replacing license plates

mike_allison

Nov 25, 2008
Aberdeen, Scotland
right got some new license plates. need to replace them looks like the current ones on the car have been glued on. how do i go about getting them off and securing the new ones to the car? do i need to buy anything else?

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
Usually they're held on with foam adhesive pads.

You just pull off the old plates - don't be surprised if they break. If you want you can remove the old pad remains with tar/bug remover or similar.

You'll then need new pads to secure the new plates - Halfords or the like will sort you out!

Feb 12, 2006
North Lincolnshire.
Did mine with screws after removing old plates as they where screwed on and already had the holes there.Anyway the point I'm trying to get across is that they really need to be secure so should be screwed for extra safety.By all means buy the sticky pads but you ought to use the good old battery drill too and get the correct colour caps for the screws.Black or White or Yellow as required.

Feb 12, 2006
North Lincolnshire.
And they can be drilled in the place you want to drill them.If you are carefull when you drill and place the holes far enough apart you won't need the sticky pads anyway.

MUFFIN

ready 2 return ;o)
Dec 3, 2006
North of Penzance
right got some new license plates. need to replace them looks like the current ones on the car have been glued on. how do i go about getting them off and securing the new ones to the car? do i need to buy anything else?

Another K1 owner fitting new number plates at the same time as me, weird..
Just awaiting mine from Irfan.
I bought some double sided foam tape from B&Q and it works fine. http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9254473&fh_view_size=10&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=double+sided+tape&fh_eds=%C3%9F&fh_refview=search&ts=1237758015333&isSearch=true
I won't be drilling and screwing mine:headhurt:

Done this loads of time in the last couple of years, just the tape works well.

littleandy0410

Done this loads of time in the last couple of years, just the tape works well.

You either need to start paying for your fuel, or the tape obviously doesn't work that well! :D

I've used the tape before on other cars, and it does work fine really. I got mine from WHSmiths, it's made by Sellotape I think. Annoyingly, both my plates are drilled, badly, so they're crooked, and the screws on the front are so far apart, I couldn't change to a square no. plate without having 2 holes in the front bumper either side.

O.T. Has anyone else got square plates fitted? My local dealer had several FRs for sale, all with square front plates. I quite like the look actually.

MUFFIN

ready 2 return ;o)
Dec 3, 2006
North of Penzance
You either need to start paying for your fuel, or the tape obviously doesn't work that well! :D

Me & Mrs both have own plates, had plates on that failed MOT (showplates) so had to do it a good few times, also if I get a flawed plate, water damaged I usually replace as it makes the car appear in better condition; there's nothin worse than a gleaming motor with poxy, faulty plates fitted - WONKY plates are a big NO NO also!
;)

littleandy0410

Mine aren't that wonky, I only notice when I'm washing it etc.

lesinge2k

Feb 18, 2009
Uttoxeter
I use velco to attach mine... you can get outdoor strength stuff that bonds very strongly... it also allows you to swap them for showplates etc

Lee Edgecombe

Photoshop ;)
Mar 16, 2009
South Wales
I used some heavy duty double sided tape for mine and there is no way in hell they are comin off with a fight lol i had to stick a screwdriver down the back and had to ease it off on my old car lol i found the stuff from halfords is crap cause i used to work there and used it.

can someone post a pic of a square no plate please i would like to see what it looks like cause i was thinking of gettin some.

SeanCorky

BMW E92 335i M Sport
Sep 4, 2008
Liverpool
car10.JPG

Its on the Aero kit but you get the idea!

(The car is DeanJ's by the way ;))

eddiel34

Jan 14, 2008
Me & Mrs both have own plates, had plates on that failed MOT (showplates) so had to do it a good few times, also if I get a flawed plate, water damaged I usually replace as it makes the car appear in better condition; there's nothin worse than a gleaming motor with poxy, faulty plates fitted - WONKY plates are a big NO NO also!
;)

I very lightly taped the MOT standard ones over my showplates. Tester said he had no intentions of trying to remove them. He just needs to see a legal plate on the car.:D

Lee Edgecombe

Photoshop ;)
Mar 16, 2009
South Wales
I very lightly taped the MOT standard ones over my showplates. Tester said he had no intentions of trying to remove them. He just needs to see a legal plate on the car.:D

yeh i was the same lol i had black plates on my old car and the guy who done my mot is a friend of my fathers so he just said it anyone asks u put them on after the mot :D but i then got pulled by cops a few months ago :( so i had to take them off.

littleandy0410

I like the look of square plates - virtually all the second hand FRs and Cupras for sale at Marshalls in Cambridge had them on.

thumb.asp

thumb.asp

thumb.asp

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise