jamiebennett81

Well I decided to get stuck in - I pulled off the intercooler pipe, inlet, oil feed line, etc., etc. and found quite alot of oil at both the inlet and the IC side too, plus there is a good 2-3mm of play in the shaft so it's goosed!

Just waiting on some 'Plus Gas' penetrating spray (supposed to be very good) and I'll spray all the nuts and bolts, leave overnight then remove the turbo and send it to CR Turbos.

Rob doesn't the 360 thrust bearing considerably reduce play in the shaft? I recall this is what CR Turbo's said to me when they were doing the work, allowing for higher or stronger boost as well as better duarbility out of the turbo.....

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Waste of time, they only produce around 305bhp on the FWD. Gt28R is supposed to spool up much faster and will make roughly the same power, slightly less probably.

I think I'll be sending my turbo to CR to work their magic - it may well make over 300 anyway!

Yeah, I think that's what I'd do - go for a proper GT28RS kit

While I totally agree with what Feel and m0rk have said about going for a proper GT28RS kit......

305bhp - yes well that'll be mine. a) dyno lottery b)dyno lottery c) mine's not yet mapped to it's full potential. Several respected people have said there's another 30bhp to be had...... (I haven't had time to do some preparatory logging to get this moved on)

I just find it strange that you are all willing to accept the limitation of a the GTRS Eliminator, yet blindly have faith that the GT2x can be altered to give the same........... :shrug:

Last edited:

RobDon

Pro Detailer
While I totally agree with what Feel and m0rk have said about going for a proper GT28RS kit......

305bhp - yes well that'll be mine. a) dyno lottery b)dyno lottery c) mine's not yet mapped to it's full potential. Several respected people have said there's another 30bhp to be had...... (I haven't had time to do some preparatory logging to get this moved on)

I just find it strange that you are all willing to accept the limitation of a the GTRS Eliminator, yet blindly have faith that the GT2x can be altered to give the same........... :shrug:

Not just yours, most GTRS on FWD make around the 300-305 mark, never seen higher so far. The TT/S3 Quattro straight through design is far better and plenty of GTRS Elims have made 330bhp at 1.5 BAR of boost on the stock manifold, probably because the exhaust gasses don't have to make a 90 turn into the downpipe.

Not blind faith no, I don't talk the GT2X up as being a great turbo, although it's not bad at all, biggest plus for it is that it fits in a small, limited space and offers decent performance, anything bigger and the inlet becomes a major problem.

Last edited:

jamiebennett81

Yes, the 360 bearing allows for more boost to be run safely.

CR Turbos just emailed me to say as soon as I have the turbo off they'll have it collected - good company or what!

they are indeed a great company, very quick turn around

at this present moment, reconning the turbo and getting this fixed and uprated at the same time is by far the most suitable option for instant replacement and keeping costs to a minimum

are they investigating the turbo first then quoting for what work needs to be done I guess?

RobDon

Pro Detailer
It is yes. They'll dis-assemble the turbo to find out the problem I'm sure, then contact me with repair and upgrade options and costs.

Considering the price of a JBS04 and tubular manifold is around £2k - same as the GT28RS Backdraft top-mount base kit, it looks ever more appealing as I could take my time and do it in stages as funds allow.

RobDon

Pro Detailer
This true yes, although the 'dyno lottery' kicks in with 300 from a GT2X as it's only rated to 290! The GT2X gave me 281bhp at 1.3 BAR of boost.

I'm very hopeful the work CR can do would see it over 300bhp, if JBS can squeeze 306bhp from a K03S hybrid after all! ;)

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2005
London
yes, but i was talking to issam and he said that you probably wouldnt notice the difference between a well set up gt2x and a gt28r, just numbers really but imo getting it reworked should make a difference

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Very true yes, any difference would be minimal, nobody has the GT28R anyway so I've ruled that out.

I'll have CR rework the GT2X and see what it's like, if water-cooling is affordable I'll get that done to it too - with machined housings, larger compressor and exhaust wheels, stronger bearings, new oil seals, different actuator arm and an oil restrictor - it should be quite a kick-a55 little turbo!

We'll find out soon! :D

jamiebennett81

yes, but i was talking to issam and he said that you probably wouldnt notice the difference between a well set up gt2x and a gt28r, just numbers really but imo getting it reworked should make a difference

indeed, all just numbers mate and for the "on the road" difference would be be nothing at all and all down to driver ability

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Eliminators never make their max numbers anyway, you'll never see 350bhp from a GTRS Eliminator, in transverse form they struggle to get over 300! I've never seen ATP saying the GT2X will ever do 300bhp - optimistic dyno if it did.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.