Retrofitting the new 8" media screen

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Spotted just now on 'mqb coding & retrofit' Facbook page that they have upgraded the 6.5" screen to the 8" latest screen

For MY2016 and MY2015 Leons (2015 with Navhigh)

Sorry can't link as they don't have a webpage, just search mqb coding & retrofit on Facebook

Last edited:

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Thanks, I believe he is a member on here but not very active. Very helpful, advised me on wiring my reverse camera.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
My question wouldn't be, can you fit the bigger screen? It is why would you want to?

We have a pre and post facelift and neither my wife or I like the bigger screen. It's not that we dislike the screen itself, that's not an issue, but the removal of the direct access buttons is pain. You don't realize how good it is being able to go straight from the radio to the sat-nav and back again at the touch of one button until you cannot do it any more.

The bigger screen looks cool, which is why they did it obviously, but functionally it's worse. If you want to get a feeling of what it will be like, just tape over your direct access buttons for a week and only use the carousel menu to get around. Yeah, pretty annoying.

razmeister

May 28, 2018
Thanks, true those buttons are useful. I have always been a sucker for slim bezels though.

The main reason to upgrade, either to this or the older 6.5" unit is Android Auto / Apple Car Play. I have the older 5.8" model (2014) and it doesn't have this which would be very useful.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
The main reason to upgrade, either to this or the older 6.5" unit is Android Auto / Apple Car Play. I have the older 5.8" model (2014) and it doesn't have this which would be very useful.

The last pre-facelift system s functionally identical to the facelift one. It's the same system, they just removed the buttons. So with that you get the buttons plus the connectivity to want.

Reactions: razmeister
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members