respraying centre console

2zeroalpha

Chippin at the chalkface
Feb 12, 2008
Yorkshire
I've done a bit of a search around this and have found suggestions for respraying badges but not a lot on respraying interior plastics.

Has anyone resprayed their centre console surround and if so what paint did they use? I would like to get a high gloss black finish like on the copa edition.

RobsCupra

Oct 21, 2008
Wrexham
I've done a bit of a search around this and have found suggestions for respraying badges but not a lot on respraying interior plastics.

Has anyone resprayed their centre console surround and if so what paint did they use? I would like to get a high gloss black finish like on the copa edition.

Are the parts for the copa not readily avaiable? I was thinking this also.

2zeroalpha

Chippin at the chalkface
Feb 12, 2008
Yorkshire
I haven't enquired tbh. With it being such a limited run I was working on the assumption that they weren't.

The stealer says the normal radio surround is £8 plus VAT but couldn't find the vent surround part on the system. This at least means I can buy a spare and practise on it.

Oh there is an american company which supplies a gloss black dash kit but it's 11 pieces and over $100 which is more than I need and am willing to pay for.

Poverty

Not spray, dont you mean paint? All you need is some primer, paint and laquer I think. Oh and maybe some sand paper!

RobsCupra

Oct 21, 2008
Wrexham
I think DIY is the way forward... At £8 for a replacement its hardly going to break the bank if it doesn't work out!

jdearden

I am in the process of removing the console atm just to see how they come off for when I paint them.

The supercopa is a left hand drive only car therefore the centre console is the other way round....I think?

Poverty

I think DIY is the way forward... At £8 for a replacement its hardly going to break the bank if it doesn't work out!

Are the air vents 8 pounds or the center console?

Want to paint the vents, door trim, center console, and speedometer trim!

RobsCupra

Oct 21, 2008
Wrexham
Thats just for the radio surround 2zeroalpha posted. I'll be looking into it further this weekend so I'll let you know what I find!

joey_999

If your gonna respray your plastics properly u wil need a few things to do it, degreaser is a first make sure all your "bare plastics" are clean and free from any silicone!

Then key up the panel using sum scotch or fine sand paper. If you can get hold of it use sum plastic adhesion promoter it will help all the paint to stick to the surface. after that prime it and rub down untill smooth.

apply black or what eva colour your choosing, then the final coat of a good quality of laquer (it will giv it the depth and gloss u want) Sorry if i went on a bit im new to the website but i am a painter n if u hav n e other questions i can try an answer em 4 ya!!!

Poverty

If your gonna respray your plastics properly u wil need a few things to do it, degreaser is a first make sure all your "bare plastics" are clean and free from any silicone!

Then key up the panel using sum scotch or fine sand paper. If you can get hold of it use sum plastic adhesion promoter it will help all the paint to stick to the surface. after that prime it and rub down untill smooth.

apply black or what eva colour your choosing, then the final coat of a good quality of laquer (it will giv it the depth and gloss u want) Sorry if i went on a bit im new to the website but i am a painter n if u hav n e other questions i can try an answer em 4 ya!!!

No no dude, the more info the better!

Welcome and stick around, we could do with a knowledgeable guy like you! ;)

Dec 15, 2007
South East London
My centre console should be black and shiny by the weekend, will post some pics when its done, unless I stuff it up in which case I will be very quiet for a while as the stealer quoted me £73+vat for the binacle if I need a new one...
Car looks like a wreck at the moment with all the dash out, but I found a handy route for my sat nav aerial all the way across and up the A pillar and then along the top of the windscreen and behind the rear view mirror.... I used to get 3/4 out of 9 sats now I get 10 out of 15.... all helps i guess...
Also going to hard wire my sapphire snooper while the dash is out and got some other goodies on order... wish I was back at work would be less stressful...

Dec 15, 2007
South East London
I haven't enquired tbh. With it being such a limited run I was working on the assumption that they weren't.

The stealer says the normal radio surround is £8 plus VAT but couldn't find the vent surround part on the system. This at least means I can buy a spare and practise on it.

Oh there is an american company which supplies a gloss black dash kit but it's 11 pieces and over $100 which is more than I need and am willing to pay for.

Just for info, when i took the dash parts out the vent surround was the only bit with no recognisable part number on it.... so I REALLY want to get that bit right!

Also the 'dash kits' you mention look really good but are expensive and dont include the binacle (speedo bit) so would look poor I think....

clarkeg

Jul 27, 2008
Armagh, N. Ireland
As said above, I have sprayed quite a lot of plastic parts and ensure you "key" the surface with some high grit (600 or so) wet and dry paper so the primer can take to the shiney surface. Also ensure when you are buying primer that you buy plastic primer as it's what you need, 3-4 coats of colour with wet and dry 800 grit between coats to ensure a smooth reflective finish then a couple of coats of lacquer will do the job nicely :)

Clarke

Dec 15, 2007
South East London
Any "how to" tutorial or tips on how to remove these bits of trim?

I could post them and take credit, but I followed DanGBs tutorial, either the retro bluetooth or retro satnav ones in the FAQ... its got everything you need there including pics :D

Its actually not all that bad, the only thing I would add from Dans tutorial is that when you take the air con trim bit off from the actual vents all the slats fall off! They look quite fiddly to put back on, especially if you have hands like a bunch of bananas like I do.....

Last edited:

Rob GTI

Oct 28, 2004
South Wales
I could post them and take credit, but I followed DanGBs tutorial, either the retro bluetooth or retro satnav ones in the FAQ... its got everything you need there including pics :D

Its actually not all that bad, the only thing I would add from Dans tutorial is that when you take the air con trim bit off from the actual vents all the slats fall off! They look quite fiddly to put back on, especially if you have hands like a bunch of bananas like I do.....

What about the round air vents? I fancy taking these off and spraying to match as well.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise