Review of my 1 day old Cupra TDi 160

soupy-vtec

Hey guys, I've had my car a day now and I am very impressed. Bare in mind my last two cars were a Honda Civic type R and 310bhp Subaru Impreza Sti Prodrive.
I bought a new Ibiza Cupra TDi 160 with extra airbags, electric wing mirrors and cruise control. I know you are supposed to drive the car slowly for the first 1000km or something but I just give it the full blast right from the start.

I love the amount of grip the car gets in the dry, my old civic would spin the wheels in 3rd and even 4th in the wet where as the Ibiza seems to get the power down. Mind you this morning it was slightly wet and the traction light came on several times but still very pleased.

The standard speakers in the car are not bad either as long as the bass is turned down.

I never thought I could like a diesel but i think i've just changed my mind, no more having to rev to 8,500 rpm to get maximum power like on the civic.

The brakes are also quality on the cupra model and also look the part with red paint and their huge size just dominates the front alloys.

I found the car brilliant to drive on back road country lanes where the torque just pulls you out of the corners and the ESP keeps the car where it should be.

To be honest, very please with my purchase and I'll try and get photos up soon.

I'm sure you are all bored now, so I better shoot on.

Cheers Guys

Soupy

redcupratdi

Offical SCN Pole Dancer
Oct 13, 2005
cambridge
soupy-vtec said:
Hey guys, I've had my car a day now and I am very impressed. Bare in mind my last two cars were a Honda Civic type R and 310bhp Subaru Impreza Sti Prodrive.
I bought a new Ibiza Cupra TDi 160 with extra airbags, electric wing mirrors and cruise control. I know you are supposed to drive the car slowly for the first 1000km or something but I just give it the full blast right from the start.

I love the amount of grip the car gets in the dry, my old civic would spin the wheels in 3rd and even 4th in the wet where as the Ibiza seems to get the power down. Mind you this morning it was slightly wet and the traction light came on several times but still very pleased.

The standard speakers in the car are not bad either as long as the bass is turned down.

I never thought I could like a diesel but i think i've just changed my mind, no more having to rev to 8,500 rpm to get maximum power like on the civic.

The brakes are also quality on the cupra model and also look the part with red paint and their huge size just dominates the front alloys.

I found the car brilliant to drive on back road country lanes where the torque just pulls you out of the corners and the ESP keeps the car where it should be.

To be honest, very please with my purchase and I'll try and get photos up soon.

I'm sure you are all bored now, so I better shoot on.

Cheers Guys

Soupy

the grip is really good in the dry take it slowly in the wet
i've got a remapped one and it doens't ativate tcs in 1st if you play with the pedels.

the speakers are ok

i was well impressed with performance untill a mk3 cupra left me for dead :drool: n so got a remap and now can easily keep with remapped mk3 cupra, cornering it light and steering real responsive and i love the way it has hardly any bodyroll and feels planted coming out of bends.

the torque is fantastic :D

nice pick of cars mate, wait till its fully run in and remapped with coilovers lol

the funs just began!! :funk:

one more thing brakes :D

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
Agree, get it remapped and you'll love it more, I had 1000 miles on the clock and got it done, Not sure why I waited so long though!!

soupy-vtec

I said to myself I wouldn't do any mods to this car, and now after speaking to you guys, I'm already thinking of a remap. LOL

This time I wanna be totally insured, I don't wanna get a remap with out telling the insurance company.

Just outta interest, how much does it cost for a remap?? Is a revo the best or superchips or anyother make???

Cheers for the info guys!!

Ps does it invalidate the warranty?

sssstew

Editing your spelling
soupy-vtec said:
I know you are supposed to drive the car slowly for the first 1000km or something but I just give it the full blast right from the start.

yup, very nice indeed soupy. Oh and giving it full blast from the start will be fine, its better for the tdi engine, will loosen up quicker and give better performance/mpg sooner, just ensure the oils up to temp before thrashing.

revo is about £500, you can get others like custom code and jabba and star etc, theres loads of info on here so have a searchy. Superchips arent recommended again have a search.

warranty - yes and no, depends on the dealer.

Civic_Legend

Jun 7, 2005
Ash
Mate I've thrashed the living christ out of mine (inc remap) from day one and its responded well to it - loosened up a lot, although I still can't crack a GPS indicated 140 mph - any diesel owner who says they have has either had a following wind or NOS ;) . Anyway, get it mapped and you'll be troubling the traction in 1st gear and torque-steering like a wild thing in 2nd and 3rd - its quite a raw beast to drive midrange.

Try 'celtic tuning' for a remap, they did sterling service on mine.

Jun 7, 2006
Norfolk, Norwich
dont drive like me lol

i am a granny shifter...

i noticed it today :( i rev round to about 2300rpm and shift revs drop to 1600 and go through it again.. it dont seem to mind me doing it and i am gettting 54mpg now had her 2 weeks and done 1400 miles :)

great choice mate..

Smee

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Glad to hear you're enjoying the car Soupy, it will get better and better as the miles count up too.

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
soupy-vtec said:
I said to myself I wouldn't do any mods to this carQUOTE]
:lol: Yeah right mate if you say so. If you don`t want to start modding your car stay away from this site it`s cost me a fortune !
As for standard remaps £350-£500 but PLEASE do a site search and work out which is best for you and how you want to drive your car and the plans if any you have if you do more engine modifying. Believe me its been written about hundreds of time each mouth so you have plenty of info to make your mind up. The PD Cupra is a great car a standard and with a few tweaks i got to go quite well, it is possible to take the engine to 300bhp if you want. The only reason i bought a Audi PD quattro instead of getting another Cupra was that i need 4WD because i was getting into traction problems with the power i had on the last car.

sssstew

Editing your spelling
Smee said:
dont drive like me lol

i am a granny shifter...

i noticed it today :( i rev round to about 2300rpm and shift revs drop to 1600 and go through it again.. it dont seem to mind me doing it and i am gettting 54mpg now had her 2 weeks and done 1400 miles :)

great choice mate..

Smee

yep agreed, please dont drive like smee!

your not doing it any good smee, merely lengthening the time it takes to run in and get best performance/economy. And putting some early soot into the intake etc.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
sssstew said:
your not doing it any good smee, merely lengthening the time it takes to run in and get best performance/economy. And putting some early soot into the intake etc.
I don't think this debate will ever end :)

Triple D

I averaged 62.5 mpg on a 106 mile journey home today :) and that is with alot of mods. You can still get good mpg out of it even if you do stupid amounts of mods.:) Enjoy the car mate, and like others have said, if your not gonna mod it, then you had better get off this forum :lol: as it is a spiraling slope ;)

driveforward

Is at the Nürburgring
Nov 5, 2002
www.driveforward.com
As already mentioned, lead foot it from the word go.. the end result is that you'll have a car that performs better than those that were wrapped in cotton wool, and your MPG will be better.

Up to about 25K you'll find it just keeps on performing better - Just wait till you get about 40K on the clock - just about run in by then!

Triple D

redcupratdi said:
spaniels fr said:
I averaged 62.5 mpg on a 106 mile journey home today :)
that's because you only producing 192bhp :p

seroiusly to get that mpg you must be driving like a granny, i got 33mpg on a 50mile trip today and loved every part!:drive1:
Yep i was driving like a granny, and it was great :) didnt go above 60 mph on the motorway and was slip streaming cars and lorries so i didnt use as much fuel :lol: i have just been out and averaged 18.7 mpg :roflmao: oops.
And as for the 192.8 bhp its not running that at all :cry: its running much more as they didnt test it properly, and didnt request full boost so :birdy: :lol:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members