt even look damaged the coil is still intacked and its not black.

Aimez

oh ok, main i assumed was largest as they are used the most, can't believe how crap the manual pics were made me even more confused!

Thanks guys at least i know which one to get now, ididnt even notice on the way to work but it was 5 am!

doesnt the ibiza give a warning light on dash when bulbs blown does in the crappy VW caddy at work!?

davels

soon 2B 2 wheeler!
Jun 16, 2006
Norwich
er hang on the so called main beam is the high brighter beam, the dipped beam is the one you use most of the time i would have though other wise everyone would flash you cos you blinding them:confused:

ps.. nah tis a shame they haven't put a warning light on the beeza even my 12 year prelude has one :doh:

cobain

sure the bulb has gone? sounds obvious but on my dip bulb the connector was a bit loose on the bulb, tweaked with the pliers and is fine! the main beam, dipped beam and sidelights are on 3 seperate fuses at least..... i think! so wasnt cuz you didnt take out the fuse! :)

hon_n_gem

Candy White K1
Mar 22, 2006
Kent
www.auto-tuner.co.uk
yeah i think its most likely to be a loose connection! i know that i knocked every damn wire when i was changing my bulbs yesterday! fitted new parking lights <---- there a pain to get to!

Aimez

well the bulb was really hard to remove so i don't think its that just noticed it says 12v 55w h7U on the bulb itself :doh: which my handbook says is dipped beam.

Im suprised its gone on other cars i had i havent changed them for years and the cars only an 04!

why does the frorum keep putting ****** on normal words??

Anyone know anything about my question 4?

davels

soon 2B 2 wheeler!
Jun 16, 2006
Norwich
why does the frorum keep putting ****** on normal words??

admin have added a new word filter that is to encourage people to use proper spelling and not text speak, it all about trying to keep posts so the make sense and keeps a more mature nature to threads i believe, but it does seem to pick up random words sometimes too:rolleyes:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise